Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Jared McCann signs extension with Kraken (5 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.

His stats looked a whole lot better if he wasn't stuck on a team that had two better centers ahead of him. And it showing that with more ice time McCann is producing better.

He was always going to get a pay raise. Going from 2.9m AVV to 5m AVV is not a bad thing.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.

While there is some truth in McCann producing because he's getting top minutes by default, he will be in Seattle's top 6 for a long time and keep getting those opportunities.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Weird takes in here. People are saying a 21g scorer is overpaid at 5M are also the ones who probably say Seattle made a mistake not taking 3g 8.25M Voracek.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anyone that has actually been watching McCann's play this season can not possibly argue that this is a bad contract (unless he seriously regresses).

The argument that the only reason he is producing is because he is playing a ton in the top six is also ridiculous. Hakstol roles 4 lines (3 of them nearly equally), and McCann is barely playing 16 minutes a game.

Most fans on the Seattle board are in agreement that he and Gourde have hands down been Seattle's top two forwards. (despite the league selecting Eberle to the ASG for some unknown reason)

While no, he is not a superstar top line center, he's been driving lines all season and he's been very effective for the Kraken. If he keeps up his play, this contract will be much more of a steal than an overpayment.

Reactions: brewski420

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
In terms of goal scoring? lol no. This guys shot is ridiculous.
Ok, I don’t watch kraken games, I’ll take your word. When dubas traded for McCann I thought, ok maybe dubie is a capable nhl gm, but that lasted 5 mins when he protected holl over McCann. He almost had it!

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ok, I don’t watch kraken games, I’ll take your word. When dubas traded for McCann I thought, ok maybe dubie is a capable nhl gm, but that lasted 5 mins when he protected holl over McCann. He almost had it!

Yah, pretty dumb to not keep him. But I don't think McCann gets the PP time or top 6 mins he's getting in Seattle, if he was in Toronto.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The need to trade McCann is Bennings biggest WTF move.

As a 19 year old McCann had a very solid rookie season. Years later McCann is a solid two way playrr who can play up and down the line up.

Thanks Benning!

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id still prefer Gudbranson and a 5th over Mccann, Pick #33 in 2016 and a 4th

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Weird takes in here. People are saying a 21g scorer is overpaid at 5M are also the ones who probably say Seattle made a mistake not taking 3g 8.25M Voracek.

Those same people would probably have said they should have taken Domi instead if they were afraid of Voracek's contract. It would have given them a better player than the guy Seattle let go back to the Jackets for absolutely nothing, resulting in a wasted pick.

Also, Voracek has more points than anyone on Seattle...

Calling out the people critical of Seattle's moves is a weird move.

This signing isn't an issue though, as long as McCann keeps producing with the minutes he's given. No reason to think that won't happen.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Those same people would probably have said they should have taken Domi instead if they were afraid of Voracek's contract. It would have given them a better player than the guy the let go back to the Jackets for absolutely nothing, resulting in a wasted pick.

Calling out the people critical of Seattle's moves is a weird move.

This signing isn't an issue though, as long as McCann keeps producing with the minutes he's given. No reason to think that won't happen.

People do forget Domi was coming off injury and all reports were he wouldn't be back till December at the earliest. Miraculous recovery. Some of the criticism comes with a bit of hindsight attached. A lot it deserved but Seattle was not going to be a Vegas type draft.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Id still prefer Gudbranson and a 5th over Mccann, Pick #33 in 2016 and a 4th

Is it assumed that as owner of pick 33 in 2016 you’d have wasted it on Rasmus Asplund and not had a scouting staff that might have told you to draft Kyrou, or Debrincat, or Girard, or Fox?

dman34

May 6, 2011
Defensively responsible 2-way centre who can pop 20-30 goals and will fall right into their 2nd line centre slot as they add to their roster moving moving forward. Solid signing and good for McCann.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Yeah this contract will age well, as he settles back into his 30-35 point a season pace after this season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

3 goals, and 40 assists. 2nd highest scorer on his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad