Value of: Sean Monahan this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

Ottawa has 11 players signed at ~$50mil. So, assuming we have a similar budget as this year, that leaves us about $15-17mil.

Norris ($5-7.5m) & Formenton ($2.5-4m) need to be re-signed, which leaves anywhere from $3.5-10mil to sign 8 other guys.

All that is to say this: I find it very hard to believe Ottawa would bring in Monahan without shedding salary elsewhere, be it in a trade with Calgary or through other measures.

Best offer I would make is Monahan for MDZ + BOS 3rd.
50M is 32.5M below the ceiling, how do you come to the conclusion of needing to shed cap?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
50M is 32.5M below the ceiling, how do you come to the conclusion of needing to shed cap?

How do you come to the conclusion that the cap is at all relevant to Ottawa's spending, besides the floor? Do you realize how much money the (already-cheap) Sens have lost due to the pandemic?

Ottawa might spend to 70 mil.... that's probably optimistic, though. And, if they do, I doubt Monahan is the guy they'd target. DJ Smith would probably scratch him with a healthy lineup, and would only play him on the wing + face-offs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol.

The Flames can retain about $2 million max, otherwise it makes more sense to buy him out. They aren't retaining 50%, taking on a bad contract, or adding a 1st.

I agree he has negative value, but his contract is easily bought out if need be.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
The poster stating that Monahan has issues with drugs should be banned from posting here. I know him casually. The guy barely even drinks and most definitely does not have a drug problem. He has had a hard time with injuries and they have caught up with him on the ice. He's a fantastic person off the ice and a very well liked teammate.

I don't see how knowing him casually, you can definitively state he doesn't have an addiction problem. How do you know what he does privately? No one said he was a party drug guy, if anything, I'd guess it could be painkillers like MANY athletes have gone through after injuries. They tend to keep that discreet until it either comes out, or they seek rehab/help and open up about it. Many of those guys were still fantastic guys and teammates.

I'm not saying I have any clue if he does or doesn't, but I always find it annoying when people state such things as facts they can't possibly know "for a fact".

Back to the thread, if Getzlaf retires, I'd be happy to try him out if the cost to acquire is low.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I see him having negative value at this point based on his contract. He's only got a year left, but he really hasn't shown a lot this year - other than on the PP where his shot is still effective. I'm sure the Flames would like to deal him, but I think it's just as likely he gets bought out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol.

The Flames can retain about $2 million max, otherwise it makes more sense to buy him out. They aren't retaining 50%, taking on a bad contract, or adding a 1st.

I agree he has negative value, but his contract is easily bought out if need be.

This.
We're not adding valuable picks to the guy or retaining any salary. You can just buy him out at the cost of 2M for two years. I think age, past production, and position are valuable enough that there will a couple teams that go: Well, it'll cost a mid round pick today, but if he finds chemistry given a different role, with different players, on a different team... we might have a decent player back that we can either flip at the deadline, re-sign if he really meshes or if it doesn't work, we just let him ride out the year and we only spent a mid round pick on a gamble.

New Jersey, Seattle, Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus, San Jose, and a few more would have openings if they don't land one of the centres available in FA this year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers likely need a Strome replacement stop gap

Not at that cap number though. They would have to retain, and/or take Nemeth back.

I could see him going to Arizona. Arizona will need players with significant cap hits to reach the floor. He has a 10 team no trade list, but he would no doubt get a lot of ice time in Arizona, which could help him revive his career going into free agency.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see how knowing him casually, you can definitively state he doesn't have an addiction problem. How do you know what he does privately? No one said he was a party drug guy, if anything, I'd guess it could be painkillers like MANY athletes have gone through after injuries. They tend to keep that discreet until it either comes out, or they seek rehab/help and open up about it. Many of those guys were still fantastic guys and teammates.

I'm not saying I have any clue if he does or doesn't, but I always find it annoying when people state such things as facts they can't possibly know "for a fact".

Back to the thread, if Getzlaf retires, I'd be happy to try him out if the cost to acquire is low.
I can day definitively he does not have an addiction problem. This post was in response to a post about him definitively having a drug problem. He does not. Full stop.

On the rest of your post. I don't think he would cost anything to acquire. I'm sure the Flames would be happy to move him for a conditional 7th rounder in the offseason given the raises due to Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Kylington.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's definitely got negative value at this point. Not convinced it's overly negative at all though. This isn't some mid 30s anchor deal with multiple years on it requiring a high pick to offload. He's got one year left. The most specific reason the Flames want to move him is to fit in other players, not because he's single handily tanking the team.

There's some rebuilding teams with plenty of cap that could use a vet C that knows what he's doing for next season. The return doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Traptor

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Monahan is garbage … add a pick to him and retain 50%.

Monahan (@50%) + 3rd

for

7th rounder

Florida might do that deal with the recent trade history with the Flames.

I have a use for many Flames players… Monahan is not one of them.

I know he isn't meeting expectations, but THAT bad? My understanding is that he was having bad seasons because of injuries, not that he was on his way out of the nhl. Monahan at 3-4 M for middle-6 duties sounds like something Mtl should think about.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I can day definitively he does not have an addiction problem. This post was in response to a post about him definitively having a drug problem. He does not. Full stop.

On the rest of your post. I don't think he would cost anything to acquire. I'm sure the Flames would be happy to move him for a conditional 7th rounder in the offseason given the raises due to Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Kylington.

I'd definitely be good to send a late pick or Sam Steel (if Ducks wanted to send a contract back) for him then, as if I recall, he was one of the highest hockey IQ guys in his draft year and that doesn't just vanish. Well worth the risk given it's only for one year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I know he isn't meeting expectations, but THAT bad? My understanding is that he was having bad seasons because of injuries, not that he was on his way out of the nhl. Monahan at 3-4 M for middle-6 duties sounds like something Mtl should think about.

No he isn't that bad. He's decent on the PP. His biggest issue is he was never the world's best skater and injuries over the years have made things worse. But there's no way the Flames retain on him. He only has one year left and is a pretty easy buyout.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
No he isn't that bad. He's decent on the PP. His biggest issue is he was never the world's best skater and injuries over the years have made things worse. But there's no way the Flames retain on him. He only has one year left and is a pretty easy buyout.

His biggest issue is he used to be a bad skater who knew how to put himself in a good position and was a sniper. Now his deadly shot is gone, which was basically the strength of his game. Oddly enough I think his defensive game is way better than it used to be now, but that doesn't balance out what he's lost.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd definitely be good to send a late pick or Sam Steel (if Ducks wanted to send a contract back) for him then, as if I recall, he was one of the highest hockey IQ guys in his draft year and that doesn't just vanish. Well worth the risk given it's only for one year.
Yes I'd do that no questions asked. Even if the pick was conditional on him scoring 20 and we'd get a 7th rounder or something. Isn't there still some potential in Steel?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
His biggest issue is he used to be a bad skater who knew how to put himself in a good position and was a sniper. Now his deadly shot is gone, which was basically the strength of his game. Oddly enough I think his defensive game is way better than it used to be now, but that doesn't balance out what he's lost.
I agree with you. He was a below average defensive player before, I'd call him average now. That doesn't balance out the missing 30 goals though.

Reactions: treple13

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020

The default assumption should be that someone does not have a drug problem until such time as some sort of proof exists that they do. The guy making those accusations should back them up or STFU.

Gallagher 1-for-1 :nod:
The only reason the Flames would consider moving him is to free up cap space to sign free agents this off season, no way in hell they touch Gallagher's albatross contract.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

You have a drug problem. Everyone knows it, it’s common knowledge.

See how easy that was?

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
You have a drug problem. Everyone knows it, it’s common knowledge.

See how easy that was?

Women ARE a helluva drug, I admit.

Not sure how this is remotely related to what I said, I was just referencing that people, very often, can keep that stuff private esp. if it's with painkillers. I mean, people have hidden such from their teammates, best friends and spouses, so I don't think it was a stretch to say someone who only knew them casually, can't be so certain. I also never heard any rumors or anything about Monahan and was not the one saying he has or doesn't have a problem :)

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Yes I'd do that no questions asked. Even if the pick was conditional on him scoring 20 and we'd get a 7th rounder or something. Isn't there still some potential in Steel?

IMO Steel still shows flashes and his problems are very much confidence-related. He's been juggled around a bad Ducks offense the past few seasons, never being allowed time really to gel with linemates. One game he's a winger on the top line, next game he's 4th line C, next game he's 2nd line C, etc...

I would love to see him still become a good/great player, but doesn't look like it'll be in Anaheim.

Ledge And Dairy

Steel + a mid round pick could interest the Ducks. They're probably going to need a mid 6 center if Getzlaf retires and can afford to see if Monahan rebounds. Sell him at the next deadline if he does or let him walk.
I liked Steel in his draft year so I would probably do that. I figured McTavish would be joining full-time next year, or would he be more mentored in replacing Rakell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad