GDT: Semi-final • Jan. 3 • Canada vs. Russia • 9 PM ET ‎- II

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The problem is that the goalie for Canada never made the saves to allow them to play that style they like to play.,They had to open it up a bit and got burned.,Missing on that 5 on 3 early hurt too.,

stish

I think this game spotlights International Rules and the IIHFs reffing system more than anything

You can't use IIHF standards on an NHL size ice though, can you? Too fast, too many collisions, refs are lost in the speed, start giving our misconducts to assert their manly authority.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I wonder, at times, if the tournament is eventually going to get to the point where Canada becomes a non-favourite.

I think its very, very close to that point, if it isn't happening already. Europeans, and Russians in particular, aren't entering the NHL until they get closer to 20-21. Canadians more than ever are entering the NHL at 18. I know, its a lame excuse, but lets face it, its frustrating not to ice your best squad.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
shots mean nothing when you're shorthanded some of your best players and are basically even in chances. Ya, the Canadian boys shoot the puck but they're weak and from the boards. Not any real threat.

Plus, Russia has the better goaltending and goaltending wins championships.

Are you serious? Canada has had probably double Russia's quality scoring chances. Difference is all of Russia's chances are marked down under the goal column, and all of Canada's are under the SV column.

And when you say shots mean nothing if your shorthanded, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at because the Russians have had six powerplays and the Canadians have only had three.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
New coach next year Canada, clearly this coach sucks, and is out of touch with modern day hockey.

Five goals against Russia in the 3rd last year, 5 goals in the semi final. Guy must be an idiot without a pulse. Get someone with strategy and who doesn't bring the same **** goaltender from last year.

Nice game for the Russians. I admire their effort and heart last year, this year the kids are just cocky *****es. Go Sweden!

Beerfest*

I just tuned in and I have to say, this is nothing less than a shock..

What has Ryan Murray done for everyone to be mad at him??

Played garbage.

Suprised hes picked to go so high this year.

Although, its likely just a bad game.

TheMcDavidShow

Featuring Draisaitl
Nov 30, 2008
This is the least physical Canadian team I've seen in a while, to try to make up that hole in grit the players are just taking a ton of stick infractions. Usually we'd see a Canadian player truck somebody, but instead of that they are hooking/slashing/high sticking. They are playing a selfish game based almost solely on temper tantrums right now. They deserve to be losing.

On top of that, so far the only noticeable Canadian players are Schwartz, Stone, Huberdeau and Connolly, everyone else is nowhere to be seen. This is the worst defense I've seen from a team Canada squad.

Yeah that is something I've noticed as well. It seems this edition of TC seems to think grit comes from mini cross checks to the back.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
lol 5 and a game for a love tap?

10 minutes for banging a stick.

Garbage.

Wrong. If you let something like that go and don't call it what it is--a spear--it opens the floodgates for future spears. Spearing is dangerous and has no place in hockey.

If you want blood, cheer for guys to drop the gloves or a good, clean, open ice hit. Don't hope they cheap shot the hell out of the other team.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
You can't use IIHF standards on an NHL size ice though, can you? Too fast, too many collisions, refs are lost in the speed, start giving our misconducts to assert their manly authority.

maybe you are right .... but you can't bring it up after the tourney starts ..

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
This Team Canada is a bunch of pansies. No going after guys hard on the forecheck to intimidate them. No Lucic's or Kassians to throw the body and intimidate Russia, thats Canada's key to victory over the Ruskies play physical and you neuter them.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Rule book or not that is a god awful call, this is a JUNIOR tournament we are talking about...these kids have emotions, a slight wack against the boards does not justify a 10 minute misconduct whatsoever.

I agree. Just call the real penalties out there.

4thliner*

We still got one full period here. I don't like our chances. But anything can happen.

That said this team quit as soon as Russia made the game 3-1. I blame the coaching staff on that. And the leadership group.

Game was 4-1 5-1 sure, but we still had over 30 mins left to play and make a game of it.

Instead Hay is icing guys like Strome out there on the top line who just looks lost and too individual, a 17 year old kid in Murray (who will be a great player some day) but clearly having a tough tough time.....

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Russians deserve to be winning and are the better team.

Good on them

As for the Canadians throwing out excuses... it might be best to stop. You are just giving others ammunition.

Take it on the chin. Let them gloat. Try and enjoy the rest of the game.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Really? The russians deserve to be winning?

The shots are 36 to 18! This is a Russian squad that has been hemmed in its own zone all game.

If we had a goaltender anywhere near as good as Vasilyev we would be literally unbeatable.

Yes they do deserve to be winning. They scored goals when they had opportunities to score. We commited TERRIBLE turnovers and the Russians took advantage of pretty much every one of them.

When we had glorious chances, we hit posts or Vasilyev made great saves. The goalie is part of the team, you know. We also played like **** during the 5 on 3 we got. Oh, and it's been a long time since I've seen a Canadian team play that soft. They don't hit, they don't intimidate, but they sure can whine and tap their sticks. Face it, the Russian are the better team on the ice tonight. Our boys lack composure and it shows.

I'm dissapointed, but I'm not stupid, it is the weakest team we've iced in years and it was a miracle that they've won the group as easily as they did. We aren't as bad as we are showing so far tonight, but it is not a surprise to me that we are struggling against grade A competition. The Russian are the better team tonight and they are the better team on paper also. I'm very frustrated with the performance we are seeing tonight, but I most give credit were credit is dued, the Russian are just better than us.

Beerfest*

I wonder, at times, if the tournament is eventually going to get to the point where Canada becomes a non-favourite.

I think its very, very close to that point, if it isn't happening already. Europeans, and Russians in particular, aren't entering the NHL until they get closer to 20-21. Canadians more than ever are entering the NHL at 18. I know, its a lame excuse, but lets face it, its frustrating not to ice your best squad.

Not a lame excuse at all, if Canada had their top players they win this game by 20 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad