Value of: Sean Monahan to Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Monahan is on pace for less than fifty points while getting top six minutes. When Calgary moved Monahan into a bottom six role, he was useless. He's not the best skater, isn't physical, and is not great defensively.

I don't see Monahan as the type of player teams will look to attain for a playoff run. A guy like Domi had lots of jam, which Monahan doesn't have.

this. he's what you maybe settle for when all the other options are gone, but even then, there are a ton of more defensively reliable players teams would look at for depth.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Toninado and Stanley have no value to Montreal.

Seems very unlikely Monahan gets traded for anything less than a 1st+ given his strong play, his public desire to be in Montreal and Mtl's injury depleted roster.

1st, Kupari, Barron might get Hughes to listen, if that seems to much then the Jets are probably shopping elsewhere
He said Monahan, not Suzuki.
Monahan isn't needed but thanks anyway.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Toninado and Stanley have no value to Montreal.

Seems very unlikely Monahan gets traded for anything less than a 1st+ given his strong play, his public desire to be in Montreal and Mtl's injury depleted roster.

1st, Kupari, Barron might get Hughes to listen, if that seems to much then the Jets are probably shopping elsewhere
Sorry Habs’ fans but Monahan isn’t worth a whole heck of a lot. He’s older and injury prone. Too big a risk for playoff clubs to offer up too much. Habs should, of course, trade this plsyer and get the third rounder he will return, as they aren’t going to the playoffs this year.

Somewhere in between these 2 terrible takes.

Reactions: pth2

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Monahan is a bottom 6 center that can't play defense

A team should only be trading for him if they need to try to patch a 2C hole with elmers glue

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If Lindholm goes elsewhere, Monahan might well fetch an attractive piece.

If retention is required, I think it'll be through a 3d party at the cost of a 5th, so Montreal has their 3d retention slot for a longer term deal like Savard(where 3d party retention is unlikely, and would be expensive)

I'm hoping for first round value, but getting back the Habs 2nd isn't far behind. Habs 2nd and a conditional 3d rounder if he plays enough games?

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Monahan is no solution for any top 6 center need on the Jets and the Jets are set at 3C & 4C already. Just don't see Monahan being a good fit in any way, injury prone, weak defensively and not a great skater. Jets play a physical, high pace and very defensively sound game.......Monahan doesn't fit that mold in the least. Jets should be aiming MUCH higher then Monahan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was wondering what might be a good pick-up for the Jets and thought about Monahan being a solid pick-up for the Jets.

I would think 2nd 2024, Logan Stanley and Dominic Toninado for Sean Monahan (50% retained)
Monahan on dirt cheap contract, why would you ask Habs to retain? Going to costs Jets an additional asset and only saves peanuts

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Monahan? That's going to cost at least a 1st.
You're right. I doubt Habs would trade him for a first.

Take overpayment to get him out of Montreal. It's hard for Montreal to trade Monahan. He's reeks character in dressing room,, 57% on faceoffs, outstanding hockey smarts, 50 points, size, low contract. It's a combination of intangibles.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Like every years it will be about supply and demand. Lehkonen fetch Barron + 2nd which is essentially 1st + B prospect, Chiarot fetch a 1st + 3rd (just like Savard a few years back). Foligno brought back a 1st even. Depends more on GM perception than any kind of player standalone valuation. Fans sacralize their 1st completely irrationnally, give me a 3C for a cup run rather than a 25OA who will likely become nothing, and if he becomes something in 4 years maybe your window won t be open anymore. I don t think TBL regrets having lost 3 1st rounders for two stanley cups and a final.

I love the discussion about Lindholm being so much better too. For me they are both 2C/3Cs who benefitted a ton from playing with Tkachuk Gaudreau. They are on pace for similar point totals this year while Lindholm plays on a better team.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Despite Hughes aggressive selling tactics through the media, it'd be a surprise if there was strong enough interest in Monahan to garner a second round pick +, let alone a 1st ++. That's just straight up delusional.

Aside from his faceoff ability, Monahan is a poor center and most teams recognize that. Any contending team with a functioning proscouting department would only see Monahan as a depth middle six winger that can take draws. What's the price on that? Maybe around a 3rd round pick and a marginal prospect/contract. Would take a very desperate team that's missed out on everything else to even consider giving up a 2nd straight up.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You're right. I doubt Habs would trade him for a first.

Take overpayment to get him out of Montreal. It's hard for Montreal to trade Monahan. He's reeks character in dressing room,, 57% on faceoffs, outstanding hockey smarts, 50 points, size, low contract. It's a combination of intangibles.
(mod)
It's BS like this that makes others reply with "maybe he isn't even worth a 3d" type of reply, overcompensating in the other direction.
To be clear: if a first or first rounder type of value is offered, Monahan is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad