OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Like most things in life, moderation is key. I think the concerns are still incredibly small in comparison to many things we partake in as a society, but everyone has their threshold of what they'll expose themselves to. Lots of things to concern ourselves with really. I'm pretty risk averse when it comes to things like alcohol, driving, travel, std's, pharmaceuticals, etc., so I guess I'm just picking my poison I am willing to accept the bad of, and I just try to live a balanced life of eating well, getting lots of exercise, good sleep, vitamins/supplements, 5 liters of water a day, etc.

Regular prescriptions are a pretty big part of many peoples lives, and I don't see this as all that different. I use it mostly for sleep, but also to be able to just generally settle instead of putzing and needing to move 24/7, and I've had multiple doctors and therapists agree that if it is effective, why not? It is just the same as if they were to prescribe me something to try to counteract those things, and comes with less side effects, or at least side effects I'd prefer.

I think the comparison to prescription cures is very apt. I would easily agree that many of those are worse. Personally I don't go in for those either though :) I even try to keep myself to one coffee a day, and save it for the afternoon. But it's less a question of health for me than it is of preserving my freedom by trying to avoid any sort of dependence.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
My girlfriend is pregnant with our daughter so I might need to sell my car and buy something a bit more practical, but I still want something fun or sporty, but on a budget price. We just bought our house so money is a bit tight so no BMW M, Mercedes AMG, or Audi RS suggestions haha. I wish though. She just got a Nissan rogue so at least we have one car for the kid already.

Looking for:
-4 doors
-250-300hp
-preferably AWD but it's not a must
-preferably sedan as I don't like hatchbacks on cars.
-preferably a DCT automatic
- 1-4 years old
-25k-35k on the used market with low mileage

My options so far:

Subaru WRX:
Pros: it has the power, the AWD, the 4 doors, and they start at 34k new, so could easily find a used one In the 20s.
Cons: I would go for the manual but my gf doesn't want manual, so I'd be stuck with CVT. I really wanted to own a DCT car once in my life before everything is electric or something.

Hyundai Elantra/Kona N : I'd go Elantra because I prefer sedan over crossover/hatchback/compact SUV.
Pros: has the power and all the cool performance features like adjustable steering stiffness, suspension stiffness, exhaust noise, etc. fast posted times. Has DCT.
Cons: is FWD

I've been recommended civic SI but it doesn't have the power I'd want.

I've been recommended golf GTI but it's more expensive than the Elantra N, while having less performance features than the N, and posting slower lap times.

Anything I'm missing? Another sedan with 250-300hp and performance features for a good price?
Kona N, for sure. Man, they are so cheap now that you can easily get one with low km's for 30 or under. Also, Kona N's are cheaper than Elantra N. I would only get the Elantra N over the Kona if I wanted a manual. The Kona N looks good; it's a tad cheapish on the inside, but man, is it a fun car to drive. You will definitely need good winter tires for it. It is a very stiff ride, though, so make sure you test drive it a good amount. Even in eco mode, the suspension is very stiff, but hit that N button and, oh, babbbby.

Kona N over GTI all day. I would only get the gold if it was the R, but those are like 30k more.

However I would get a used g70 3.3t over anything you listed; they are 365 hp, and you can get one for around 30k

Last edited:

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Chilean referee screwed us. One bad call after another.

Ironic, Chile and Argentina are not the friendliest. But then again, CONMEBOL does not want to be embarrassed by the Northern Colonizers who call it soccer.
Some of the non calls last night were brutal. Idk how that injury to Davies doesn't garner a yellow and a free kick.

Reactions: bicboi64

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Some of the non calls last night were brutal. Idk how that injury to Davies doesn't garner a yellow and a free kick.
It has been this way for a while. Once Canada and the USA began to make head ways, refereeing became a political tool.

Had the sport been a tad more successful here, I would advocate for leaving Concacaf and joining Australia and New Zealand and some of the Pacific Island nations, possibly Japan and China and forming a Confederation that way! But costs are prohibitive.

The tragedy is, it cost us the game. Players get beat up. They retaliate and they get carded.

Had the Caribbean and central America been a tad more financially affluent, we could leave the South Americans alone and not bother with Copa America or invite them to the Gold Cup.

Victor Montagliani had this man had any dignity, he would resign

Reactions: Relapsing

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Finally saw the Daigle documentary. God I wish the awareness we had for mental health and sports psychology was there back in 1993.

Also, can anyone confirm if Daigle actually said "I'm glad I got picked first because no one remembers #2" or was that just something the media came up with and rolled with.

Sens management can go eff themselves as well, they set him up for failure with all that money and not insulating him with good vets. If the media is going to be nuts, its the teams' responsibility to level things out

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Finally saw the Daigle documentary. God I wish the awareness we had for mental health and sports psychology was there back in 1993.

Also, can anyone confirm if Daigle actually said "I'm glad I got picked first because no one remembers #2" or was that just something the media came up with and rolled with.

Sens management can go eff themselves as well, they set him up for failure with all that money and not insulating him with good vets. If the media is going to be nuts, its the teams' responsibility to level things out

He said it, but if I recall he explained on a recent podcast about how the sentiment of it was overblown because of the language barriers. Basically, like saying being picked number 1 is a big honour.

He went to the worst possible situation. I don't think it was the fault of management for not insulating him, because how were they realistically going to accomplish that? They had no real assets. They didn't have money. They weren't an attractive free agent destination.

I haven't seen the documentary yet, so I don't know if it covers this, but a big reason Daigle got the contract he did was because the Senators were already at risk to relocate. While I respect Bruce Firestone's hustle, and it doesn't seem like he did anything dishonest, let's be real, that ownership group probably should not have been first choice to get a team. We got the team partly because the NHL was busche league at that time and prioritized the groups who didn't blink at the upfront money rather than putting franchises in the best place for long-term success.

My timeline might be mixed up, but if I recall there were offers to move Ottawa to Anaheim when a bunch of stuff fell through related to financing and building the arena in Kanata. They couldn't realistically play at the Civic Centre long term. The Nordiques had commissioned a study about the marketing impact of Lindros, and both the Nordiques and Senators needed Daigle, not for his on ice ability, but for what his marketing appeal could do to help them secure investors and financing to build their arenas and avoid having to sell/relocate their teams. In fact, it's an urban legend that Daigle was seen as a generational star like Lindros or Gretzky. He was seen as a superstar 1st overall type, but Pronger very well could have gone #1.

All of the above is going off memory based off reading a few books years ago, so I could be entirely wrong. One thing I never understood about Bruce Firestone talking about the team is that he had an article a few years back talking about how he considered other locations for the arena, but I always interpreted that the team was only possible with his group because he had the scheme to buy up Kanata farmland around the arena and use the franchise as leverage to get it rezoned, which would cause the value of the land to shoot up and allow them to leverage it to the banks for the funds needed to buy the team. While I liked parts of Bruce Firestone's book, I would like if someone would write a straight forward chronological account of the business aspect of the first few years of the team while completely ignoring any personal stuff, or even any on ice stuff. Daigle was a big part of all that, apparently.

Along with Firestone's book, two other books that cover this era of the team to some extent are Road Games by Roy McGregor and The NHL A Centennial History by D'Arcy Jennish. Both available at the Ottawa library, or on Ottawa thrift store shelves near you.

Something like a 30 for 30 documentary on this could be very compelling, but I'm not sure how they find legitimate sources who will tell the complete story without contradicting themselves. At best, if there is any truth to Daigle's marketing value helping keep the team in Ottawa, it would be nice if that story was told because it certainly would shed a different light on his career and his legacy here.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Didn't want to create a thread for this so I'm dropping it here.

I like to do some data analysis and I put together these statistical player comparisons. Basically it's the 'most similar players' for a handful of guys, based on statistical similarity in some stats going back ten years.

It's kind of preliminary but I was hoping to get some thoughts on whether these pass the "sniff" test. For context, this is only based on the last 10 years or so of data and it's largely comparing the players at their peaks, taking their stats relative to the rest of the league's players in a given year/position.

It also only includes a small number of basic stats at this point, so it's captures more stat production rather than actual playing style.

Thoughts? Do these seem accurate to people?

Any other player you'd like to see (sens or otherwise)?

Artem_Zub
[1] "Tucker Poolman (0.9)" "Derek Forbort (0.9)" "Matt Hunwick (0.9)"
[4] "Alexei Emelin (0.86)" "Brenden Dillon (0.86)" "Brandon Manning (0.85)"
[7] "Niko Mikkola (0.85)" "Calvin de Haan (0.84)" "Sheldon Brookbank (0.84)"

Brady_Tkachuk
[1] "Brenden Morrow (0.85)" "Scott Hartnell (0.84)" "Ryan Malone (0.84)"
[4] "Micheal Ferland (0.83)" "Alex Ovechkin (0.83)" "Ryane Clowe (0.82)"
[7] "Timo Meier (0.81)" "Nick Ritchie (0.81)" "Matthew Tkachuk (0.81)"

Claude_Giroux
[1] "Ryan O'Reilly (0.95)" "Sam Gagner (0.95)" "Connor McDavid (0.95)"
[4] "Mark Scheifele (0.94)" "Pavel Datsyuk (0.94)" "Patrice Bergeron (0.94)"
[7] "Ryan Strome (0.94)" "J.T. Miller (0.93)" "Leon Draisaitl (0.92)"

David_Perron
[1] "Justin Williams (0.93)" "Filip Forsberg (0.91)" "Joe Pavelski (0.91)"
[4] "Johan Franzen (0.91)" "Bryan Rust (0.9)" "Vladimir Tarasenko (0.9)"
[7] "Shane Doan (0.9)" "Corey Perry (0.9)" "James Neal (0.89)"

Drake_Batherson
[1] "Patric Hornqvist (0.93)" "Alexander Radulov (0.93)" "Kyle Palmieri (0.92)"
[4] "Alex Tuch (0.89)" "Alex Galchenyuk (0.86)" "Oliver Bjorkstrand (0.86)"
[7] "Joe Pavelski (0.86)" "Jarome Iginla (0.85)" "Bobby Ryan (0.85)"

Jacob_Bernard-Docker
[1] "Karlis Skrastins (0.87)" "Jaycob Megna (0.85)" "Hal Gill (0.82)"
[4] "Jeff Schultz (0.81)"

Jake_Sanderson
[1] "Joni Pitkanen (0.9)" "Noah Dobson (0.86)" "Evan Bouchard (0.86)"
[4] "Justin Schultz (0.86)" "David Schlemko (0.86)" "John Klingberg (0.85)"
[7] "Jamie McBain (0.82)" "Sami Salo (0.81)" "Lubomir Visnovsky (0.81)"

Josh_Norris
[1] "Steven Stamkos (0.87)" "Gabriel Vilardi (0.86)" "Auston Matthews (0.86)"
[4] "Brock Nelson (0.86)" "Vincent Lecavalier (0.85)" "Brayden Point (0.85)"
[7] "Matt Duchene (0.84)" "Sean Monahan (0.84)" "Rickard Rakell (0.84)"

Matthew_Highmore
[1] "Par Lindholm (0.95)" "Gaetan Haas (0.95)" "Ryan Johnson.1 (0.94)"
[4] "Michael Bournival (0.9)" "Philip Varone (0.88)" "Blair Jones (0.88)"
[7] "Byron Froese (0.87)" "Blair Betts (0.85)" "Tom Wandell (0.82)"

Michael_Amadio
[1] "Michael Bournival (0.82)"

Nick_Jensen
[1] "Toni Lydman (0.89)" "Andrew Ference (0.88)" "Alexander Sulzer (0.87)"
[4] "Erik Gustafsson.1 (0.84)" "Cody Ceci (0.83)" "Mikey Anderson (0.83)"
[7] "Carl Gunnarsson (0.82)" "John Marino (0.82)" "Michal Rozsival (0.81)"

Noah_Gregor
[1] "Luke Glendening (0.83)" "Darroll Powe (0.82)" "Brian Boyle (0.82)"

Rourke_Chartier
[1] "Petteri Nokelainen (0.95)" "Justin Dowling (0.93)" "Colby Cave (0.93)"
[4] "Maxime Macenauer (0.92)" "Kyle Rau (0.91)" "Matt Ellis (0.91)"
[7] "Tanner Laczynski (0.9)" "Mikhail Vorobyov (0.9)" "Adam Mair (0.89)"

Thomas_Chabot
[1] "P.K. Subban (0.93)" "Shayne Gostisbehere (0.92)" "Roman Josi (0.9)"
[4] "Zach Werenski (0.9)" "Torey Krug (0.9)" "John-Michael Liles (0.89)"
[7] "Josh Morrissey (0.89)" "Drew Doughty (0.89)" "Erik Karlsson (0.89)"

Tim_Stutzle
[1] "Roope Hintz (0.89)" "John Tavares (0.87)" "Nathan MacKinnon (0.87)"
[4] "Vincent Trocheck (0.87)" "Connor McDavid (0.86)" "Tage Thompson (0.85)"
[7] "Aleksander Barkov (0.85)" "Nick Suzuki (0.84)" "Bo Horvat (0.84)"

Travis_Hamonic
[1] "Zach Bogosian (0.93)" "Brayden McNabb (0.92)" "Braydon Coburn (0.9)"
[4] "Adam Larsson (0.9)" "Jacob Trouba (0.89)" "Scott Mayfield (0.89)"
[7] "Adam Pelech (0.89)" "MacKenzie Weegar (0.88)" "Connor Murphy (0.88)"

Zack_MacEwen
[1] "Mark Kastelic (0.98)" "Zac Rinaldo (0.97)" "John Hayden (0.95)"
[4] "Liam O'Brien (0.95)" "Andy Andreoff (0.94)" "Brad Malone (0.93)"
[7] "Michael Pezzetta (0.91)" "Kyle Chipchura (0.9)" "Maxim Lapierre (0.9)"

Daniel_Alfredsson
[1] "Gustav Nyquist (0.95)" "Blake Wheeler (0.94)" "Jason Pominville (0.93)"
[4] "Marian Hossa (0.92)" "Loui Eriksson (0.92)" "Jack Roslovic (0.92)"
[7] "Jordan Eberle (0.91)" "Ilya Kovalchuk (0.91)" "Filip Forsberg (0.9)"

Zdeno_Chara
[1] "Brady Skjei (0.96)" "Shea Weber (0.95)" "Mark Giordano (0.95)"
[4] "Mattias Ekholm (0.94)" "Jake Muzzin (0.94)" "Kris Letang (0.94)"
[7] "Johnny Boychuk (0.94)" "Justin Faulk (0.93)" "Hampus Lindholm (0.93)"

Connor_McDavid
[1] "Nathan MacKinnon (0.96)" "Jason Spezza (0.95)" "Sidney Crosby (0.95)"
[4] "Mark Scheifele (0.95)" "Leon Draisaitl (0.95)" "Claude Giroux (0.95)"
[7] "John Tavares (0.94)" "Clayton Keller (0.94)" "William Nylander (0.93)"

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This is also right after Lindros. After he refused to play for the Nordique owners, and got a big payday from Philly, Ottawa pretty much had to hand a bag over to Daigle. Daigle was getting huge hype from the time he was 16. Not quite McDavid/Bedard level, but very close.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Thoughts on this idea:
JBD to San Jose for Jan Rutta (50% retained) - 1.375 x 1yr

Minor assets can be added either way to even it out if needed.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Kona N, for sure. Man, they are so cheap now that you can easily get one with low km's for 30 or under. Also, Kona N's are cheaper than Elantra N. I would only get the Elantra N over the Kona if I wanted a manual. The Kona N looks good; it's a tad cheapish on the inside, but man, is it a fun car to drive. You will definitely need good winter tires for it. It is a very stiff ride, though, so make sure you test drive it a good amount. Even in eco mode, the suspension is very stiff, but hit that N button and, oh, babbbby.

Kona N over GTI all day. I would only get the gold if it was the R, but those are like 30k more.

However I would get a used g70 3.3t over anything you listed; they are 365 hp, and you can get one for around 30k

Is the suspension tighter than a genesis coupe? Because that's much stiffer than most cars out there already, so it might be exactly what I'm used to.

I was leaning more toward the Elantra at first, but our new house we just bought has one side of the garage is a bit shorter...the Elantra won't fit but the Kona will.

But then that got me thinking...2022 Kona vs 2019 gold R? Both are around 30k give or take

Never thought of the g70. I know their specs, but just assumed they would be way more than 30k for a couple year old one.

Is it not more of a luxury car though? Like it has the horsepower...but does it have adjustable suspension, steering, adjustable exhaust?

My uncle has a Corvette, and I must say, I love the ability to make the exhaust loud or quiet from the push of a button. Saves you a grand or two from having to buy an exhaust system...and then it's always loud and pisses off the neighbours.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is the suspension tighter than a genesis coupe? Because that's much stiffer than most cars out there already, so it might be exactly what I'm used to.

I was leaning more toward the Elantra at first, but our new house we just bought has one side of the garage is a bit shorter...the Elantra won't fit but the Kona will.

But then that got me thinking...2022 Kona vs 2019 gold R? Both are around 30k give or take

Never thought of the g70. I know their specs, but just assumed they would be way more than 30k for a couple year old one.

Is it not more of a luxury car though? Like it has the horsepower...but does it have adjustable suspension, steering, adjustable exhaust?

My uncle has a Corvette, and I must say, I love the ability to make the exhaust loud or quiet from the push of a button. Saves you a grand or two from having to buy an exhaust system...and then it's always loud and pisses off the neighbours.
What kind of Garage won't fit an elantra? That seems really small.... Did the previous owners do some built in cabinets or something that cause the issue?

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Players will always take what is given to them and ask for more when they are not worth it. There is no way in telling how good a player will become. Some players make it to the NHL based on their skill at the time and never develop further. Case in point Danny Heatley. Management thought they were getting the next big North American Star and Daigle thought he was the next great North American star.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

The g70 is a luxury/sports sedan it has adaptive suspension I believe, the car come alive in sports mode like the Kona in N mode. You can deff get the last gen for low 30s.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What kind of Garage won't fit an elantra? That seems really small.... Did the previous owners do some built in cabinets or something that cause the issue?

There's a diagonal wall on the right side door. The left door is fine and will fit a long car. I would rather put both of my cars in. So now it looks like hatchbacks are back in. The Kona being like 1.7ft shorter than the Elantra makes all the difference in the world.

To be fair, I think the Elantra would fit, but according to my measurements, with like less than an inch or two of play total. Don't want to have to park with half an inch at the front and back lol.

The g70 is a luxury/sports sedan it has adaptive suspension I believe, the car come alive in sports mode like the Kona in N mode. You can deff get the last gen for low 30s.

Interesting. I'll have to check videos of the exhaust in eco vs sport mode.

I like how completely different the exhaust can sound in models with those options. Saves you a lot of money and from angry neighbours. But then again, I think it's even longer and wider than my genesis coupe, so that's now a factor going against it haha. (Before, I wanted a sedan...how things change in a week)

Reactions: Micklebot

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Season ticket question. Figure this is more loungey.

If upfront money is not an issue, what makes more sense?

Scoop up random cheap Sens tickets on the secondary market? Or sell the most lucrative tickets from a half Season ticket package (home opener, Leafs, etc)?

Obviously, season tickets come with other benefits now since they are trying to make up for a decade of this team going full Melnyk. So that factors in as well.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

Darwin Nunez must be Mike Millbury's long lost son. I love south Americans.

I wonder if he hit those fans with their own shoe

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
In fact, it's an urban legend that Daigle was seen as a generational star like Lindros or Gretzky. He was seen as a superstar 1st overall type, but Pronger very well could have gone #1.

Daigle was seen as an Yzerman or Sakic type at the draft. Those were the comparisons Bob McKenzie used on the draft broadcast. But he was also one of those prospects who got hyped years before he was drafted, like Lindros, Spezza, Lafrenierre, etc. Daigle was also pretty close to a consensus at #1. There might have been the odd scout who would have taken Pronger #1 but not many.

I believe Daigle's contract also had some money paid for his promotional rights. This was the time where teams seemed to believe superstars would make huge endorsements.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Daigle was seen as an Yzerman or Sakic type at the draft. Those were the comparisons Bob McKenzie used on the draft broadcast. But he was also one of those prospects who got hyped years before he was drafted, like Lindros, Spezza, Lafrenierre, etc. Daigle was also pretty close to a consensus at #1. There might have been the odd scout who would have taken Pronger #1 but not many.

I believe Daigle's contract also had some money paid for his promotional rights. This was the time where teams seemed to believe superstars would make huge endorsements.

The Senators justified his contract because it made the Senators a partner in his marketing rights.

Daigle came during the hockey card boom of the early 90s. That played a part in his hype to more casual fans who previously were less interested in the draft or prospects. Look at someone like Lecavalier coming into the league a few years later, or even Joe Thornton. The hockey card fad had died and wouldn't heat up again until Crosby came into the league. I think that the mania behind there being another "Gretzky rookie card" played into how much fans endorsed the idea that Daigle was this generational prospect. They wanted him to be a big deal, like Lindros, and Gretzky before him.

Sens scouts weren't unanimous on Daigle, but when there were issues with the CTC financing, they were told in no uncertain terms that they were taking him. They likely would have came to that same conclusion anyways, but I think it's important to point this out because history has contorted the Daigle story like he was a Crosby or McDavid type pick who busted. When the reality is that he was really hyped, but he was not a generational prospect.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Agreed, but I'd say the media had a huge role in hyping Daigle up as the "Next One", especially since he was Francophone

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Batteries? No.

Trolling motors? A little.

*puts on old man ranting story hat

As my brother and I got older, our family camping trips graduated from the usual family camp grounds like Bon Echo, to more adventurous trips into Algonquin. First through Achray Station, later to hike and canoe in spots further into the interior. We had a favorite spot we would regularly get to, that was a canoe in only site.

We only had the one canoe, and too much gear, so poor mom and dad would have to make multiple trips in the canoe, trading off which one took a kid in the canoe, and which one stayed on shore with the other.

As you can imagine, they grew pretty tired of the amount of effort required, but none of us wanted to give up on this gem of a site we had found through sheer luck.

So one spring day, dad decided enough was enough. Down he went into the basement workshop. Much sawing and cursing was heard. A trip to the store for supplies. Then another. More sounds of tinkering and fabricating. Then up he hauled his latest invention....

... The maverick made himself a clamp on bracket he could put on the side of the canoe to mount a brand new electric trolling motor!

I've never seen a canoe move like that before. The first trip he made, he gunned it, and that nose lifted right out of the water. First time I'd seen a canoe move with only a third of the hull actually in the water.
Exactly what is going on. Ordered the battery charger today. Have all the other things. Putting together a rig for my father. Minn Kota 45 lbs thrust transome mount trolling motor, 100ah lithium battery, battery box with the built in breakers and 12v plugins, transome mount. Hope I can get it all sorted and make it easy for him. All he wants to do is fish without the hassel of a boat.

Reactions: Relapsing

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Exactly what is going on. Ordered the battery charger today. Have all the other things. Putting together a rig for my father. Minn Kota 45 lbs thrust transome mount trolling motor, 100ah lithium battery, battery box with the built in breakers and 12v plugins, transome mount. Hope I can get it all sorted and make it easy for him. All he wants to do is fish without the hassel of a boat.
He will have an absolute blast!

Just remind him not to gun it once he gets out on the water!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad