Seattle Kraken expectations for 2022-23

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think they have some good balance in their forward group.

I think it takes some elite players to really compete for the cup and that balance on its own can only take you so far. That's not to say someone in the group can't develop into that guy one day, but that's where they are at the moment in my opinion.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think they have some good balance in their forward group.

I think it takes some elite players to really compete for the cup and that balance on its own can only take you so far. That's not to say someone in the group can't develop into that guy one day, but that's where they are at the moment in my opinion.
I don't think any Kraken fan thinks they are cup contenders yet but given preseason expectations it's pretty fun seeing them in a play off spot and just being really fun to watch (it's been a similar story for many Seattle sports teams this year- Seahawks, UW Football, Mariners breaking the drought). Large parts of last season were absolutely unwatchable crap. Now they are 2 points behind LA for 2nd with 4 less games played, 4 points behind Vegas for first with 2 less games played and slowly putting space between themselves and Edmonton/Calgary.

I can't wait for play off hockey in Seattle when it comes (hopefully this year).

Even looking at trades so far, we haven't missed anyone from last year that was traded away- Giordano, Blackwell, Lauzon, Appleton, Johansson, Jarnkrok.

Only real miss might have been Vanecek given Grubauer and Dredger's contracts look bad but that's with hindsight.

Will be excited to see how the prospects drafted do when they start coming up from the AHL in a couple of years or so.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Their forward depth is underrated even if Wright turns into a bust. I knew they were going to be a much better team this year after adding 3 top 6 forwards last summer.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
No one even close to a p/pg but they have sick depth seems very similar to how Vegas were their first year, yeah no stars but you’ve got like 3 2nd lines

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kraken take 1st in the Pacific with tonight’s win.

Will they be 1st in the West after their next game?

#depth.

They already do have the best record in the West though.
27-14-4 in 45 games versus Dallas 27-13-7 in 47 games

Seattle .600
Dallas .574

But points% wisely yeah, second place in the West.

edit : 2nd best record... after Winnipeg

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Goals for: 165 (tied for 3rd in the league)
Expected goals for: 132.5 (22nd in the league, barely above Vancouver)

Near the bottom of the league in scoring chances for. Near the bottom of the league in high danger scoring chances for. Somehow 3rd in the league in goals.

Regression is going to hit hard eventually. They have to hope it doesn't happen this season because if it does they're dropping like a rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1674582346503.png

The math backs it up guys.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Top of the Pacific at the all star break with 2 games in hand on Vegas. I do expect Edmonton to keep climbing up the table.

The break came at the perfect time with all the injuries.

Random question- historically how many teams who are first in their division at the all star break make the play offs/ win their division. Just curious of the stats and I doubt it's an easy Google.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
...if the rest of the Pacific doesn't play. I mean playoffs are highly doubtful and you're talking about winning a division title.
Well the most recent guy who liked my post reminded me that I said this. Egg on my face for sure. The Kraken really surprised me.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s not just offensive depth - Dunn and Larsson are one of the best top pairings in the entire NHL. That thought would have resulted in a snicker back in September but Dunn has emerged as an absolute star this year and Larsson is the bedrock of the entire team and has elevated his overall game to the point where he’s not just a defensive zone master but surprisingly chippy on offense - he will likely break his career offensive highs in a game or two by around the 50 game mark.

I think we all saw they had some manner of depth up front - what I don’t think many saw was two legitimate top pairing blueliners on the roster. Not just top pairing as in “somebody has to be the top pair for this team” but top pairing as in…yeah, absolutely legit 24-25 minute a night two-way duo for a winning team.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
On a 5 game winning streak after a rough February. They don't seem to be going away and still have Burakovsky to come back. 2 points behind first in the pacific with a relatively decent schedule left.

Grubauer has also been playing well as of late even if it's not shown on stats. Martin Jones has came back to earth a bit.

Will they go on another downturn in form again...probably but it also feels like the type of team that could cause a first round upset. They've shown when in one of those streaks they can go toe to toe with the best.

Big question is what Seattle shows up come play off time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad