Seattle Kraken expectations for 2022-23

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
St Louis last year.

Granted they got 70-80 out of a couple guys.

I mean, no one on Seattle has shown they can be on par with what guys like Tarasenko,Thomas or Kyrou did last year. They literally had 4 guys with over 70 points and then a couple more hovering around 60.

I said when's the last time a team with a bunch of 50-ish point players but no high end or elite players finished high in the standings. Last year's Blues is a bad example.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I mean, no one on Seattle has shown they can be on par with what guys like Tarasenko,Thomas or Kyrou did last year. They literally had 4 guys with over 70 points and then a couple more hovering around 60.

I said when's the last time a team with a bunch of 50-ish point players but no high end or elite players finished high in the standings. Last year's Blues is a bad example.
Just to add to this, the Blues top 9 forwards averaged .9 points per game, which is pretty outstanding considering they didn't have any crazy outliers skewing the numbers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Colorado in 13-14 finished 1st in the Central with one 70 pt scorer.
Blues in 14-15 finished 1st in the Central with one 70 pt score
Rangers in 14-15 finished 1st in the Metro with 0 70 pt scorers.
Panthers in 15-16 finished 1st in the Metro with 0 70 pt scorers
Canadiens in 16-17 finished 1st in the Atlantic with 0 70 pt scorers
Nashville in 17-18 finished 1st in the Central with 0 70 pt scorers
Nashville in 18-19 finished 1st in the Central with 0 70 pt scorers
Vegas in 19-20 finished 1st in the Pacific with 0 70 pt scorers
St Louis in 19-20 finished 1st in the Central with 0 70 pt scorers
Carolina in 20-21 finished 1st in the Metro with 1 70 pt scorer. Aho scored 80 though.

Didn't run pace numbers just raw numbers so I didn't bother with the COVID season.

I also think you are ignoring that Berniers and Bjorkstrand could potentially be elite for the Kraken.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Carolina in 20-21 finished 1st in the Metro with 1 70 pt scorer. Aho scored 80 though.

Didn't run pace numbers just raw numbers so I didn't bother with the COVID season.

I also think you are ignoring that Berniers and Bjorkstrand could potentially be elite for the Kraken.

I'm not going to run through all those teams you listed, but I'll point out you're missing context with some of those examples.

For instance, Nashville's always been built from their back-end. So whatever lack of high end talent they may have is offset by having dominant defensemen. Who on Seattle is on par with Josi? Those Nashville teams you listed also had guys like prime Ellis and Ekholm. Then there's also listing Montreal when it's pretty clear Vezina-caliber goaltending put them where they were. Is Grubauer going to finish top 3 in Vezina voting this year?

The above doesn't touch on the fact you're ignoring the fact that a lot of those teams had guys on pace for over 60 points and some not far off 70 points if not for time missed. Including the 2020 Blues is a perfect example of this when you have a bunch of their players with like 60 points in the COVID shortened season where their actual pace over 82 games would have put like 3 or 4 players at between 65-70 points, not this 50 point range we're discussing.

I asked for a team who finished high with NO high end production and just a bunch of 50 point players. You've listed a bunch of teams where their players paced for close 70 points but missed time due to injury/season shortened or where teams were built around their defense or goaltending and that's where their elite talent was.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I'm not going to run through all those teams you listed, but I'll point out you're missing context with some of those examples.

For instance, Nashville's always been built from their back-end. So whatever lack of high end talent they may have is offset by having dominant defensemen. Who on Seattle is on par with Josi? Those Nashville teams you listed also had guys like prime Ellis and Ekholm. Then there's also listing Montreal when it's pretty clear Vezina-caliber goaltending put them where they were. Is Grubauer going to finish top 3 in Vezina voting this year?

The above doesn't touch on the fact you're ignoring the fact that a lot of those teams had guys on pace for over 60 points and some not far off 70 points if not for time missed. Including the 2020 Blues is a perfect example of this when you have a bunch of their players with like 60 points in the COVID shortened season where their actual pace over 82 games would have put like 3 or 4 players at between 65-70 points, not this 50 point range we're discussing.

I asked for a team who finished high with NO high end production and just a bunch of 50 point players. You've listed a bunch of teams where their players paced for close 70 points but missed time due to injury/season shortened or where teams were built around their defense or goaltending and that's where their elite talent was.

I don’t think that Seattle is only a bunch of 50 point players. I think they have a few players who can hit 60-70.

Also Grub was a Vezina finalist the year before coming to Seattle.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t think that Seattle is only a bunch of 50 point players. I think they have a few players who can hit 60-70.

I'd add to that that all their goalies seemed to have bad stats compared to their past play. I'd say that indicates team factors giving them a handicap

Reactions: byrath

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

"A few" such as? I could maybe see one or two players hitting 60+, but I'm not seeing this widespread offensive depth you are that "a few" will be in the 60-70 point range.

I just don't see them having the kind of season you think they will. Not only because of their lack of high end talent (plural), but because they're not exactly stacked with elite defensemen or goalies either. Only way that team finishes as high as you seem to be predicting is if Grubauer literally has a season like Shesterkin just had. Anything short of that and I think they're a roughly 80-ish points or less team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
"A few" such as? I could maybe see one or two players hitting 60+, but I'm not seeing this widespread offensive depth you are that "a few" will be in the 60-70 point range.

I just don't see them having the kind of season you think they will. Not only because of their lack of high end talent (plural), but because they're not exactly stacked with elite defensemen or goalies either. Only way that team finishes as high as you seem to be predicting is if Grubauer literally has a season like Shesterkin just had. Anything short of that and I think they're a roughly 80-ish points or less team.

Bjorkstrand and Berniers I think hit 60+.

I could also see Burakovsky and Schwartz if healthy doing it.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

Colorado also only allowed 220 goals and had a +30 goal differential
Blues allowed 201 goals, +47 goal differential
Rangers allowed 192 goals, +60 goal differential
Panthers allowed 203 goals, +36 goal differential
Canadiens allowed 200 goals, +26 goal differential
Nashville allowed 211 goals, +56 goal differential
Nashville allowed 214 goals, +26 goal differential
Vegas allowed 211 goals, +16 goal differential
Blues allowed 193 goals, +32 goal differential
Carolina (assuming you meant 21-22 allowed 202 goals, +76 goal differential

Last season Seattle allowed 285 goals, and scored 216 for a -69 goal differential.

Noticing a trend here? Almost all of those teams were very good defensively and deep on offense, though not necessarily carried by a top line.

They don't just need to score more, they need to allow far less goals to be scored. Grubauer would need to revert back to a .920 goaltender (entirely possible) along with Martin Jones somehow finding his form from 5 years ago (highly unlikely).

Even if Beniers and Bjorkstrand are elite they have a big hill to climb to turn things around completely.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Last season Seattle allowed 285 goals, and scored 216 for a -69 goal differential.

Noticing a trend here? Almost all of those teams were very good defensively and deep on offense, though not necessarily carried by a top line.

They don't just need to score more, they need to allow far less goals to be scored. Grubauer would need to revert back to a .920 goaltender (entirely possible) along with Martin Jones somehow finding his form from 5 years ago (highly unlikely).

Even if Beniers and Bjorkstrand are elite they have a big hill to climb to turn things around completely.

I do notice a trend and I don't think Seattle's team is necessarily built around being all out offense. They've got the players and the D to be a very good defensive team.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
They'll come out the gate looking pretty decent, but then they'll fall apart. Similar to Anaheim in the previous season. I doubt they'll be flirting with a playoff spot for longer than two months into the season.

You are just a year too early to make this projection.

• Haha
Reactions: DaGreatOne

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC

Definitely a trend there, I know for the Hurricanes our 1-3 lines all average about 17 MPG (compared to the 20+ many first lines do) elite defense and depth.... The Kraken aren't close yet.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think the Kraken will be better, but I question how much. Seattle greatly improved its forward depth, but on defense all they've done is exchange Mark Giordano (TDL) for Justin Shultz, which is a downgrade.

Grubauer never started more than 39 games in Colorado, and put up back-up number when starting 54 last year with Seattle. And, he's been injury prone in his career, but was healthy last year. If he struggles again and/or goes down with injury, it's going to be another ugly year for the Kraken.

As a neutral fan, I'm rooting for them to improve.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I tend to agree, especially after their blowout win against the Flames last night. Indeed, several of these players (Gourde, Schwartz, etc.) have won a Stanley Cup in recent years.

As the season progresses, it will likely become apparent that both the Kraken and Senators are forces to be reckoned with. Although it may be surprising to hear this now, I don't think anyone will be surprised later when these two teams meet in the final.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I tend to agree, especially after their blowout win against the Flames last night. Indeed, several of these players (Gourde, Schwartz, etc.) have won a Stanley Cup in recent years.

As the season progresses, it will likely become apparent that both the Kraken and Senators are forces to be reckoned with. Although it may be surprising to hear this now, I don't think anyone will be surprised later when these two teams meet in the final.
Is this serious. Pls don’t be serious 😂

Reactions: capazzo

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Let Hakstol lead them to a bottom 3 finish and try to be competitive next year. Maybe get some nice assets for Gourde at the deadline

Reactions: DaGreatOne

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
last off season I insisted the Panthers had the best roster on paper in the league. they won the president's trophy.

this year, I look at Seattle and I see the deepest forward group in the West. IF Shane Wright can be an impact player. (50ish pts)

Burakovsky - Berniers - Bjorkstand
Schwartz - Wright - Eberle
McCann - Gourde - Donskoi
Tanev - Wennberg - Geekie

The defense is a little weaker, but if you look outside of Colorado and Calgary the West isn't exactly a powerhouse on the blue line so..

Dunn - Larsson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Soucy - Borgen

Grubs
Jones

Grubauer had a somewhat rough first season in Colorado. I see him turning it around this year with Seattle.

What do you guys think?
The “deepest forward group in the west” doesn’t have a non McDavid level prospect and Burakovsky on the 1st line

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Seattle has been a team for one year, and just finished their first ever off-season.
The comments in here about not having elite superstars cracks me up. How could they possibly at this stage of the franchise.

I see them drafting 10-15 after this year, they're still going to let a lot of goals. It's reasonable to expect a brand new team to take a few years to flesh out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad