Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Use your height. Play the long ball. That has to be the Dutch MO this game. They also put in a tremendously fast LWB last game, who changed this against Turkey. Wonder why he’s not in.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
He was a 24-year-old linesman with some months of experience going against established referees.
So do you think as a 24 year old he thought "this is just how it works at this level" and decided to just go along with it? I mean it's a basic fundamental question of ethics. I know multiple people who know the referee who fixed the matches outside football and the common take is that he's a sleazeball and windbag. I'm not saying Zwayer should go to prison for it, I'm saying he may have already shown his hand with regard to lacking the level of integrity, judgment and strength of personality that you'd like to see in a referee at the top level.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So do you think as a 24 year old he thought "this is just how it works at this level" and decided to just go along with it? I mean it's a basic fundamental question of ethics. I know multiple people who know the referee who fixed the matches outside football and the common take is that he's a sleazeball and windbag. I'm not saying Zwayer should go to prison for it, I'm saying he may have already shown his hand with regard to lacking the level of integrity, judgment and strength of personality that you'd like to see in a referee at the top level.
For me to buy the naivety argument he'd have to be even younger than 24.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I don't watch European football so I was quite conflicted, based on the reports I've heard of him. An impossibly skilled Englishman who just sort of floats about the pitch and controls the ball at will. I thought I was going to hate watching someone like that in an England shirt. Turns out he's the whiniest diver imaginable and as easy to hate as the rest of them. Good.
In league play its a pretty accurate statement. In this tournament youre prettry spot on with your assessment which is why hes been bugging me.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Koeman needs to change this up. Maatsen for Ake, Weghorst for Malyen and van Veen for de Vrij. I'm amazed Maatsen is on the bench.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
For me to buy the naivety argument he'd have to be even younger than 24.
Also he didn't just say "huh, guess that guy must be a sleazeball". Instead he had the guy directly try to recruit him to fix matches, didn't turn him down, and then later accepted cash with the explicit purpose of fixing the match.

I'm pretty sure my 10 year old with a grand total of 0 seconds of refereeing experience or training knows that's not OK.

Reactions: Blender and BMann

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also he didn't just say "huh, guess that guy must be a sleazeball". Instead he had the guy directly try to recruit him to fix matches, didn't turn him down, and then later accepted cash with the explicit purpose of fixing the match.

I'm pretty sure my 10 year old with a grand total of 0 seconds of refereeing experience or training knows that's not OK.
Yeah there's also a difference between 'this just happened' and 'this is a conspiracy to make it happen'

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Meh if England moves and can play like this i wont complain at all. Should be a pretty good final IF theyre playing like they currently are.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Foden with his best match of the tournament so far. Can't help but liking Mainoo's performance too. Kane hasn't had a good tournament either (and nothing special in this match either), but still somehow has 3 goals. He is too isolated up front, and doesn't move enough, but got better involved near the end of half after wandering deeper and wide.

For the Dutch, Xavi Simons is dangerous, weird if the top teams like PSG or Barca want to get rid of him. Gakpo has been a non-factor so far.

Reactions: luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't normally watch City games, so this is the first game where I'm like "okay I see why people rate Foden". That guy may look like he's starring in a movie that's a sad tragic tale about the leader of a chav gang on an English council estate who stabs a rival only to die in a hail of gunfire in the end, but he definitely is an excellent football player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Foden with his best match of the tournament so far. Can't help but liking Mainoo's performance too. Kane hasn't had a good tournament either (and nothing special in this match either), but still somehow has 3 goals. He is too isolated up front, and doesn't move enough, but got better involved near the end of half after wandering deeper and wide.

For the Dutch, Xavi Simons is dangerous, weird if the top teams like PSG or Barca want to get rid of him. Gakpo has been a non-factor so far.
I feel like the Dutch haven’t even tried going down the left all game

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Mainoo is special.

Reactions: Jussi and luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Where the heck is Maatsen ? Ake is not a natural fit at all.
Nothing is wrong with Ake. They probably need Ake for Saka duty.

Maarten is another one who doesn’t really have the manager trust and was not even supposed to be at the tournament

Ad

Ad

Ad