Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Ya, why would we want to compare the Sens to one of the best run franchises in the NHL?

Still waiting for an actual response...

If you don't like the TB comparison, feel free to comment on the Sens TV revenues relative to the league and the increase over the last decade, or doesn't that fit your agenda.

How can I comment on the Sens TV revenues relative to the league if I've never seen those numbers?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Hmmm, interesting, wasn't it the 2013-2014 season where Melnyk low-balled Alfie forcing him to sign with Detroit and began the demise of Eugene Melnyk in the eyes of Ottawa Senators fans??

This was also around the time when the off-ice in game experience took a nosedive as well.

What do the numbers look like pre-2013-2014?

I don't know. Go look it up.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
giphy.gif

Oh right, you have no idea what you are talking about :laugh:

SSE, CSMI and the Canadian Tire Center unequivocally make money (maybe not as much as some posters around here think, but they do).

I'm not gonna blame EM for playing the same shell game that all other NA pro sports franchises play in separating team revenue from other streams, but it's also incredibly naive to think he's losing significant amounts of money when taking the whole picture into account.

Reactions: Sensung

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Here's the link I used: 2016-17 NHL Ticket Prices | Vivid Seats

Here's other links as well:

This blog tracks resale values of teams and has Ottawa as the second lowest Canadian team ($135) just ahead of Vancouver ($130) with the next closest Canadian teams being Winnipeg, Montreal and Calgary ($170).

NHL Average Ticket Prices By Team

Here's something from CBSsports that says it used TickPick's resale numbers and Ottawa was third last in the league at $54 ahead of Florida $53 and Calgary $43.

It also says:

Canadiens tickets are most expensive in NHL; Vegas outselling other 30 teams

Here's BarDown's rankings (not sure what year though):

https://www.bardown.com/ranking-the...ian-nhl-teams-from-highest-to-lowest-1.669444

They have Ottawa dead last for all Canadian teams and are using Forbes numbers for average ticket prices.

Here's Business Insider with a ranking from 2014 that includes an average ticket, one small beer, one soda, one hot dog and half a parking as well. Their average team on the index is at $87.80 while Ottawa, by far the cheapest of the Canadian teams, is at $69.54.

The Toronto Maple Leafs Are Still The Most Expensive NHL Team To Go See In Person

Here's the link I used: 2016-17 NHL Ticket Prices | Vivid Seats

Here's other links as well:

This blog tracks resale values of teams and has Ottawa as the second lowest Canadian team ($135) just ahead of Vancouver ($130) with the next closest Canadian teams being Winnipeg, Montreal and Calgary ($170).

NHL Average Ticket Prices By Team

Here's something from CBSsports that says it used TickPick's resale numbers and Ottawa was third last in the league at $54 ahead of Florida $53 and Calgary $43.

It also says:

Canadiens tickets are most expensive in NHL; Vegas outselling other 30 teams

Here's BarDown's rankings (not sure what year though):

https://www.bardown.com/ranking-the...ian-nhl-teams-from-highest-to-lowest-1.669444

They have Ottawa dead last for all Canadian teams and are using Forbes numbers for average ticket prices.

Here's Business Insider with a ranking from 2014 that includes an average ticket, one small beer, one soda, one hot dog and half a parking as well. Their average team on the index is at $87.80 while Ottawa, by far the cheapest of the Canadian teams, is at $69.54.

The Toronto Maple Leafs Are Still The Most Expensive NHL Team To Go See In Person

Resale value of tickets are not the average ticket prices.

The other prices were not accurately done. There's no way that you could pay $70 US for an average priced ticket, a beer, a pop, a hot dog and half of parking even in 2014 to a Sens game.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
LOL.

"Why should fans pay more for a sub-par product?" It's not about why should the fans pay more, it's pretty simple: Ottawa fans WILL NOT pay more. You think it's a coincidence that Ottawa is in the bottom 10 in the NHL in average ticket prices? You think it's a coincidence that Ottawa fans sell rivalry night tickets against Toronto and Montreal and let their fans pack our arena? They do that to subsidize their season tickets because it's ALWAYS ABOUT MONEY in Ottawa. We can't even fill our arena with our own fans against our most hated rivals...are you ****ing kidding me?

The in-game experience sucks? What does that even mean? I've been to 5 NHL arenas, it's not a huge amount granted, but I've yet to see any in-game experience that I thought was really good. It's all a rehash of the same ****ty fan-interaction/kiss cam/quiz for prizes/centre-ice shootouts/timbits skating that you see at CTC.

Arena location? You're going to fault Melnyk for the arena location now?

The marketing sucks? What????

The player payroll sucks? Look at the chart again. Notice anything in particular about Ottawa and all of the teams behind it on that ranking?

Yeah this team has never had a problem selling out a building with one of the cheapest tickets in the NHL. What other revelations do you have for us?

We didn't sell out Auston Matthews' first NHL game. A huge moment in their franchise's history. Are you saying Leafs fans are just as bad? It's quite obvious that there are issues that go well beyond fanbase support.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
No thanks, no need, there are really only 3 or 4 of you here that need detailed explanations as to why Sens fans haven't been going to games, everyone else understands.

Lol. Your response would be beyond belief if it weren't for the fact that so many of you just regurgitate the same garbage over and over and over again.

But I have to say this recent trend of people saying whatever they want to say and then feeling no onus to provide proof to substantiate their claims is past the point of being tiring, it's f***ing fatiguing.

I'll boil the point I'm making down to something very simple: Ottawa fans want a premium product at discount pricing.

It's been that way for many, many years now and it's not going to change. Not with Melnyk. Not with the next owner. They'll either keep the prices the same and keep the spending the same or they'll increase the prices and increase the spending. There's no magical middle ground where they keep the prices and increase the spending and you guys are friggin delusional if you think that reality could ever exist.

Reactions: coladin

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lol. Your response would be beyond belief if it weren't for the fact that so many of you just regurgitate the same garbage over and over and over again.

But I have to say this recent trend of people saying whatever they want to say and then feeling no onus to provide proof to substantiate their claims is past the point of being tiring, it's ****ing fatiguing.

I'll boil the point I'm making down to something very simple: Ottawa fans want a premium product at discount pricing.

It's been that way for many, many years now and it's not going to change. Not with Melnyk. Not with the next owner. They'll either keep the prices the same and keep the spending the same or they'll increase the prices and increase the spending. There's no magical middle ground where they keep the prices and increase the spending and you guys are friggin delusional if you think that reality could ever exist.

You may just need to step away for little while, no sense being around here if it makes you this fatigued.

Look at me, I stepped away from the Sports Radio Thread for a few weeks and feel like a much happier person :popcorn:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You may just need to step away for little while, no sense being around here if it makes you this fatigued.

Look at me, I stepped away from the Sports Radio Thread for a few weeks and feel like a much happier person :popcorn:

I need to step away? I'm not one of the many on here saying they won't support this team because of x, y or z. There's certainly a lot I dislike about the direction of this team and some of the people involved. But not once have I ever said that I wouldn't support this team. Unlike many many others. So why should I be the one to walk away when there's so many who have already told us they've figuratively walked away from this team?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
SSE, CSMI and the Canadian Tire Center unequivocally make money (maybe not as much as some posters around here think, but they do).

I'm not gonna blame EM for playing the same shell game that all other NA pro sports franchises play in separating team revenue from other streams, but it's also incredibly naive to think he's losing significant amounts of money when taking the whole picture into account.

The point wasn't to defend Melnyk as much as it was to call out someone speaking authoritatively on something they know nothing of.

Melnyk sucks. So do people who act like he's crying poor when in fact he's making lots of money.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Every other Canadian team has an arena downtown, it's no wonder they charge more at this point. It's not going to be a surprise when the Senators move to Lebreton and the tickets prices jump significantly.

We're in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation with ownership and spending. If you want to argue that Senators fans need to pay up so Melnyk will increase spending that's fine, but there's also no incentive for the fan base to pay top dollar for the team as currently constructed (bare bones front office, bottom half of the league in on-ice spending), terrible season last year with no signs of improvement.

At the end of the day I think the onus is on the business to attract the customer, not the other way around. As a fan, if I felt like my money was going toward improving the team I would be glad to spend a little extra. Unfortunately (whether this is true or not) I feel like any extra money spent will go towards Eugene paying off the debt load and that's something I'm just not interested (pun intended) in doing.
This is a good way to put it. What reason has the team given to fans to want to show up, and yes it is on the business to attract customers.

All they've done in the last 6 months is subtract from a roster that was 2nd worst in the league, with their 4 best, including their only 3 star players on the team are all headed to their UFA season. With their lack of communication on anything this last while, I have no idea as a fan if I'm supposed to be cheering on a team about to lose its only quality players and head for a scorched earth rebuild, or if we're going to make an attempt to retain our only star players and have a competitive team.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hey mysens, I got back from France/Italy a couple months ago. Awesome trip!

Twice I drove over that bridge that recently collapsed, so that's a thing, I guess.

Have a great time. My family and I loved it there.

Have fun!

That is chilling

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I need to step away? I'm not one of the many on here saying they won't support this team because of x, y or z. There's certainly a lot I dislike about the direction of this team and some of the people involved. But not once have I ever said that I wouldn't support this team. Unlike many many others. So why should I be the one to walk away when there's so many who have already told us they've figuratively walked away from this team?

I am not talking about stepping away from the team, I am talking about stepping away from HFSens for a little while.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It goes both ways. Why should fans pay more for a sub-par product?

The in-game experience sucks. The arena location sucks. The marketing sucks. The player payroll sucks. They're really lucky that the players themselves didn't suck and generated their own storylines and marketing in 2015 and 2017. But now the team sucks. You get what you pay for. If ownership is not willing to put money into the team, the fans sure as hell won't. We had no problem selling out the building regularly when ownership actually put money into the team circa 2005-2011.

Montreal is paying a heck of a lot more than us, and spent less last year, maybe ask them?

And quit spreading lies, you very well know the house was papered. It was always, always, a problem selling out.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If nobody stares at MySens when he pulls up to the CTC, does he just go around the block again until someone notices him? I have this sad little vignette in my head of him circling the block until a 6 year old gasps and waves.

I'm just teasing big guy. Everything is relative and everyone has their own path. Enjoy the car!

iur

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The point wasn't to defend Melnyk as much as it was to call out someone speaking authoritatively on something they know nothing of.

Melnyk sucks. So do people who act like he's crying poor when in fact he's making lots of money.
https://business.financialpost.com/...-beat-their-american-counterparts-off-the-ice

Melnyk isn't the only owner playing the shell game, but he is one with the balls to claim "losses" as a justification for running the organization on a shoestring budget.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Financially maybe? No one is spending their time posting on an internet message board in the middle of the summer to not be a fan of the team moving forward.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

But I have to say this recent trend of people saying whatever they want to say and then feeling no onus to provide proof to substantiate their claims is past the point of being tiring, it's ****ing fatiguing.

Does the team have any other revenue streams other than tickets?

Have the Sens TV revenues changed over the last decade?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Hope this worked. This is for my favorite mod on HF Sens. This is a picture of the area where I am vacationing for the month in southern Italy. I have included a picture of my watch which is the local time. See people, no lies . And this is in the region of Calabria. Amazing beach towns in some of the best beaches in Italy.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Hey mysens, I got back from France/Italy a couple months ago. Awesome trip!

Twice I drove over that bridge that recently collapsed, so that's a thing, I guess.

Have a great time. My family and I loved it there.

Have fun!
Wow, what an absolute tragedy. The country is on alert for all bridges now. People are panicking as the government has ignored the signs of decay of the roads and bridges. Thanks for the well wishes. It’s an amazing part of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad