Why is Boston such a good organization?

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Clock is ticking for bruins.
Nothing in the pipeline of any real substance (No, Letourneau isn’t a top prospect), ageing players. Sus centre depth. Take away Pasta and Ouff, they’re super mid.
Swayman being young an essentially a top 5 goalie will keep them afloat for years (2012-2021 habs fans can relate) but bruins are on borrowed time to being “a top team”.
I can see them as a consistent wild card team but since their run in 2019, they haven’t won two rounds since.

• Haha
Reactions: PB37

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nothing in the pipeline of any real substance (No, Letourneau isn’t a top prospect), ageing players. Sus centre depth. Take away Pasta and Ouff, they’re super mid.
Swayman being young an essentially a top 5 goalie will keep them afloat for years (2012-2021 habs fans can relate) but bruins are on borrowed time to being “a top team”.
I can see them as a consistent wild card team but since their run in 2019, they haven’t won two rounds since.

People have been claiming that clock is ticking for at least a decade. Meanwhile, the "rebuilding" teams in their division are still rebuilding (and rebuilding, and rebuilding, and rebuilding).

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What definition of "success" are we setting as the bar here? Yes, they are good and make the playoffs always but isn't it about Cups?

Haven't they won one cup in 50 years and doesn't it seem like their most recent/current window is closing?

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
What definition of "success" are we setting as the bar here? Yes, they are good and make the playoffs always but isn't it about Cups?

Haven't they won one cup in 50 years and doesn't it seem like their most recent/current window is closing?
Making the play offs on a consistent basis gives you a shot at the cup

And no there window isnt closing they still having a very strong defence Lohrie, Mcavoy, Carlo, Lindholm, a good strong group of two way players up front

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Making the play offs on a consistent basis gives you a shot at the cup

And no there window isnt closing they still having a very strong defence Lohrie, Mcavoy, Carlo, Lindholm, a good strong group of two way players up front
Making the playoffs and having a shot at the cup every year is the gold standard for successful franchise? The Sharks? The Leafs? Carolina? The Senators?

Every one of these teams is considered a failure by most fanbases because they got close but couldn't put it over the line. Why such a different tune for the Bruins? Because they have Lohrie and Carlo? I don't get it.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Making the playoffs and having a shot at the cup every year is the gold standard for successful franchise? The Sharks? The Leafs? Carolina? The Senators?

Every one of these teams is considered a failure by most fanbases because they got close but couldn't put it over the line. Why such a different tune for the Bruins? Because they have Lohrie and Carlo? I don't get it.
I mean making the play offs is the first step to winning, if you consistently make you have a shot

its a crap shoot every year you can get lucky so yes i consider being a consistent play off threat a sucess

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I mean making the play offs is the first step to winning, if you consistently make you have a shot

its a crap shoot every year you can get lucky so yes i consider being a consistent play off threat a sucess
The Leafs have the longest active streak of playoff appearances in the NHL. Do you think people on here consider them to be a successful franchise?

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Only thing that keeps a constantly contending franchise relevant is good drafting and trading, i mean getting good prospects with late picks to trade for new meat or keep em even though ur core is getting older and older.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Bruins have two guys on the roster over 30.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
The Leafs have the longest active streak of playoff appearances in the NHL. Do you think people on here consider them to be a successful franchise?
No, because the Leafs have a piteous amount of playoff series wins in that time.

If your "success" barometer is a Cup, then no, obviously the Bruins aren't either in that time. Along with 24 other teams.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
If you look how they build their roster most of their guys are of a similar mold. Hard working two way guys who play a simple game. No high skill mosquitoes who don't play defense. No regular season superstars who disappear in the playoffs.

Even Pasta who is their top skill guy will grind and go to the dirty areas. Marchand has always been that way for a little skill guy.
As much as it pains me to say, boston is built perfectly. Culture, ownership, management, team makeup.. it all just works

Reactions: Oak

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
No, because the Leafs have a piteous amount of playoff series wins in that time.

If your "success" barometer is a Cup, then no, obviously the Bruins aren't either in that time. Along with 24 other teams.
I think in sports, it is about Championships. I thought most people felt that way. The Buffalo Bills of the nineties are not remembered as a success and weren't considered one at the time. The San Jose Sharks had a good run of regular season success and playoff appearances but they are a cautionary tale and not a gold standard.

These Bruins had the best regular season in history and then choked a first round loss. I am not bashing them and they are absolutely MORE successful than most teams, I just don't agree with them being held as some sort of bar.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
The players buy in and even take less, because they know management has their backs and will improve the roster.
Ownership, management and the players all respect each other.
When an issue arises, it's addressed.
One of the things I've noticed as a fan of another NHL team is they have a team first mentality, no prima donnas allowed.

Reactions: rfournier103

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
They benefit from extremely stable ownership that doesn't really interfere with (hockey) decisions, and solid management. Jacobs is highly involved at the governors level and with Bettman, but he empowers his management team and stays out of the areas where he has experts on staff to handle the minutiae.

They long ago established an identity and have brought in player/coaching/management talent to fit that identity. Most teams don't have that kind of stability. They bounce from one idea to another, one vision to another. The Bruins don't do that.

It's not about one or two sterling players at the bottom of the pyramid (many of whom are gone now). Good organizations really are about top-down success. People often don't like to hear that (it gets dangerously close to saying that people like CEOs are properly compensated, which people despise hearing), but it's true. Your most important elements are at the top. When looking for the source of success/dysfunction, look there first.
As a Sens fan, I hear you. Thank God the Melnyk/Dorion era is over.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Huh? Bruins have one of the youngest rosters in the league.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I think in sports, it is about Championships. I thought most people felt that way. The Buffalo Bills of the nineties are not remembered as a success and weren't considered one at the time. The San Jose Sharks had a good run of regular season success and playoff appearances but they are a cautionary tale and not a gold standard.

These Bruins had the best regular season in history and then choked a first round loss. I am not bashing them and they are absolutely MORE successful than most teams, I just don't agree with them being held as some sort of bar.
I don't think the Bruins are held as the bar for success in the NHL. Is anyone thinking that? You seem to be arguing against a point that was never made.

Why use teams who never won a championship like the Bills and Sharks as the comparison, though? They're more like the Rodgers-era Green Bay Packers. You look at how many good teams they had and how many regular season games they won and wonder how they only managed to win a single championship.

Reactions: Bergyesque

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think the Bruins are held as the bar for success in the NHL. Is anyone thinking that? You seem to be arguing against a point that was never made.

Why use teams who never won a championship like the Bills and Sharks as the comparison, though? They're more like the Rodgers-era Green Bay Packers. You look at how many good teams they had and how many regular season games they won and wonder how they only managed to win a single championship.
A point that was never made? Isn't it the point of this thread?

"Why is Boston such a good organization?"

Your example might be better than the Bills and Sharks, but there is a statute of limitations on this too, isn't there? This franchise won a cup 13 years ago and seemed to have the pieces to do it again in Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Marchand and Rask. To me, they have almost been a disappointment, a lost opportunity.

Anyway, solid organization and I am not bashing them. This thread seems to have them at a higher level than other teams and I don't get that. It seems we agree on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad