Value of: Sean Monahan this summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Until 2019-2020, Monahan's career pace was at 0.77 points per game. Since then, he has been hampered by injuries and has played at 0.57 PPG pace. To be fair, this season he has played in a largely bottom 6 role for Calgary but still gets PP1 time. He has one year left at 6.375M after this year and a 10 team NTC.

It's pretty clear to me that the Flames are ready to move on from Monahan this summer, what is his value with one year left on his contract? Keep in mind Calgary does not have a history of retaining salary on expiring deals, so it is unlikely that will occur if Monahan is moved.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Good goal scoring, but doesn't provide much. I think a late 1st would be a good starting point for him.

Anyways, calgary doesnt have a reason to really move him anyway. They ahve a really balanced roster already.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
At best you’d be looking a change of scenery deal with near equal dollars going out and coming back.

Can’t see many teams willing to absorb a $6 million cap for him at his production.

Hilarious that someone already posted the bidding starts at a 1st.

Redwings : Monahan + 3rd

to

Calgary : Pius Suter

Yzerman seems the type to weaponize cap space. Wings need a top 2c. Maybe he rolls the dice. Both guys contracts are up after next season.

Calgary gets over 3 million in cap space and a much cheaper and right now nearly as effective replacement

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Probably not much. Someone could maybe take him and hopes he can figure out his scoring touch again.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
At best you’d be looking a change of scenery deal with near equal dollars going out and coming back.

Can’t see many teams willing to absorb a $6 million cap for him at his production.

Hilarious that someone already posted the bidding starts at a 1st.

Redwings : Monahan + 3rd

to

Calgary : Pius Suter

Yzerman seems the type to weaponize cap space. Wings need a top 2c. Maybe he rolls the dice. Both guys contracts are up after next season.

Calgary gets over 3 million in cap space and a much cheaper and right now nearly as effective replacement

This seems fair or so. What do you think Pius Suter himself is worth if Calgary were to flip him?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Monahan won't receive a late 1st. That ship has sailed. I think we'd be looking at some retention for a 3rd and prospect. Maybe a 3C around 3.5 per + middling pick.
I think the best option for the Flames could be maybe flipping him at the TDL next season with the hope that he bounces back a little next season. A slightly better season could improve that to a late 1st or early 2nd but I still don't think teams are willing to take on without retention or sending a bad contract back.

Right now, I don't think he gets anything more than what you said, i.e a 3rd and B-prospect.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Until 2019-2020, Monahan's career pace was at 0.77 points per game. Since then, he has been hampered by injuries and has played at 0.57 PPG pace. To be fair, this season he has played in a largely bottom 6 role for Calgary but still gets PP1 time. He has one year left at 6.375M after this year and a 10 team NTC.

It's pretty clear to me that the Flames are ready to move on from Monahan this summer, what is his value with one year left on his contract? Keep in mind Calgary does not have a history of retaining salary on expiring deals, so it is unlikely that will occur if Monahan is moved.

As an unloading of salary, the best you might get is a 7th+ contract.

Reactions: McJedi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If the Flames can unload him they should do it. 9 ESPs this season is 4th line production, at this point he needs a change up.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
DeBrusk for Monahan?

I really know nothing about Calgary's roster so I don't know if they have a need for a top 9 winger. He's shown he can play in the top 6 better and last season looked rough on his off wing. As a RW this year, his short time with Bergeron and Marchand he's looked great and revitalized but again I know nothing of Calgray's needs I just know Boston needs a #2C.

DeBrusk is a local boy (Edmonton), could help his career being close to home and in a better role to succeed.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Maybe, maybe not. I think a few teams would be willing to take a gamble on him. May keep him for the year and move Lucic instead
Why would any team gamble on an overpaid rental that’s been declining for a few years and has substance abuse noise around him? I’ll tell you why. Because Calgary attaches picks to Monahans negative value contract.

flames need the cap space more than the 2023 draft picks they’ll trade away to free up the cap space.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Why would any team gamble on an overpaid rental that’s been declining for a few years and has substance abuse noise around him? I’ll tell you why. Because Calgary attaches picks to Monahans negative value contract.

flames need the cap space more than the 2023 draft picks they’ll trade away to free up the cap space.
Crazy that the first time I hear of Monahan having a substance abuse issue it's from an Oilers fan on HFBoards.

I propose Monahan to Ottawa for a 3rd in the off-season

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Nope, no cap back if he's being moved instead of Lucic. Gotta resign Gaudreau and the RFA's
No one is giving anything up for monahan at 6M. And if you're not taking cap back you probably have to add a sweetener. How many teams do you think have that much cap space? And why would they use it on a player that isn't worth that much?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Good goal scoring, but doesn't provide much. I think a late 1st would be a good starting point for him.

Anyways, calgary doesnt have a reason to really move him anyway. They ahve a really balanced roster already.

He has 18 goals in his last 101 games and 50% of them are on the PP.

He sucks and is making a lot of money. Hard to see him returning anything of value.... but, I guess Dadonov returned Holden & a 3rd so who knows.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Monahan + Calgary 22 2nd to Seattle for Calgary 22 4th?

Calgary drops back 2 rounds to shed 6.3M in cap. Seattle takes a chance on Monahan rebounding with a bigger role and it takes them out of overpaying for Trochek or Strome on big free agent contracts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Monahan + Calgary 22 2nd to Seattle for Calgary 22 4th?

Calgary drops back 2 rounds to shed 6.3M in cap. Seattle takes a chance on Monahan rebounding with a bigger role and it takes them out of overpaying for Trochek or Strome on big free agent contracts.

Too much from ……Seattle.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Too much from ……Seattle.

Maybe, just depends on how desperate Calgary gets in wanting to move cap. But I wouldn't pass up the chance to add a 2nd cause sending a 4th back might be too much. If they would do it for less than sure offer less but I also think Monahan could be useful in Seattle so I would want to make sure I get him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Like a 3rd/4th

Could see a team like Arizona doing it, and then trying to flip him at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad