Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] Jared McCann signs extension with Kraken (5 years, $5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Any forward who is within the best 192 forwards in the NHL is by definition, a top-six forward. I would rank McCann much higher than that though. His production and underlying play are very solid.

There are maybe like 1-2 teams with six better forwards than him. Even on Colorado? Probably slot him ahead of Nuke on the 2nd line. Calgary? Their 2nd line has Backlund and Coleman on it. Toronto? I would slot him ahead of Kerfoot/Robertson on the 2nd line. Carolina? McCann is a better player right now than Necas and Jarvis, who are in their top-six. You say he wouldn't be a top-six player in Pittsburgh, but he's clearly better than a much-maligned Kapanen, who is currently occupying a top-six spot. And it's not like Pittsburgh was a "bad team" last season. Maybe like Tampa and Florida are the only clubs with six legitimately better forwards.

McCann wouldn't be nearly as productive on those teams because he wouldn't be getting the prime powerplay opportunities that he gets on Seattle. Do you think McCann would have 12 powerplay points on a team like Calgary, Colorado or Carolina? Of course not, because he wouldn't be on their top powerplay unit.

If you play players in an elevated role, you can get them to produce a ton. Look at Evan Rodrigues this year. When Malkin was out and Rodrigues was playing an elevated role, Rodrigues had 15 goals and 30 points in 35 games while playing 17:40 a night. Since Malkin came back, he has 1 goal and 5 points in 22 games while playing 15:30 a night. Those kind of replaceable players can produce really well in elevated roles if you give them the opportunity, but if those guys are your primary choices for those elevated roles to begin with, your team isn't going to be good.

I keep using Mikael Boedker because he's the perfect example of this. If you use him like one of your primary offensive players, he will produce. If he's on an offensive line and a top powerplay unit, he will produce. If he's your first choice for those roles because you don't have anyone better, your team sucks.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
McCann wouldn't be nearly as productive on those teams because he wouldn't be getting the prime powerplay opportunities that he gets on Seattle. Do you think McCann would have 12 powerplay points on a team like Calgary, Colorado or Carolina? Of course not, because he wouldn't be on their top powerplay unit.

If you play players in an elevated role, you can get them to produce a ton. Look at Evan Rodrigues this year. When Malkin was out and Rodrigues was playing an elevated role, Rodrigues had 15 goals and 30 points in 35 games while playing 17:40 a night. Since Malkin came back, he has 1 goal and 5 points in 22 games while playing 15:30 a night. Those kind of replaceable players can produce really well in elevated roles if you give them the opportunity, but if those guys are your primary choices for those elevated roles to begin with, your team isn't going to be good.

I keep using Mikael Boedker because he's the perfect example of this. If you use him like one of your primary offensive players, he will produce. If he's on an offensive line and a top powerplay unit, he will produce. If he's your first choice for those roles because you don't have anyone better, your team sucks.

He still produced at a top-six rate while playing 14 minutes per game in Pittsburgh. You're saying he can't produce without premium usage, except he's already been doing that. I think most people would agree that Pittsburgh is not a "bad" team. Last season, McCann had the 6th highest total PP TOI among Penguins forwards, so he clearly was not a regular choice on the top PP unit either.

He's already shown he can produce in limited minutes. And you'd expect he can produce with more opportunity too. Your argument doesn't hold any water.

Reactions: quat

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Has a guy ever been traded for a 7th and then get a 25 million dollar contract in the same 12 months?

Huh? The Hallander/McCann trade was pretty obviously expansion-focused. It wasn't about the value of McCann. Pittsburgh knew they were losing a player, so they figured they'd get something for him. From Toronto's POV, it was never about McCann at all. They just paid Hallander + pick to keep all of their current roster players, knowing Seattle would take McCann.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He still produced at a top-six rate while playing 14 minutes per game in Pittsburgh. You're saying he can't produce without premium usage, except he's already been doing that. I think most people would agree that Pittsburgh is not a "bad" team. Last season, McCann had the 6th highest total PP TOI among Penguins forwards, so he clearly was not a regular choice on the top PP unit either.

He's already shown he can produce in limited minutes. And you'd expect he can produce with more opportunity too. Your argument doesn't hold any water.

Go look at his actual PP production instead of overall numbers. He got a ton of powerplay production in a very small sample size last year on their top powerplay unit where basically every shot he took was going in.

McCann had 6 goals and 9 points in 15 games on the powerplay from 3-25 to 4-24. Know what that just coincidentally lines up with? Malkin getting injured right before that and not coming back until May, which pushed McCann to the top PP unit.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Go look at his actual PP production instead of overall numbers. He got a ton of powerplay production in a very small sample size last year on their top powerplay unit where basically every shot he took was going in.

McCann had 6 goals and 9 points in 15 games on the powerplay from 3-25 to 4-24. Know what that just coincidentally lines up with? Malkin getting injured right before that and not coming back until May, which pushed McCann to the top PP unit.

He still had the 6th highest total PP TOI in 19-20, and only 6 PP points. He still had top-six production that season (and that was 2.5 seasons ago, ostensibly Seattle figures he's developed further since). He's never been a top PP option in Pittsburgh.

So you're going to fault a guy for taking advantage of an injury absence? Teams have injuries. It would be good to have a guy who can fill in on a top PP capably if injuries occur.

So you have a 25-year-old player who, at baseline, offers top-six production and solid underlying play in limited minutes, and the potential for much more production in an expanded role. I see absolutely no problem with that or with the deal he received from Seattle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He still had the 6th highest total PP TOI in 19-20, and only 6 PP points. He still had top-six production that season (and that was 2.5 seasons ago, ostensibly Seattle figures he's developed further since). He's never been a top PP option in Pittsburgh.

So you're going to fault a guy for taking advantage of an injury absence? Teams have injuries. It would be good to have a guy who can fill in on a top PP capably if injuries occur.

So you have a 25-year-old player who, at baseline, offers top-six production and solid underlying play in limited minutes, and the potential for much more production in an expanded role. I see absolutely no problem with that or with the deal he received from Seattle

McCann was on pace for 43 points in 2019-2020, that's marginally top-6 production. That's much more middle-6 than top-6.

No, I'm not "faulting" McCann for anything. I'm pointing out what he is. If you play him in a heavy offensive role and give him top PP minutes, he can give you 55-60 points. Your team will also suck, because you should have better players than McCann in that usage. McCann being used properly is a ~45 point 2nd/3rd line tweener who you should probably hope to have on your 3rd line when healthy. $5 million isn't "terrible" for that, but I would certainly hope my team wasn't paying him that.

He's a lefty Kasperi Kapanen. If my team paid Kapanen $5 million a year, I would be extraordinarily unhappy about that.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Like I posted above, there is a difference between a guy who produces at a top-6 pace and a guy who is actually a top-6 forward.

I watched McCann in Pittsburgh for years. He's not a top-6 forward on a good team. He can produce well if you play him in that role, but your team will very likely suck if you do that.

He's a winger who can produce really well if you use him on the powerplay and in an offensive role at ES. If you are a team where McCann is being used like that, you're very likely not a good team. If McCann is a primary offensive weapon and a member of your PP1, you're probably a bad team.
This is a reasonable take on the situation, but just as reasonable is that the player actually develops and improves with more opportunity. Miller in Vancouver is such an example. Young players do improve. Heck, even gawdaweful players like Gudbranson can learn to manage their games and end up playing well in their roles. It will be interesting to see what McCann does during this contract.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
McCann was on pace for 43 points in 2019-2020, that's marginally top-6 production. That's much more middle-6 than top-6.

No, I'm not "faulting" McCann for anything. I'm pointing out what he is. If you play him in a heavy offensive role and give him top PP minutes, he can give you 55-60 points. Your team will also suck, because you should have better players than McCann in that usage. McCann being used properly is a ~45 point 2nd/3rd line tweener who you should probably hope to have on your 3rd line when healthy. $5 million isn't "terrible" for that, but I would certainly hope my team wasn't paying him that.

He's a lefty Kasperi Kapanen. If my team paid Kapanen $5 million a year, I would be extraordinarily unhappy about that.
Being so definitive of what a developing player is seems a bit risky, but I can understand a GM (or a fan) might be reticent in offering that contract. I think you're likely going to be proven wrong in your evaluation. There are a lot of players that have exceeded such expectations, yet its definitely reasonable to point out that many more have failed.
It's certainly not that risky a contract and I'm pretty sure the Kraken will be happy with his play and production over the course of the contract.

I should add, I do like the reasoning you've applied, even if I'm not in total agreement with the conclusion. Well thought out.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Has a guy ever been traded for a 7th and then get a 25 million dollar contract in the same 12 months?
Probably not, but hextall got hosed and dubas didn't know what he had. Now both teams are looking for a forward that can score ( Pittsburgh especially)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'm not and I don't think many are I just think the timing of it was a big flex by the Krakens
not much of a flex I mean they had to select someone.
pretty sure if Leafs were hell bent on keeping McCann they would have paid to protect.
dont think Leafs cared they drafted McCann and I seriously doubt they care they resigned him
little weird if people actually think this bothered leafs fans even in the slightest

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.

Don't hold your breath...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That McCann contract is downright bonkers. He's not a top-6 player on a good team, yet they're paying him top-6 money.

As soon as Seattle becomes good and realizes McCann is a 3rd liner on a good team, they're going to regret that deal. If McCann was a center, I'd be much less concerned with this deal, but he's really not a center.

By the time Seattle is good, it will probably be because they hit on some draft picks to fill that top 6, so the ELCs will wash that higher AAV anyway IMO

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I think this contract is a good one for Seattle. On the Penguins he was a third liner but he has lived up to what he needs to be for the Kraken. I don't see him being anything less than a second liner for some time in Seattle. This contract would not look so good for the Pens but it is a good deal for Seattle in my opinion.

Reactions: Irie

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
By the time Seattle is good, it will probably be because they hit on some draft picks to fill that top 6, so the ELCs will wash that higher AAV anyway IMO
I honestly don't get some of the reactions here. What type of a deal did people think McCann would get? Also, I understand concerns about him not being a legit top-6 C but he could always be moved to wing in a 2-3 years when the roster gets more talent. Beniers will help. Our draft pick this year, and potentially next year, will also help. By then Eberle will be off the books and so will Donskoi so we have more $$ to play around with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad