Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Not a fan of that being given as a penalty, but anywhere else on the pitch you get a free kick for it so letter of the law it's correct, it's just stupid.

edit: only thing I can think is it's given because of the studs being up as opposed to it being an attempt to clear the ball

Reactions: KJS14

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
yea, like there's definitely contact (most definitely not a dive, LOL), but it's incidental as he goes in for the block and he gets Kane when Kane is following through. those never get given, i am genuinely shocked it was.
Why would you be shocked? Just like the magical 6 mins of extra time that they were given against Slovakia

Reactions: luiginb

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Boy its something to see the Netherlands lose their heads after 17 minutes
after conceding they all went sprinting to the ref claiming Rice was fouled, when he was cleanly outmuscled by someone far smaller than him

and they immediately lost their shit and crowded the ref after that Dumfries contact, contact which IMO should not have been a penalty

this amongst other instances of already whining about calls and panicking on the ball in the 20 minutes of this match

i know you're rooting for england, but cmon now brother

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Like I said, it's one of those situations where if it happens at midfield it's not even controversial. It's an obvious foul and a yellow.

But when it happens in the box, it's virtually never called.

There's a few situations like that where players are typically allowed to do a lot more when trying to block a shot in the box than doing the same action outside it.
Yeah. If anything I err on the side of Dumfries being incredibly stupid for leaving his cleats that high, even if it’s harsh.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
That play was dead, Kane made his shot and sailed it high and wide. Those are never given as pens unless the keeper makes a save and it's considered the striker had no chance on the follow through. Really curious to see how the ref experts argue that decision.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad