Do the Florida Panthers have what it takes to repeat next year?

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
3 Finals in a row is a tall task for any team. That's a ton of hockey over 3 seasons.

I think they absolutely have the talent to go back, but the odds would probably tell me it's unlikely.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think they have a few things going for them. They still have a great roster capable of going far. They still have Bob and experience with the team that won it. The division they're in still isn't great and the conference just isn't that great altogether. The difficult thing is to be able to go through the 82 games again and still have the level of competing that you had the previous years with the wear and tear. Then also the other teams are giving you their best night in and out compared to teams that don't win it. You just get up for a game vs the defending champs different than you do for the team that didn't. So it will be more difficult for sure. They have it in them with the talent just the wear and tear and the added difficulty of being a defending champ.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
A lot depends on Bobrovsky. At his age plus 2 straight SCF seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit of a down year for him. They're still a deep team that will do damage in the playoffs though.

I actually think Toronto might take the next step forward next spring if they can stay healthy down the stretch, especially their top line and Woll. It should be an interesting season. Wondering how TB is going to look without Stamkos, and how Nashville will look with him.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I honestly think they do. I'm gonna predict they acquire a reasonable amount of veterans at the deadline where other teams retain salary similar to Okposo and Tarasenko this years deadline. They also got Nate Schmidt who I think is a very good pick-up and replacement for OEL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
1720741505775.jpeg

Reactions: NVious

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
1 team has made the Final 3 straight years since the mid-80's Oilers dynasty. At least is a very strong phrase. They almost blew a 3-0 series lead in the Final. They beat the Rangers by a goal in the last couple games. Last couple wins against the Bruins were by a goal. Those outcomes could've been different with a bounce.
If if if if
Baffling they even won this year (although I guess the Oilers with Drai and McDavid choking help).

I expect them to take a heavy step back next season. Wildcard team IMO
it would be the first prediction you ever made that came true, so we all know what that means, and thank you

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
lost montour to seattle...also losing ekman-larsson to the leafs....

i think its gonna be hard for them to repeat next year...
Montour was not at all good in this run.
Maurice had to take him off the powerplay as he was not producing and was coffing up shorties.
OEL contribution will be easily replaced.He will struggle on the leafs.
Panther are sure fire contenders. Bolts made the finals three straight seasons. Panthers can too.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Probably not. They lost depth and two back-to-back finals runs + the cup will take its toll.

The cap in general makes it extremely difficult to make multiple consecutive deep runs, not to mention three finals in a row.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Probably not. They lost depth and two back-to-back finals runs + the cup will take its toll.

The cap in general makes it extremely difficult to make multiple consecutive deep runs, not to mention three finals in a row.

So who out of NYR and Boston gets to the final then? Those are the only 2 threats as it stands now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't underestimate the wear and tear of going to the finals 2 years in a row while playing full 82 game seasons.

Yes, “they have what it takes” still….But you have highlighted the main reason that it will be very tough. Not only physically, but emotionally, mentally, it’s just such a collective grind with B2B shortened off seasons to recover.

I could see them getting another cup with this core at some point but I think this upcoming season will be tough.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They were pretty lucky on the injury front last season.

Losing Montour & OEL makes them a bit thinner on D, though the Boqvist add could prove to be genius.

As good a bet to repeat as any recent cup winners, but also wouldnt be surprised to see them miss the POs all together given how strong the division is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad