OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Well boys, at least we got all the way through July being competitive. All we can really ask from this organization.

Football and hockey return is imminent.

Job well done Cheirngton and co.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This lineup is so gross without Reynolds and now Gonzales for at least a month.

1722195405299.png

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Well boys, at least we got all the way through July being competitive. All we can really ask from this organization.

Football and hockey return is imminent.

Job well done Cheirngton and co.
If youre a Pittsburgh fan of those too, then still won't have much to cheer for

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Cherington developed a pretty bad farm system, especially for hitting prospects. Look at the lineups up and down the organization. I'm sure plenty of teams would take one of the top 3 pitchers but there isn't much after that.

I don't really see a path to improvement. Paul Skenes is already here. What reinforcements are arriving?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think you can still make the argument that adequate MLB bats, even as rentals, are worth acquiring. That's why I am increasingly annoyed about Winker -- the kinds of organizational depth pieces that it takes to get that player are what you should be able to replenish with good drafts, and to give some credit to Cherington, they have done that under his tenure.

I would think Rengifo and Yazstremski or Mullins cost slightly more, but fundamentally, adding a couple average bats to the lineup will still be useful. It will be easier to lean into this if we grit out a win today, but we still have Skenes, Keller, and eventually Jones forming the core of the rotation. There's nothing guaranteed in 2025, so it would be a shame not to take any shot at all with this group.

To be clear, I say all this in the resignation that we aren't going to do even this much, but I am not going to lose sleep over 35+ FV types.

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I listened to the GMBC interview, heard the "got to be comfortable with saying no" statement. But I didn't last much longer after that. Within 5 minutes he put me to sleep. Literally. Woke up 45 minutes later.

How to describe that interview? Didn't say much.There were times he used the most selective, specific language, intending to be incredibly vague., haha. Instead of just the regular, general, generalizations.

But some of things I remember. "none of the deals made made caught us by surprise, because we were in on all of them. There were things we said no to, and there were things we offered that were turned down."

On the Gonzo injury, being a catalyst to make a move: "we don't make a move that is precipitated by one event."

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
If Grandal wasn't slow as molasses wouldn't need lead off so much to get doubled up and kill another inning

Please
Keep putting this fossil in the lineup

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Cutch really isn't all that great a DH.
That's pretty true. His main value is drawing walks. But that's not great.

He just can't play the field anymore, and we gotta put him out there for this drawn out fairwell tour. Which, as a fan, I think it's cool.... But not when it's log-jamming our options like it is.

Same as late stage CrosbyMalkinLetang are about to do. Cool... Buuuut...

Now Cruz homers... But of course it's just a solo shot cause no one can get on base ahead of him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad