Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Jared McCann signs extension with Kraken (5 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not so Fun fact
McCann was drafted 24th in 2014 by Jim Benning and the Canucks, the pick was a part of the return from the Kesler trade to the Ducks.

After his first nhl season, in 2016 he was traded to Florida for Eric Gudbranson, Benning even threw in a 2nd round pick without Florida asking for it because he thought, as I quote “they would want more than just Jared McCann”

Edit: Canucks now only has Tanner Pearson and a half retired Brandon Sutter to show for the Kesler trade, :laugh::laugh:
Good thing they traded him for futures haha

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.

5 Hole

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
I liked him in FL. Saw some flashes of what he could do. 5x5 seems a bit high but hopefully he grows into it.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.
21 goals in 50 games smells like a top 6 forward to me.

Reactions: stardog

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
21 goals in 50 games smells like a top 6 forward to me.

There's a difference between being a legitimate top-6 forward and producing at a top-6 forward rate.

McCann is producing a lot because someone has to produce. It's the same situation as someone like Boedker when he was in Arizona, he was given the prime scoring minutes in Arizona, so he produced because of it. As soon as he left Arizona, everyone realized he was nothing more than a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He scored at a 50 point pace during his Pittsburgh tenure and he’s scoring at a 54 point pace now. This deal locks up his prime years. $5M also isn’t what it used to be. I agree it’s not a sexy deal but it is market rate. I don’t think a team in Seattle’s state has the bargaining power to get anything lower than market rate. There’s little incentive to stick around there right now.

Reactions: kanucks25 and Eegs

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
They do it right before the leafs game to insert their APLHA presents . JEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So you could have McCann for one pop or Kerfoot for a couple. McCann is a natural center and Powerplay producer. How does that help the leafs?

I'm assuming he meant over Holl, not over Kerfoot.

But if he did mean Kerfoot, part of the thinking would be that in losing Kerfoot, you also gain $3.5 million in cap space.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

It’s not a lot of money really. He scored and can play a top six role for at least a year or two. This is not a deal that sinks a team. He’d make this on the open market.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Huh? In what world is he not a top-six player? 52 points per 82 game pace over the last three seasons. And that's discounting that he's gotten better over his last two seasons, and will very likely eclipse that production with a bigger role in Seattle.

52 points is clear-cut, no-doubt, top-six production. Couple that with strong underlying shot/chance metrics, and locking McCann up at a $5M AAV is a very, very good deal for Seattle. The market rate for a 50+ point scorer is likely starting around $5.5.M, and those UFA guys are already past their prime. Seattle gets McCann for the peak of his career and no longer.

Do people actually know what top-six production is? Like do you think a guy is only a top-six player if they score 70 points with Selke defense?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
To be fair we "moved on" because of a bad judgement call, that most of us fans were in agreement with at the time of the expansion draft. Good for McCann and the Kraken.

From what I recall, Kerfoot was rumored to be the pick from the Leafs, which they were reportedly fine with (they even did a rehearsal with Weekes where he announced Kerfoot being taken). Then Toronto picks up McCann and Seattle takes him, unbeknownst to Dubas, because he was going to be their pick from Pittsburgh. Is that fair to say?

I think there were some serious communication errors on the part of Francis that week.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Huh? In what world is he not a top-six player? 52 points per 82 game pace over the last three seasons. And that's discounting that he's gotten better over his last two seasons, and will very likely eclipse that production with a bigger role in Seattle.

52 points is clear-cut, no-doubt, top-six production. Couple that with strong underlying shot/chance metrics, and locking McCann up at a $5M AAV is a very, very good deal for Seattle. The market rate for a 50+ point scorer is likely starting around $5.5.M, and those UFA guys are already past their prime. Seattle gets McCann for the peak of his career and no longer.

Do people actually know what top-six production is? Like do you think a guy is only a top-six player if they score 70 points with Selke defense?

Like I posted above, there is a difference between a guy who produces at a top-6 pace and a guy who is actually a top-6 forward.

I watched McCann in Pittsburgh for years. He's not a top-6 forward on a good team. He can produce well if you play him in that role, but your team will very likely suck if you do that.

He's a winger who can produce really well if you use him on the powerplay and in an offensive role at ES. If you are a team where McCann is being used like that, you're very likely not a good team. If McCann is a primary offensive weapon and a member of your PP1, you're probably a bad team.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Good lord, Toronto really is the centre of the hockey universe.

Can’t read a single thread without someone mentioning the Leafs. Why does every thread need to be about Toronto?

Please change the topic back to McCann so I can read more about his stats and accomplishments, thanks.

i mean a guy made the same joke that everyone makes about players that get moved around teams without playing on one.

You're making it more about the Leafs than anyone else, Alannis

Literally 10 posts in lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Glad he turned out, as he is a good player, and drives offense very well.

That clown Benning rushed him to the league and tried to ruin his development with what Ray Ferraro called
"The dumbest development plan I have seen"

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Like I posted above, there is a difference between a guy who produces at a top-6 pace and a guy who is actually a top-6 forward.

I watched McCann in Pittsburgh for years. He's not a top-6 forward on a good team. He can produce well if you play him in that role, but your team will very likely suck if you do that.

Any forward who is within the best 192 forwards in the NHL is by definition, a top-six forward. I would rank McCann much higher than that though. His production and underlying play are very solid.

There are maybe like 1-2 teams with six better forwards than him. Even on Colorado? Probably slot him ahead of Nuke on the 2nd line. Calgary? Their 2nd line has Backlund and Coleman on it. Toronto? I would slot him ahead of Kerfoot/Robertson on the 2nd line. Carolina? McCann is a better player right now than Necas and Jarvis, who are in their top-six. You say he wouldn't be a top-six player in Pittsburgh, but he's clearly better than a much-maligned Kapanen, who is currently occupying a top-six spot. And it's not like Pittsburgh was a "bad team" last season. Maybe like Tampa and Florida are the only clubs with six legitimately better forwards.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Given SEA favourable tax position relative to others, the cap hit is too high, fine with the term.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Given SEA favourable tax position relative to others, the cap hit is too high, fine with the term.

To high? 5m cap hit is fine. Its only 2.1m more than what he gets now. He was always going to get a pay raise.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I absolutely couldn't be happier to have this guy around for awhile and at a reasonable price,too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad