News: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We have an obvious examples of that happening right before our eyes. I'll say it a million more times so everyone in the back can hear me.

An owner and a GM would rather light millions of dollars on fire and put their team in a nearly $15 million dollar cap hole than pay the price that Francis was asking. Think about the implications of that for a second. How insane would that ask have to be for a team to resort to that extreme? Pretty damn insane if you ask me.

This isn't the first time that GM got rid of players just to keep dumba. He did it too during vegas' draft. The team is being stupid to take on that much dead weight that will ultimate screw the team. Again its cheaper just to pay Seattle then screw the team to the point that they don't make the playoffs.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Its easy to draw a conclusion based on what the Wild GM did. But there is no way for you to verify what was actually offered. Till someone can confirm that there is no way to truly know.

For sure I mean we can all just pretend Francis' ask was only something like 25th overall and maybe something like Alex Khovanov and Daemon Hunt. Maybe just maybe Guerin and Leopold are the insane ones here and preferred to handicap their team to the tune of nearly $15m dollars because they refused to give up a late 1st and two decent prospects.

I think it's pretty obvious that was unlikely to be the case though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Problem with NJ and Detroit they are crapshoot teams who struggled many years now. Who would you rather pick a new team or teams that keep failing for many years now

With Yzerman at the helm in Detroit. I don't think that will be the case for to much longer.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This isn't the first time that GM got rid of players just to keep dumba. He did it too during vegas' draft. The team is being stupid to take on that much dead weight that will ultimate screw the team. Again its cheaper just to pay Seattle then screw the team to the point that they don't make the playoffs.

Even in that situation they were still okay with giving up Tuch. Seattle likely could have gotten something. My guess is they wanted some combo of their 1sts, along with players like Boldy and Rossi. The ask would have to be pretty insane to make Minny walk away and choose what they did.

Reactions: HBK27

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
also beginning to think Francis overplayed his hand and he's not gonna pull off a lot of trade extortion

League didn't forget damage McPhee did by taking advantage of desperation and the unknown. Teams aren't as desperate and there isn't really a big unknown this time around.

Reactions: HBK27

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
also beginning to think Francis overplayed his hand and he's not gonna pull off a lot of trade extortion

League didn't forget damage McPhee did by taking advantage of desperation and the unknown. Teams aren't as desperate and there isn't really a big unknown this time around.

We absolutely know nothing on what's going on between Seattle and other teams...

Teams complaining about the high asking price is called posturing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

and yet we are in a flat cap that are screwing teams. You think teams would be fine keep bad contracts and make it even more difficult for them to make any moves instead of paying seattle to take one of those contracts off them.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
and yet we are in a flat cap that are screwing teams. You think teams would be fine keep bad contracts and make it even more difficult for them to make any moves instead of paying seattle to take one of those contracts off them.

We'll see if that happens if the ask is to high then teams will just circle back to options 2 and 3. The point of the expansion draft is to be the guy that teams come to. To get value from everyone. Not have teams prefer to work with each other to work around you. Or to shoot themselves in the foot rather than pay your prices.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
We absolutely know nothing on what's going on between Seattle and other teams...

Teams complaining about the high asking price is called posturing.
I do know my team (flyers) were allegedly in talks with trading with Seattle to pick a certain player, but the price was dumb.

now seems Flyers are calling the bluff by exposing both of voracek and jvr. if Seattle takes one, sucks but we will gain cap space just in time for us to go make another UFA mistake. if he doesn't pick either, then cool we keep them both and they are both very useful players

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think he could still approach it reasonably and get good value out of teams. I find it hard to believe that Minny wouldn't give up good futures to keep what they had intact. Instead of screwing themselves in the future rather than make a deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I do know my team (flyers) were allegedly in talks with trading with Seattle to pick a certain player, but the price was dumb.

now seems Flyers are calling the bluff by exposing both of voracek and jvr. if Seattle takes one, sucks but we will gain cap space just in time for us to go make another UFA mistake. if he doesn't pick either, then cool we keep 2 very useful players

It's been reported all over the place that Francis is asking for to much. People can bury their heads in the sand and pretend that's not whats happening but it's starting to look pretty obvious.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

now seems Flyers are calling the bluff by exposing both of voracek and jvr. if Seattle takes one, sucks but we will gain cap space just in time for us to go make another UFA mistake. if he doesn't pick either, then cool we keep them both and they are both very useful players

Seattle isn't obligated to take any of those contracts if Flyers want us to they pay us to.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's been reported all over the place that Francis is asking for to much. People can bury their heads in the sand and pretend that's not whats happening but it's starting to look pretty obvious.

Its called the other teams are "posturing"... Good god you never been in negotiations before. Posturing happens all the time. These reporters know jack nothing on whats going on other than just whats being leaked. Remember no one knew we were going to actually hire leaf's AC as our head coach.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Its called the other teams are "posturing"... Good god you never been in negotiations before. Posturing happens all the time.

Keep your head in the sand all you want. I see the desert for what it is. Francis is overplaying his hand and it's costing him easy assets already. Assets that could be going towards helping make the Kraken a better team not only now but even moreso down the line. It should be like taking candy from a baby. Instead he's just getting the slobbery soother.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Oh absolutely. But has anyone defined what 'too much' is. I have not heard one example of what was offered that Francis turned down. Or even what Francis asked for. And most Seattle fans are perfectly fine with the 'sticker stock price' that has been asked. Got to start high.

Nobody is burying their head in the sand. Seattle fans are just waiting to see how things pan out after the expansion draft. That is when most trades are announced anyway.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Keep your head in the sand all you want. I see the desert for what it is. Francis is overplaying his hand and it's costing him easy assets already. Assets that could be going towards helping make the Kraken a better team not only now but even moreso down the line. It should be like taking candy from a baby. Instead he's just getting the slobbery soother.

So seattle should just accept garbage assets and picks that are basically do us nothing....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its easy to draw a conclusion based on what the Wild GM did. But there is no way for you to verify what was actually offered. Till someone can confirm that there is no way to truly know.
there is never "confirmation" just rumors

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh absolutely. But has anyone defined what 'too much' is. I have not heard one example of what was offered that Francis turned down. Or even what Francis asked for. And most Seattle fans are perfectly fine with the 'sticker stock price' that has been asked. Got to start high.

Nobody is burying their head in the sand. Seattle fans are just waiting to see how things pan out after the expansion draft. That is when most trades are announced anyway.

We haven't heard anything about what the actual costs are and likely never will but it seems teams are more willing to either let the chips fall where they may, deal with other teams to avoid Seattle altogether or shoot themselves in the foot rather than pay the price.

Either way you put it, that's missed opportunities for Seattle. Opportunities that Vegas didn't miss out on.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We haven't heard anything about what the actual costs are and likely never will but it seems teams are more willing to either let the chips fall where they may, deal with other teams to avoid Seattle altogether or shoot themselves in the foot rather than pay the price.

Either way you put it, that's missed opportunities for Seattle. Opportunities that Vegas didn't miss out on.
Sure man. You stick to your opinion and I will stick to mine.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
there is never "confirmation" just rumors

Yeah we are never going to know the specifics of what was on the table that caused teams to walk away from negotiations. Just that they either took the deal or walked away.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It's a good thing Vegas didn't think that way. If Seattle wants to they aren't going to have nearly the same success.

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Teams are never going to actually go public and define what "asking price is too high" actually means. Good lord.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Francis also wasn't a very successful trader during his time in Carolina. Ace drafter, but didn't complete all that many trades iirc. He's not a wheeler and dealer like McPhee was.

i just don't see what we saw happen with Vegas happen to Seattle. GM's learned their lesson. I'm sure Seattle will make a couple of trades and get a couple extra picks, but nothing close to the repeated heists McPhee did in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium