Euro: Semifinals - Spain v. France - July 9

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Cucurella is also a better fit with a tactic using wingers I think, because he's really good when used either in an inverted role where he slides in as a midfielder in attack

That was exactly Grimaldo on Leverkusen and Benfica. He's Pep's ideal left back.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That was exactly Grimaldo on Leverkusen and Benfica. He's Pep's ideal left back.
Pep doesn't really use wingers with Manchester City that much though. They are usually forwards that cut inside from wide with the ball rather than drive down the line and put crosses in.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
clown

He didn't talk to Kroos who says he's staying in Spain because Germany isn't safe anymore because of all the immigrants 🙄

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He didn't talk to Kroos who says he's staying in Spain because Germany isn't safe anymore because of all the immigrants 🙄

That was so weird. Like, sure, of course you want to stay in Spain, who wouldn't, nobody's going to question that decision. Saying it's because of safety though? :huh:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The real final on paper would be France vs England

The real final based on how they played this tournament was Spain vs Germany
If there is a France-England final but no one watches it, did anyone really win this tournament?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
L'Equipe is speculating that France's line-up will be 4-3-3, with Mbappe and Dembele flanking Kolo Muani.

Griezmann benched, and the 3-man midfield being Tchouameni, Camavinga & Kante.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wouldn't surprise me. Griez has been the worst French player, with Mbappe a close 2nd.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

TBF he said he feels spain would be safer for his daughter to go out in...which it was last year because we had our most violent year since 2007...but that he went on to talk about the poor integration of refugees by Merkel and ignored how we've taken in almost as many white refugees since the war in ukraine started, was just so disappointing.

I have had a fondness for Toni as the last star footballer to be born in the same country as me and being of a similar age...but I really hope that was just a bias he hasn't noticed within himself / worked on because he was too focused on football, rather than the start of a descent into right-wing punditry :-(

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eh Kroos is just saying what basically almost everyone is saying back home 'in the country you were born in'. But it's funny because in that interview he was hedging so hard, you'd think he'd be trying to run for office, but in reality there was always going to be backlash no matter what. However, he's rich as hell and retired, he can say whatever he wants now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh Kroos is just saying what basically almost everyone is saying back home 'in the country you were born in'. But it's funny because in that interview he was hedging so hard, you'd think he'd be trying to run for office, but in reality there was always going to be backlash no matter what. However, he's rich as hell and retired, he can say whatever he wants now.

Many are, unfortunately. And we can talk about the feeling of disaffection that has driven that resentment due to the culture clash and financial disaparity post-unification. But almost everyone is an exaggeration in the other direction and Toni's too wealthy & well-travelled to use those same excuses.

Toni's transparent hedging did nothing to hide his biases. But it did make me worry he's angling to go in that direction :-(

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Many are, unfortunately. And we can talk about the feeling of disaffection that has driven that resentment due to the culture clash and financial disaparity post-unification. But almost everyone is an exaggeration in the other direction and Toni's too wealthy & well-travelled to use those same excuses.

Toni's transparent hedging did nothing to hide his biases. But it did make me worry he's angling to go in that direction :-(
Toni is well-traveled and surrounded by people from all nationalities and has been for many years. He doesn't fit the stereotype of an old unemployed guy who never caught a break living in his small town. I think it's notable that someone with his visibility and his exposure to the world says stuff like that, but maybe not for the same reason you think it is.

Reactions: DaveG

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Toni is well-traveled and surrounded by people from all nationalities and has been for many years. He doesn't fit the stereotype of an old unemployed guy who never caught a break living in his small town. I think it's notable that someone with his visibility and his exposure to the world says stuff like that, but maybe not for the same reason you think it is.

I think it's more precisely because he is so isolated from the real world, so he is more inclined to latch onto the biases of those he is in contact with, as opposed to being able to form any independent experience himself. Big sports professionals do not, in fact, have exposure to the world, they have exposure to a very small insular slice that may be broad geographically but not mentally or experientally. Then it's very easy to apply what small exposure one does have to real life with very broad strokes.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it's more precisely because he is so isolated from the real world, so he is more inclined to latch onto the biases of those he is in contact with, as opposed to being able to form any independent experience himself. Big sports professionals do not, in fact, have exposure to the world, they have exposure to a very small insular slice that may be broad geographically but not mentally or experientally. Then it's very easy to apply what small exposure one does have to real life with very broad strokes.
I disagree to some extent. He almost certainly got these impressions visiting back home and from talking to his and his wife's family and friends in Germany i.e. mostly normal people, so there's almost certainly real experience behind it.

Now I don't know whether it's really any safer to let your teenage daughter walk home alone at 11 pm in Madrid than in Berlin. I think that part might reflect the fact that his exposure to Madrid is one of a rich footballer living in a wealthy community, I know Madrid certainly has its own issues, but I know that a ton of people in Germany would say yeah many German cities are not as safe as they were a decade or two ago.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
1720549027127.png

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Navas indeed starts as RB, interesting to see how he and Yamal cope on that flank against Mbappe.

Meh Mbappe is not exactly beating guys left and right from the wing, it's more of a case of how well the CBs and Rodri cover Mbappe when he cuts in. I'd be a bit more concerned for the French FBs if Williams/Yamal have a good game.

I will say that Germany did a really good job of pressing Spain and Spain still outplayed them. I'm not sure France can press the same way the Germans did even with Nagelsmann going with the wrong starting lineup. Then again the way the French can casually ping the ball around with ease when they actually want and don't have an offensive black hole in Havertz up front is a new challenge for Spain.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
France.
They weren't impressive, but I somehow think they will explode tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad