Euro: Semifinals - Spain v. France - July 9

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Tough one to call, Spain has maybe played better but are a bit too sloppy at times. France is not playing anywhere close to their potential, but they have the vibe of a team who keep playing just well enough to win. If they actually get going, they might be unstoppable, or they might just keep coming up with the win somehow anyway. I could also see Spain exposing them and getting a convincing win. Based on what I've seen this far I might be rooting for Spain, but my gut says France will take it.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
France with zero open play goals yet somehow in the semis makes that Portuguese team that won the Euros a deserving juggernaut lmao
They haven't conceded from open play either...

As I stated earlier, their issues on offence are not fixable. Father time has claimed Griezzman's cheeks, he's cooked. Mbappé is not right, out of form plus dealing with the nose/mask issue, 2022 WC Mbappé is not coming out of that locker room any time soon.

So Deschamps lines up 8 defensive minded players out there and he figures out that they'll be able to generate enough scoring chances to pot 1 goal and win 1-0. It's working so far.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If Carvajal was not suspended, confident we win this.

But playing Navas... Mbappe/Dembele can have a field day
Mbappe was supposed to have a field day against Belgium, then Portugal. He's been a non-factor (his injury is probably a big reason for that, in fairness) and I don't expect it to get any easier for him against Spain, regardless of who they play.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France with zero open play goals yet somehow in the semis makes that Portuguese team that won the Euros a deserving juggernaut lmao
Look at the teams they went through and come again.

Mbappe was supposed to have a field day against Belgium, then Portugal. He's been a non-factor (his injury is probably a big reason for that, in fairness) and I don't expect it to get any easier for him against Spain, regardless of who they play.
I agree. Mbappe isn't himself.
But Barcola showed 15 minutes of pure talent.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Look at the teams they went through and come again.

I agree. Mbappe isn't himself.
But Barcola showed 15 minutes of pure talent.
Yeah I know you’re going to come up with any bs excuse, but whatever makes you sleep at night I guess. It’s hypocrisy at its finest to shit all over that Portuguese team like you did yet give this French team a pass.

Greece as well
But it’s lowley Greece…can’t hate on that run.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I know you’re going to come up with any bs excuse, but whatever makes you sleep at night I guess. It’s hypocrisy at its finest to shit all over that Portuguese team like you did yet give this French team a pass.

But it’s lowley Greece…can’t hate on that run.
It really isn't.
Portugal had a full squad and faced some little teams and played full defensive football. Against awful squads.
This french team, like it or not, lead the tourney in xG during the group stage and just eliminated a contender.
They also didn't finish 3rd like Portugal (IIRC) in 16.
France was the better team in each game played.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
@Evilo if you were to weight club & country contributions relatively equally, who do you think are the five best french footballers of all time?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@Evilo if you were to weight club & country contributions relatively equally, who do you think are the five best french footballers of all time?
Club+country right?
1st is Platini no doubt for me
2nd is Zidane, pretty easy
3rd is more complicated but as of now it's still Kopa
Which makes Mbappe 4th. With room to reach 3rd (if not already) but lots of work to reach 2nd and 1st.
At 5th you have plenty of candidates :
Benzema (CL+ballon d'or but failed NT Career), Henry (NT glory early but not much after and European competitions failures with Arsenal), DD (won everything, as captain, but limited player), Griezmann (wonderful NT career, solid NT career), Blanc (superb defenseman, but club career while underrated isn't up to par) and Desailly (same as DD).
Cantona isn't there because he never won what he could have.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It really isn't.
Portugal had a full squad and faced some little teams and played full defensive football. Against awful squads.
This french team, like it or not, lead the tourney in xG during the group stage and just eliminated a contender.
They also didn't finish 3rd like Portugal (IIRC) in 16.
France was the better team in each game played.

Interesting that you’re bringing up xG after telling me how meaningless Germany having the best xG in Qatar was :sarcasm:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Club+country right?
1st is Platini no doubt for me
2nd is Zidane, pretty easy
3rd is more complicated but as of now it's still Kopa
Which makes Mbappe 4th. With room to reach 3rd (if not already) but lots of work to reach 2nd and 1st.
At 5th you have plenty of candidates :
Benzema (CL+ballon d'or but failed NT Career), Henry (NT glory early but not much after and European competitions failures with Arsenal), DD (won everything, as captain, but limited player), Griezmann (wonderful NT career, solid NT career), Blanc (superb defenseman, but club career while underrated isn't up to par) and Desailly (same as DD).
Cantona isn't there because he never won what he could have.

So happy that you rated Kopa so high, great career.

Other candidates for those 4th/5th spot are mid 80's Bordeaux midfielders Giresse and Tigana, who finished very high on Ballon d'Or placings, which many people forget these days. They were highly rated even when not playing with Platini. Bordeaux dominated domestic football in mid 80's but disappointed in European competions.

Then you have Papin, who actually won B d'Or, but injuries somewhat ruined his career, so I think it's reasonable to rate Benzema higher than him.

And finally I'd like to mention Kopa's contemporary Just Fontaine, with his somewhat short but great scoring record (forced to retire aged 28). Clearly behind Kopa, but proved he could be successful without him too.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Interesting that you’re bringing up xG after telling me how meaningless Germany having the best xG in Qatar was :sarcasm:
Because Germany's D sucked which was my point then. It doesn't matter if you have good xG if you can't stop a goal.
France's D is incredible.
People here keep on underrating that part.

So happy that you rated Kopa so high, great career.

Other candidates for those 4th/5th spot are mid 80's Bordeaux midfielders Giresse and Tigana, who finished very high on Ballon d'Or placings, which many people forget these days. They were highly rated even when not playing with Platini. Bordeaux dominated domestic football in mid 80's but disappointed in European competions.

Then you have Pain, who actually won B d'Or, but injuries somewhat ruined his career, so I think it's reasonable to rate Benzema higher than him.

And finally I'd like to mention Kopa's contemporary Just Fontaine, with his somewhat short but great scoring record (forced t retire aged 28). Clearly behind Kopa, but proved he could be successful without him too.
Papin is a good shout, I'd rank him with Cantona.
Giresse and Tigana were great, but IMO comparable to someone like Vieira.

Fontaine's career was too short unfortunately.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Tough to choose a favourite amongst these two.

I don't trust Spain's makeshift defence and at times vulnarable Simon being able to keep a clean sheet. On the other hand, I don't trust France's attack being able to score a goal, unless Mbappe recovers and reaches his peak form (unlikely with the mask), Griezmann somehow turns back time and has one of his peak level matches and wide players play their A-game. Too many ifs there, probably.

At the other end, France's defence and keeper seems too good for Spain to be able to score against them as well (although maybe it's due time for Upa to make one of his typical costly mistakes). Unless Yamal, Williams and Olmo have their matches of the tournament. So some ifs for Spain, but less than their defence and France attack.

That leaves us the midfield, where I think Spain has a slight advantage, but they are what we've seen so far, while the French midfield still has more potential to play quite a lot better.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that France's defence can hold on and they can find a way to score 1 goal to win it. Or go through on PKs after a 0-0 draw.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Grimaldo is still the better overall football player but arguably Cucurella s hustle is more important for Spain's team.
I think Grimaldo is much better on the ball going forward but Cucurella is much better at defending. Cucurella is also a better fit with a tactic using wingers I think, because he's really good when used either in an inverted role where he slides in as a midfielder in attack, or makes underlapping runs with the winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad