Value of: Sean Monahan this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
I liked Steel in his draft year so I would probably do that. I figured McTavish would be joining full-time next year, or would he be more mentored in replacing Rakell?

If Mctavish makes the team I can't see it being at center because that would probably be too much youth down the middle with Zegras/Mctavish/Lundestrom as the top 3. He probably starts on the wing and we look for a vet stopgap like Monahan if Getzlaf retires.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To Colorado
Monahan ($1m retained)
2023 4th

To Calgary
Compher

Calgary gets a right hand shot and clears almost $1m in cap space. Colorado gets a rebound potential player who can add some center depth.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Fisher, Larsson, O'Brian for Monahan, Lucic, '23 2nd,'24 2nd, Wolf?

Clears a crap ton of cap for Calgary (something AZ will need), allows them to keep their 2 2nds this year, and the players coming back are actually good bottom 6 guys. If we hadnt added Ritchie, I wouldn't even consider moving O'Brian, total pest and he backs it up.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
At best you’d be looking a change of scenery deal with near equal dollars going out and coming back.

Can’t see many teams willing to absorb a $6 million cap for him at his production.

Hilarious that someone already posted the bidding starts at a 1st.

Redwings : Monahan + 3rd

to

Calgary : Pius Suter

Yzerman seems the type to weaponize cap space. Wings need a top 2c. Maybe he rolls the dice. Both guys contracts are up after next season.

Calgary gets over 3 million in cap space and a much cheaper and right now nearly as effective replacement

I don’t know if this does anything for Detroit. Suter is actually carving out a nice role for himself as a two-way presence here. He’s a 1st unit PKer now. And it looks like he and Monahan aren’t that far apart offensively anymore either. So it’s a pretty lateral move but Detroit throws in a pick and it costs them twice the price. We have the cap space, so we could just keep Suter and throw in a modest prospect instead.

Ultimately though I don’t know if Steve would even be interested in Monahan at all, mainly because his skating is so clunky already at 27 that it doesn’t really bode well for a resurgence. If Monahan had the IQ to keep himself afloat it’d be different but I don’t think he does. Still, if the price is cheap enough, he could see the value in it simply because Detroit has so little C depth. Hard to say.

Now if Calgary really wanted to move him because they have a UFA signing on the line and are desperate for cap space such that it’s Monahan + 3rd for futures, I could see Detroit being a reliable option.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
Good goal scoring, but doesn't provide much. I think a late 1st would be a good starting point for him.

Anyways, calgary doesnt have a reason to really move him anyway. They ahve a really balanced roster already.
They have to move him to sign Johnny

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fisher, Larsson, O'Brian for Monahan, Lucic, '23 2nd,'24 2nd, Wolf?

Clears a crap ton of cap for Calgary (something AZ will need), allows them to keep their 2 2nds this year, and the players coming back are actually good bottom 6 guys. If we hadnt added Ritchie, I wouldn't even consider moving O'Brian, total pest and he backs it up.

Zero chance:
Both Monahan and Lucic BOTH waive for Arizona.
Calgary includes Dustin Wolf in any deal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Calgary easily says yes IMO. Compher is the better player, and on a better contract.
It's the wrong deal. We need to move out Monahan without retention or money coming back. This is critical to keeping Gaudreau, Mangiapane and Kylington. Then you gauge the market on Tkachuk I think. Sign him if trade value isn't where you want it and move him if it is.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's the wrong deal. We need to move out Monahan without retention or money coming back. This is critical to keeping Gaudreau, Mangiapane and Kylington. Then you gauge the market on Tkachuk I think. Sign him if trade value isn't where you want it and move him if it is.

Yeah the Flames need the cap room and not a player.

I still see him being bought out. It saves the Flames $4 million off the bat. There’s a $2 million carryover, but that’s also the year Lucic’s contract expires so they should be in ok shape that season. It would be nice to recoup the entire salary through a trade, but unless it’s for Monahan straight up without the Flames adding I don’t see it being worthwhile.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah the Flames need the cap room and not a player.

I still see him being bought out. It saves the Flames $4 million off the bat. There’s a $2 million carryover, but that’s also the year Lucic’s contract expires so they should be in ok shape that season. It would be nice to recoup the entire salary through a trade, but unless it’s for Monahan straight up without the Flames adding I don’t see it being worthwhile.

We could take a player back if the player was on a very team friendly deal (>2m); because there will be a lot of holes on the roster and not much cap.
Plus Monahan's buyout would cost 2.35M.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
DeBrusk for Monahan?

I really know nothing about Calgary's roster so I don't know if they have a need for a top 9 winger. He's shown he can play in the top 6 better and last season looked rough on his off wing. As a RW this year, his short time with Bergeron and Marchand he's looked great and revitalized but again I know nothing of Calgray's needs I just know Boston needs a #2C.

DeBrusk is a local boy (Edmonton), could help his career being close to home and in a better role to succeed.
That would be rape with a lot of lube lol. Build Tre a statue if he did that.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Zero chance:
Both Monahan and Lucic BOTH waive for Arizona.
Calgary includes Dustin Wolf in any deal.
Not saying they would waive (though it might be in Monahan's best interest to come here), just trying to understand what is too much to clear that kind of cap.

Monahan would get 2nd line minutes the moment he got here, allowing him to rebuild his value around the league. Arizona could also retain on him at next season's TDL, opening up his options if he plays well. A change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered.

Lucic is much less likely to waive for a non playoff team like AZ. However, if we decide to keep Kessel, we could be a 3rd party to retain on Lucic for payment. If Lucic is not in the deal, just drop the '24 2nd and we can move forward with Monahan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not saying they would waive (though it might be in Monahan's best interest to come here), just trying to understand what is too much to clear that kind of cap.

Monahan would get 2nd line minutes the moment he got here, allowing him to rebuild his value around the league. Arizona could also retain on him at next season's TDL, opening up his options if he plays well. A change of scenery could be just what the doctor ordered.

Lucic is much less likely to waive for a non playoff team like AZ. However, if we decide to keep Kessel, we could be a 3rd party to retain on Lucic for payment. If Lucic is not in the deal, just drop the '24 2nd and we can move forward with Monahan.

I think Calgary's stuck with Looch being honest with you. His cap doesn't help our cause, but he's become a major part of the culture of the team off/on the ice.
Monahan could potentially find some new life in the desert, there's no question about that. I'm being 100% honest with you, when I say I think Arizona will have a hard time with people waiving/choosing to sign there for the next few years as they play in that college arena. I feel they'll be the home of a lot of LTIRetirements for the next few years to get to the floor.

I think Calgary would look to move Monahan with no cap coming back, but won't pay a premium to do so. His buyout cost is 2.35M/2years, so it's not an unsurmountable amount.

As I said, including Wolfie in a deal is a non-starter.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think Calgary's stuck with Looch being honest with you. His cap doesn't help our cause, but he's become a major part of the culture of the team off/on the ice.
Monahan could potentially find some new life in the desert, there's no question about that. I'm being 100% honest with you, when I say I think Arizona will have a hard time with people waiving/choosing to sign there for the next few years as they play in that college arena. I feel they'll be the home of a lot of LTIRetirements for the next few years to get to the floor.

I think Calgary would look to move Monahan with no cap coming back, but won't pay a premium to do so. His buyout cost is 2.35M/2years, so it's not an unsurmountable amount.

As I said, including Wolfie in a deal is a non-starter.
Totally misread that on the first post, MB. I thought you had said you would include him in any deal. :laugh:

There is too much being made of the arena. It's a non issue once everything is finalized and moving forward in Tempe. Glendale has been a nightmare for this team, even with the first deal being very financially sound. The location was atrocious and the people that made the decision to put the team there shouldn't be allowed to make important decisions. If this rebuild goes well and everything happens in a timely manor for the new arena, I think a lot of the bad press for AZ will fly away in the wind. We won't be bringing in money like Toronto but most teams don't. We certainly could reach the respectable level of TB or NSH if this group makes intelligent decisions, something they appear to be doing (though at times maybe a bit overwhelmed, especially as a first time pro sports franchise owner). I wouldn't put too much stock into the arena until we have a clear picture on how things will turn out in Tempe.

Obviously there would need to be an adjustment from Arizona if Lucic is not in the deal. Maybe Larsson (3c replacement, love this player) for Monahan, '23 2nd, and RW or RD prospect with a decent shot as a bottom 4/middle 6 NHLer? Larsson's deal is up at the end of the year and he may even resign in CGY, saves you guys enough in cap to resign your core and maybe even add/upgrade somewhere. Does that sound more in line with a deal you could get behind?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You want a team to just take Monahan on? What assets are the Flames willing to give up?
Plenty of others have said they'd take him for a pick. I wouldn't personally, but there is just 1 year left and you'll probably get a better pick back at the TDL if you move him then.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You want a team to just take Monahan on? What assets are the Flames willing to give up?

Pretty much nothing. The buyout cost is just over $2 million because he’s only got a year left. That’s not worth a whole lot as far as picks go.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty much nothing. The buyout cost is just over $2 million because he’s only got a year left. That’s not worth a whole lot as far as picks go.
I would give a pick to get rid of Monahan. We need to sign Johnny, Mangi, Tkachuk and Kylington. Maybe even Grudbranson. Every penny counts

Reactions: Perratrooper

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would rather just ride out his contract than pay, i can totally see a team taking a chance with him this offseason though. 1 year for a proven player that's just had some recent struggles
Nope, need to get rid of his contract to sign Johnny, Tkachuk, Mangi, Kylington and Gudbranson. All more important than him.

his last good year was 2019, that’s not recent

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad