Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

Doubt there is much here, though it's fascinating to see this stuff take on a life of its own. I find it hard to fathom how working on keeping a consitent mental state and not getting to high or two low when you have the load to mentally to process that a modern NFL QB does is seen as a bad or fringe thing. The term low positive is new to many and the catchphrase nature of it makes it ripe for derision in the same way that many buzzwords do, but the principle is tried and true and something that isn't a new concept, especially for someone who has shown that getting off-kilter can effect his game--Sugar-high Josh anyone? If he has used the phrase even-keeled or something simlar, I don't hink there is quite the same potential to seek out an angle and or drama to sell a narrative (click driven coverage pays the bills). Josh has a long, long way to go before he reaches Rogers' level on that front.

Wawrow can go back to his basement lair or whereever he operates from (the basement isn't a dig, for any unfamiliar, feel free to reference his pandemic adjacent infamous zoom personal 'style' at media events). I can occasionally appreciate his access to info, but he has never exactly come across as a font of football wisdom. Quoting a single sentance opinion from an unnamed football buddy of his doesn't do a whole lot for me either. There are more junk opions that good ones out there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Doubt there is much here, though it's fascinating to see this stuff take on a life of its own. I find it hard to fathom how working on keeping a consitent mental state and not getting to high or two low when you have the load to mentally to process that a modern NFL QB does isseen as a bad thing. The term low positive is new to many and the catchphrase nature of it makes it ripe for derision in the same way that many buzzwords do, but the principle is tried and true and something that isn't a new concept, especially for someone who has shown that getting off-kilter can effect his game--Sugar-high Josh anyone? If he has used the phrase even-keeled or something simlar, I don't hink there is quite the same potential to seek out an angle and or drama to sell a narrative (click driven coverage pays the Bills). Josh has a long, long way to go before he reaches Rogers' level on that front.

Wawrow can go back to his basement lair or whereever he operates from (the basement isn't a dig, for any unfamiliar, feel free to reference his pandemic adjacent infamous zoom personal 'style' at media events). I can occasionally appreciate his access to info, but he has never exactly come across as a font of football wisdom. Quoting a single sentance opinion from an unnamed football buddy of his doesn't do a whole lot for me either. There are more junk opions that good ones out there.
I think it is simply the fact that things are not going as well offensively and people are overanalyzing every little thing as a response.

It's like people flipping out that the head coach has input into the offense.

Like offensive head coaches have no input on the defense...

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Well, chalk Elam up as another massive draft whiff. I liked the idea of getting a more athletically gifted man corner to complement a bunch of zone-only, physically limited dudes + Tre, but it seems like he's just not showing them anything in practice to get on the field, and he hasn't helped his case all that much when he's played in games this year.

Reactions: Husko

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Well, chalk Elam up as another massive draft whiff. I liked the idea of getting a more athletically gifted man corner to complement a bunch of zone-only, physically limited dudes + Tre, but it seems like he's just not showing them anything in practice to get on the field, and he hasn't helped his case all that much when he's played in games this year.

Another? Our drafting under Beane has been extremely good and better than most teams

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hmmmmm. Gotta think this means Elam is scratched. Again.

As far as Isabella goes -- maybe we're just using him to fill Knox's space and then using Gilliam/Anderson as the "blocking TE"?
I expect that they will lean more into 11 personnel with Knox & Morris out and Isabella elevated. On likely run plays, you will get 12 personnel with David Edwards reporting as eligible and playing the blocking TE role.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I expect that they will lean more into 11 personnel with Knox & Morris out and Isabella elevated. On likely run plays, you will get 12 personnel with David Edwards reporting as eligible and playing the blocking TE role.
I'd run 11 personnel until either is back. If Buffalo is going to make 12 a thing, they probably need 4 TEs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Another? Our drafting under Beane has been extremely good and better than most teams
Beane's 1st round picks:

2018: Allen & Edmunds - Neither was a whiff
2019: Oliver - Not a whiff
2021: Rousseau - Not a whiff
2022: Elam - Whiff
2023: Kincaid - Not a whiff

Beane's record on Day 2 is less stellar.

And Beane has had some massive Ws on Day 3. Their 3 starting CBs this week are all day 3 picks under Beane.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Beane's 1st round picks:

And Beane has had some massive Ws on Day 3. Their 3 starting CBs this week are all day 3 picks under Beane.
It's a mixed bad but some really good picks on day 2. I'd say he's at least middle of the pack and maybe higher among NFL GMs.

2018: Harrison (3rd) good
2019: Ford (2nd) bad, Singletary (3rd) good, Knox (3rd) good
2020: Epenesa (2nd) just crossing the threshold from bad to good, Moss (3rd) bad for the Bills
2021: Basham (2nd) bad, Brown (3rd) good
2022: Cook (2nd) good, Bernard (3rd) good
2023: Torrence (2nd) good, Williams (3rd) too early to tell

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Elam is going to be a healthy inactive for an off the couch, completely washed 35 year old corner who just got to town.

So many things they could have done with that pick that would have been a better move. Pretty much anything from draft a WR to throw it in the f***ing trash.

Theres an alternate reality where we used the Elam and Basham picks on offense and are currently undefeated.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Beane's 1st round picks:

Maybe I'm a tough grader but I'm not prepared to call Oliver or Rousseau "not a whiff" just yet. Rousseau has been solid but hasn't strung together a long enough stretch yet. Oliver is even less consistent and while he's shown flashes, I feel like even a year ago we would have seen a greater consensus saying he was a whiff. They are both TBD, as is Kincaid obviously.

I agree that Beane is an excellent Day 3 GM, though. Just absurd with the amount of late-round value he grabs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Maybe I'm a tough grader but I'm not prepared to call Oliver or Rousseau "not a whiff" just yet. Rousseau has been solid but hasn't strung together a long enough stretch yet. Oliver is even less consistent and while he's shown flashes, I feel like even a year ago we would have seen a greater consensus saying he was a whiff. They are both TBD, as is Kincaid obviously.

I agree that Beane is an excellent Day 3 GM, though. Just absurd with the amount of late-round value he grabs.
Getting a starting DL that you sign to a second contract in the back half of the 1st round is not a whiff.

Oliver is that and I think that Rousseau is likely to re-sign unless he wants crazy money elsewhere ala Edmunds.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's a mixed bad but some really good picks on day 2. I'd say he's at least middle of the pack and maybe higher among NFL GMs.

2020: Epenesa (2nd) just crossing the threshold from bad to good, Moss (3rd) bad for the Bills
The biggest complaint I can see with Beanes drafts is not enough HRs, especially on offense. He has been good with a few HRs (Allen most notably), but a lot of singles and doubles.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Getting a starting DL that you sign to a second contract in the back half of the 1st round is not a whiff.

Oliver is that and I think that Rousseau is likely to re-sign unless he wants crazy money elsewhere ala Edmunds.

:D Well, it going to snow next week! Pleasant tonight.

1698349947679.png

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I'd run 11 personnel until either is back. If Buffalo is going to make 12 a thing, they probably need 4 TEs.
I think we'll still see a heavy dose of 12/21 with Gilliam playing as he in-line TE. I know he's technically a fullback, but other than genuine short yardage situations he's mostly played on the LOS when they've used him.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The biggest complaint I can see with Beanes drafts is not enough HRs, especially on offense. He has been good with a few HRs (Allen most notably), but a lot of singles and doubles.

I tend to agree - we'd all like to see more All-Pro selections. But, unless you're drafting in the top-half of the first-round (in the NFL), you really can't fault Beane for not finding the outlier each and every year.

That's the unfortunate part of the draft, the waiver wire, the salary cap... it's all set up for the best teams to fail and the worst teams to pick themselves back up again. Unless you're the Jets, Bills, Lions or Browns. Then you just suffer perpetually.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Even Moss wasn’t a bad pick. I just think the offense philosophy really evolved when Allen truly broke out a few months later, and Moss didn’t fit what they wanted to do.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just pushed back from ROC for flight to CLT. Will likely miss all but 4th quarter.

Thinking of changing my avatar location to John Wawrow’s basement. It’s currently “in the company of jerks” referencing the hurricanes rallying cry a couple years ago.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad