Seattle Kraken expectations for 2022-23

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
47 point jump in one season is insane.

So the Kraken just need talents at the level of MacK, Rantenen, and Landeskog to see a 47 point increase. And to get a 100 pt season out of one of their players. Along with about 50-60 pts from a single dman.

Good luck to them.

Agreed.

Mack/Rantanen and Landeskog wise, that's arguably supposed to be Wright and Beniers but agreed the elite talent isn't on par with Colorado at all.

Colorado also did that on the backs of Grubauer and Varly, so we know who Seattle might want to target next for goalie acquisitions... :naughty:

D corps wise, I think Seattle is superior on paper to what Colorado had in 2018, but I also hear Barrie might be available from Edmonton for some D corps rejuggling. :popcorn:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
47 point jump in one season is insane.

So the Kraken just need talents at the level of MacK, Rantenen, and Landeskog to see a 47 point increase. And to get a 100 pt season out of one of their players. Along with about 50-60 pts from a single dman.

Good luck to them.

Avs were awful in 12-13 and then had a bunch of 60-70 pt guys that led them to that 100 point season.

Granted 13-14 was a different landscape in terms of scoring.

Evergreen

One of their goalies has to have a Vezina caliber season for them to win the division. They’ve got a very deep, if not particularly elite, forward group. Their defense isn’t great, but it’s not terrible either. Their biggest disappointment last season was their goaltending IMO.

Reactions: DaGreatOne

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
…pigs fly
But they already do.

Baltimore_Police_helicopter-.jpg

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Too inexperienced down the middle.
Bottom 10 finish, they will battle and maybe put together a couple 3-4 win streaks but I can't see them within 15 pts of the 2nd wildcard in the West

COL
CGY
EDM
MIN
STL
VGK
DAL
VAN
NSH
LAK

All better teams alone in the West.

Reactions: DaGreatOne

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Good news -
The Kraken will be better than Fletchers Flyers.
The bad news -
So will everyone else.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Berniers looks like he's bout to win a Calder.

Wright looks NHL ready.

Better put down those bets boys.

I watched both pre-season games and I agree regarding Beniers and Wright. I don't know if Wright is ready to make a difference (probably not) but he is noticeably quicker and lighter on his feet compared to last year, with significantly more energy. So he can hang in there at least.

Beniers will make the team much better himself. He already looks like a high end first line talent, and I don't mean long term, I mean now. Bjorkstrand helps a lot. They could improve a lot and still not clear 80 pts. I just hope they're more fun to watch. Last year was tough. If I had to pick a number it would be just shy of 80 pts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I watched both pre-season games and I agree regarding Beniers and Wright. I don't know if Wright is ready to make a difference (probably not) but he is noticeably quicker and lighter on his feet compared to last year, with significantly more energy. So he can hang in there at least.

Beniers will make the team much better himself. He already looks like a high end first line talent, and I don't mean long term, I mean now. Bjorkstrand helps a lot. They could improve a lot and still not clear 80 pts. I just hope they're more fun to watch. Last year was tough. If I had to pick a number it would be just shy of 80 pts.

Can any team in the Pacific compete with their forward depth if Berniers takes off and Wright can be a 50 pt 2/3 C?

Edmonton, Calgary and Vegas obviously have the better top six groups, but their top nine and especially top twelve falls off hard.

Seattle would have Berniers Wright Gourde Wennberg down the gut and then six 20 goal 50 pt wingers.

Obviously won't matter if Grubs sucks ass again.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
last off season I insisted the Panthers had the best roster on paper in the league. they won the president's trophy.

this year, I look at Seattle and I see the deepest forward group in the West. IF Shane Wright can be an impact player. (50ish pts)

Burakovsky - Berniers - Bjorkstand
Schwartz - Wright - Eberle
McCann - Gourde - Donskoi
Tanev - Wennberg - Geekie

The defense is a little weaker, but if you look outside of Colorado and Calgary the West isn't exactly a powerhouse on the blue line so..

Dunn - Larsson
Oleksiak - Schultz
Soucy - Borgen

Grubs
Jones

Grubauer had a somewhat rough first season in Colorado. I see him turning it around this year with Seattle.

What do you guys think?

Gourde scored 50 points with 21 goals as the Kraken 1C
and all of the sudden gets pushed to 3C by 2 rookies?,

Gourde, who is also making 5+ million dollars a year...

0% chance

Gourde stays as 1C, Beniers might be 2C, might be,
but 3C in the beginning of the season is my guess

If Wright makes it to the Kraken line up, good for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Can any team in the Pacific compete with their forward depth if Berniers takes off and Wright can be a 50 pt 2/3 C?

Edmonton, Calgary and Vegas obviously have the better top six groups, but their top nine and especially top twelve falls off hard.

Seattle would have Berniers Wright Gourde Wennberg down the gut and then six 20 goal 50 pt wingers.

They have a bunch of guys like McCann, Gourde, Schwartz, Burakovsky, Donato, Eberle that could score 50 pts (last year only one Kraken did) but only if they're getting the plum minutes and top PP time. That's sort of the problem with building a team full of middle-sixers, a lot of the guys will just have to fall into lower lineup roles where they can't score much. I really only expect Bjorkstrand and Beniers to top 50 and then probably one or two more.

Can any team hang with them? I'd say with Hakstol at the helm to not expect big things. I saw Tortorella squeeze 108 pts out of a team with comparable 4-line talent (with a little help from Bobrovsky) but Hak has never had them rolling.

Gourde scored 50 points with 21 goals as the Kraken 1C
and all of the sudden gets pushed to 3C by 2 rookies?,

Gourde, who is also making 5+ million dollars a year...

0% chance

Gourde stays as 1C, Beniers might be 2C, might be,
but 3C in the beginning of the season is my guess

If Wright makes it to the Kraken line up, good for him.

Beniers is definitely 1C. Gourde is definitely 2C. Wright might get a sheltered minutes role, but I would lean against him playing more than 9 games. I get the respect you're putting on Gourde but that also just tells me you haven't been watching as much Beniers. He's by far the best player on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

When was the last team that did well relying more on depth but no high end producers? Having a handful of 50 point forwards is all well and good to hover in the 80-90 point range, but the top teams are usually put over the top by having one or two actual elite talents.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When was the last team that did well relying more on depth but no high end producers? Having a handful of 50 point forwards is all well and good to hover in the 80-90 point range, but the top teams are usually put over the top by having one or two actual elite talents.

I just referenced the 2016-17 Jackets, which also brings to mind the Wild team that year. 108 pts and 106 pts respectively. The top scorers were Cam Atkinson for the Jackets and Granlund for the Wild.

It certainly can happen. It's just not a predictable thing like it is with teams that have elite players.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Some are still sleeping on Nashville's depth both at forward and on D?

And Vegas don't have good forward depth some say. This is a possible top 9:

Stephenson - Eichel - Stone
Smith - Karlsson - Marchessault
Manninen/Brisson - Roy - Kessel

I have also noticed Seattle's nice forward depth, so I agree with the OP to some extent but do rank it clearly lower.

Hoping for some tighter standings this year though. On paper I only see Arizona, Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim as clearly weaker than the middle tier teams. Seattle, Montreal and the Flyers for example should win some games.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Berniers was amazing for Seattle in his 10 games last year and has been absolute lights out for awhile now.

Wright for some reason fell out of favor at the draft but has been locked in as the next Tavares type 1st overall for years.

No.

Tavares had more goals in a single pre-draft OHL season than Wright had in his entire Jr career.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad