News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Teams are never going to actually go public and define what "asking price is too high" actually means. Good lord.

Exactly all we know is that teams have already walked away from the negotiation. Proof enough that the ask is too high. Teams have 2 more days to make trades and I bet we see a few more trades that completely bypass Seattle in that time frame and a few more teams that just say screw it take 1 of our players and bugger off.

Reactions: viper0220

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Francis also wasn't a very successful trader during his time in Carolina. Ace drafter, but didn't complete all that many trades iirc. He's not a wheeler and dealer like McPhee was.

i just don't see what we saw happen with Vegas happen to Seattle. GM's learned their lesson. I'm sure Seattle will make a couple of trades, but nothing close to the repeated heists McPhee did in Vegas

So teams should just accept that they are screwed cause of the flat cap and do nothing about it...

Teams are in a completely different ordeal than they were back with Vegas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Exactly all we know is that teams have already walked away from the negotiation. Proof enough that the ask is too high. Teams have 2 more days to make trades and I bet we see a few more trades that completely bypass Seattle in that time frame and a few more teams that just say screw it take 1 of our players and bugger off.

How do you bloody know? We don't. Stop acting like you do. And teams are going to leave some players exposed regardless of there being trades with Seattle or not.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stop acting like you know everything that's actually going on. You don't as much as we don't know either.

Never said I knew everything that's actually going on, but from what I do know it's already happening. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Francis also wasn't a very successful trader during his time in Carolina. Ace drafter, but didn't complete all that many trades iirc. He's not a wheeler and dealer like McPhee was.

i just don't see what we saw happen with Vegas happen to Seattle. GM's learned their lesson. I'm sure Seattle will make a couple of trades and get a couple extra picks, but nothing close to the repeated heists McPhee did in Vegas[/QUOTE]

This is the expectation of most reasonable Kraken fans. We are unlikely to have a start like Vegas did the NHL. Heck, I will be shocked if we made the playoffs the first 2 years.

Vegas was an exception and not the rule to how expansion teams start in the league. That and like you mentioned, teams are more prepared this time around.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Seattle is asking for way too much. get the feeling they are gonna f*** this up pretty badly

Yeah like what team in their right mind would pay that not to have you take Jake friggin Allen. Like sure here have our backup.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah we are never going to know the specifics of what was on the table that caused teams to walk away from negotiations. Just that they either took the deal or walked away.
You will get rumors of asks, rumor in Calgary right now is apparently Seattle wants a 1st and a 3rd to not select Giordano

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
So teams should just accept that they are screwed cause of the flat cap and do nothing about it...
Not buying that sales pitch really.
When the time comes for certain team who are up against to pay up to clear a bad contract, there will be other uncompetitive/low cap teams in which they can trade with to make it happen at a likely more reasonable cost (a 1st, not a 1st +++++ like Francis is apparently asking)

Francis and Seattle are not the only team that can take on cap dumps for a cost. There will be other opportunities.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle is asking for way too much. get the feeling they are gonna f*** this up pretty badly

Seattle takes Jake Allen at the expansion draft... The idea is to see how bad does montreal want to keep him. Again we have no idea what is actually being said between Seattle and montreal besides there being leaks. Good lord we won't know until next week anyways..

Seesh does anyone ever know how negotiations actually happen. You start high and negotiate lower.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not buying that sales pitch really.
When the time comes for certain team who are up against to pay up to clear a bad contract, there will be other uncompetitive/low cap teams in which they can trade with to make it happen at a likely more reasonable cost.

Francis and Seattle are not the only team that can take on cap dumps for a cost. There will be other opportunities.

And Seattle is the only team that has this much cap space. Even the other teams that have quite a bit open aren't going to let them selves be fleeced of it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You will get rumors of asks, rumor in Calgary right now is apparently Seattle wants a 1st and a 3rd to not select Giordano

:laugh: Like what the dude is 38 years old by the time next season starts and likely retiring at the end of next year. And you want a 1st and a 3rd?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Seattle takes Jake Allen at the expansion draft... The idea is to see how bad does montreal want to keep him. Again we have no idea what is actually being said between Seattle and montreal besides there being leaks. Good lord we won't know until next week anyways..

Seesh does anyone ever know how negotiations actually happen. You start high and negotiate lower.

Guaranteed not that bad. Again overplaying his hand.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Marc Bergevin should flex his arms arms, take a picture of him doing and tell Ron Francis, f*** you take our back up goalie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh: Like what the dude is 38 years old by the time next season starts and likely retiring at the end of next year. And you want a 1st and a 3rd?
It's probably close to what they'd get at the deadline 50% retained. That's what Savard returned and Giordano may be older but he's a better player. My issue is that they won't get 12th overall from a team at the deadline, the Flames 2nd is much closer to that return.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

If Calgary Flames are stupid enough to pay to protect a 38 year old defense men, than that organization has no hope.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

There could be multiple deals done in principle too.
No general manager is going to come out and say "Yeah, we traded a third so that Seattle doesn't take one of our average bottom 6 winger." to a media person right now.

Everyone is going to want to play this as close to the vest as possible for as long as possible.

We know the ask from Seattle to not take a good player is quite high. But that doesn't mean they haven't already got a third or fourth round pick from someone to select a specific contract in terms of mediocre assets. If you look back at the Vegas expansion, half the deals were of the 'meh' variety.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
All reports are saying that Francis is being overly aggressive in his ask, no one said that about Vegas who managed to get good value out of almost every team. I'm sure teams would have no issues giving up draft picks or prospects like they did with Vegas. So obviously Francis is asking for the sun, moon and all the stars in the sky. No team wants to shoot themselves in the foot with $14,743,588 in dead cap like Minny did. So obviously the ask was so far from reality that Guerin said F that noise I'd rather put a bullet in both of my feet than gut my team.

I feel like a lot of people are misremembering how the Vegas expansion went down. Vegas got a haul mostly because of dumb decisions by other teams, like Florida giving up Smith and Marchessault to protect Alex Petrovic I believe it was, or Anaheim/Minnesota giving up on the wrong player. Other than that they were mostly pretty cheap to negotiate with, with a lot of 2nd-5th round picks changing hands. Looking at the actual trade history, 1st rounders were passed when Vegas took a big $5M contract like Grabovski or Clarkson.

It seemed there strategy was rather than trying to extract the most value out of each individual team, they were very easy and reasonable to deal with and a lot of teams did business - I count 10 teams making trades for expansion draft considerations. We only have reports on what Seattle is doing and it's still early but if they are playing a more hardline approach you see the risk involved with it, teams will preemptively make trades and buyouts among themselves. I could be wrong but in the week before the Vegas expansion I don't recall any moves being made like we've seen in the past week.

Reactions: HBK27

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's probably close to what they'd get at the deadline 50% retained. That's what Savard returned and Giordano may be older but he's a better player. My issue is that they won't get 12th overall from a team at the deadline, the Flames 2nd is much closer to that return.

Last deadline was a weird situation though and Tampa badly overpayed for Savard. I think this deadline is going to be a lot more reasonable price wise. Gio is already starting to decline and by the deadline next year could be half the player he was this season. They might be able to cash in on name recognition a little but I would be livid if my team gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Gio at the deadline.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There could be multiple deals done in principle too.
No general manager is going to come out and say "Yeah, we traded a third so that Seattle doesn't take one of our average bottom 6 winger." to a media person right now.

Everyone is going to want to play this as close to the vest as possible for as long as possible.

We know the ask from Seattle to not take a good player is quite high. But that doesn't mean they haven't already got a third or fourth round pick from someone to select a specific contract in terms of mediocre assets. If you look back at the Vegas expansion, half the deals were of the 'meh' variety.

Oh yeah there was a tonne of those and that's where Francis really should be more willing to bend. But if the price on Jake Allen is a 1st and a 3rd then that to me is signalling he's already asking for way to much for depth players.

Reactions: Just Linda

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last deadline was a weird situation though and Tampa badly overpayed for Savard. I think this deadline is going to be a lot more reasonable price wise. Gio is already starting to decline and by the deadline next year could be half the player he was this season. They might be able to cash in on name recognition a little but I would be livid if my team gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Gio at the deadline.
The deadline is rarely reasonably priced, players worse than Gio get a 1st+ on a regular basis; as for his "decline" he was back to his old self in the second half of the season after we dumped the worst coach in franchise history

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

LOL - that is a LOT to ask for a backup goalie, especially considering the UFA market for goalies is flooded this offseason.

I really hope this all backfires on Francis.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I feel like a lot of people are misremembering how the Vegas expansion went down. Vegas got a haul mostly because of dumb decisions by other teams, like Florida giving up Smith and Marchessault to protect Alex Petrovic I believe it was, or Anaheim/Minnesota giving up on the wrong player. Other than that they were mostly pretty cheap to negotiate with, with a lot of 2nd-5th round picks changing hands. Looking at the actual trade history, 1st rounders were passed when Vegas took a big $5M contract like Grabovski or Clarkson.

It seemed there strategy was rather than trying to extract the most value out of each individual team, they were very easy and reasonable to deal with and a lot of teams did business - I count 10 teams making trades for expansion draft considerations. We only have reports on what Seattle is doing and it's still early but if they are playing a more hardline approach you see the risk involved with it, teams will preemptively make trades and buyouts among themselves. I could be wrong but in the week before the Vegas expansion I don't recall any moves being made like we've seen in the past week.

Ya think actually think Colorado was going let us take Graves for nothing no. What about that Nashville trade to LA. Same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad