Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
More or less how I feel. Hated most of the options being bandied about. Possible exception of Nelson and Keefe.

5v5 play seems top 10 - ish; goaltending is top 3 ish; need to figure out the specialty teams though.

hope we have a bit of new blood behind the bench.

Think this is key. I've long been a fan of the idea of a diverse coaching bench where separate skill sets combine to make a whole that's greater than the sum -- basically, the opposite of hanging onto a Charlie Huddy.

If Arniel can add some tactical nous and progressive ideas on schemes and usage to supplement his own skills so much the better.

These Jets lack some present star quality and have lost some future picks in their deadline deals. They need to win by being the best at the things they control, and coaching seems like one of those things.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if Pionk could somehow improve by 10% then he'd be playing at 10% efficacy. There's your improvement. 😆

But we would need 10% from every player.

If Pionk could improve 50% (not actually asking for much :laugh: ) that would cover off 5 players worth. :laugh:

Watching the last few games FLA/Nyr and Dal/Edm, the Jets aren’t even close to their compete and skill level.

Not sure about skill, but we never saw anything remotely like that intensity from the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm being sarcastic - those were the numbers our GM and number one center were throwing around in their post season comments.

So where do THEY see any 10% improvement? 10% may be getting thrown around as though it is a small ask but the team improving 10% would be huge.

Our top core players are all on the wrong side of their peak performances. None are likely to improve at all, much less 10%.

It is going to be up to roster change to get any improvement. What does Chevy have in mind?

Watching the last few games FLA/Nyr and Dal/Edm, the Jets aren’t even close to their compete and skill level.

Not sure about skill, but we never saw anything remotely like that intensity from the Jets.
I understand we got thoroughly outplayed I'm not saying we didn't. What i want to see at least for 1 game is the best goalie in the league to stand on his head and steal us a game . Who knows what could happen in a short series if Helly steals a game.

No goalie ever steals a game when he can't see the puck.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
HC. Arniel
Asst Coach PP - Pascal Vincent (once he's fired....)
Asst Coach PK - Mark Morrison

Baumgartner to Moose HC

Player/strength conditioning coach... apparently he's still got it... AND he's a right shot D

Jimmy Roy promoted to Associate Coach as the next coach in waiting.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
On the bright side:

Scott seems like a good guy. He is a career assistant coach so he is well aware that this is his one and only shot to prove the world wrong so motivation shouldn’t be a problem. He was an assistant on a 110 point team and that was a really good run up until the playoffs.

On the less bright side:

This has the optics of being a loyalty hire two years in the making directed from the owner who already has a rep of being too loyal and soft on everyone except the fans who aren’t buying tickets.

If Scott fails, I don’t see Mark green lighting his termination. How bad would it have to get?

I am a Jets fan so I will hope for the best but I am more about the journey these days anyways. It’s my firm belief based on the Jets losing the last 4 games in a row in 5 of their 6 playoff seasons this core is not built for playoff hockey. My journey is more about watching games for entertainment value without any expectations of bright shinny objects that are silver with a cup or bowl on top. The coaching choice viewed through my new glasses doesn’t carry as much weight as it once did.

I doubt Scott will start out by firing any of his assistants but we’ll see. If the organization is happy with last seasons results (and I believe they are) then why would they change coaches? Chevy has said before (after the Vegas series) their goal is to get into the playoffs and then anything can happen and it appears that is their legit standard for success.

I sure hope you are wrong on a couple of points.
1. Assistant coaches - our Special Teams were almost beyond words bad most of the time. I've never seen any such numbers but I suspect that we had a better chance of scoring in any 2 minutes 5v5 than we did in 2 minutes at 5v4. At least until Monahan was added and Vilardi was healthy. The PK wasn't quite as bad, but close.
2. The standard for success - it does not need to be measured by winning a Cup, or by winning any lesser prize, President's Trophy, a Div, a Conf, or anything else. But it does need to be striving for the Cup, even if that requires missing the PO sometimes. If you are not striving for the Cup then every game is an exhibition game. Standings and W & L mean nothing. Making the PO means nothing. Try to win every game for the entertainment value, but don't even bother keeping track. Start with a clean slate every game.
3. Assistant coaches again - If nothing is done about ST then see point #2 above. They are not striving to win the Cup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If they keep Lauer then reassign his role. Have someone else handle the pp.

Yeah i wouldn't be that surprised if Vincent came back if he was let go.

Associate coach, anointed as the eventual successor to Arniel. (say that with a straight face emoji)

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Bowness said "Arniel is the perfect guy to continue what we were trying to build" After this playoff failure it is obvious the way they were trying to build is not working. I would of preferred to try something else.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Bowness said "Arniel is the perfect guy to continue what we were trying to build" After this playoff failure it is obvious the way they were trying to build is not working. I would of preferred to try something else.
So, finishing 4th in the league with 110 points while allowing the fewest goals against is defined as "not working"?

Hot take

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
So, finishing 4th in the league with 110 points while allowing the fewest goals against is defined as "not working"?

Hot take

Hot take

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. This team does not have the right player mix to win in the playoffs.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The goal is to win the Stanley Cup. This team does not have the right player mix to win in the playoffs.
What does that have to do with the coach?

Bowness talks about what they're "building". By definition, it's not yet complete. Next step is to maintain regular season success and add playoff success.

I'm sure before last season people doubted that we had the right player mix to put up 110 points, but they were wrong

31 teams won't win the cup

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Catfail.gif

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
What does that have to do with the coach?

Bowness talks about what they're "building". By definition, it's not yet complete. Next step is to maintain regular season success and add playoff success.

I'm sure before last season people doubted that we had the right player mix to put up 110 points, but they were wrong

31 teams won't win the cup

True it is more of a player thing. Hiring Arniel just gives me the feeling that the organization feels everything is great and lets just continue on the same path. I dont think Arniel is a bad choice but I would just love to see a bold move by the organization. I just hope there are some changes with the assistant coaches and some bold moves to change the player mix on the team.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Anybody in charge of the pp or pk needs to go .
Well Scott Arniel ran the PK, and the 1st unit against Colorado was really good. The 2nd unit with Monahan on it and Pionk and/or Schmidt on defense got torched throughout the series. Was slightly better when Gustafsson took over from Monahan as a adjustment, but Gustafsson's 5 on 5 play is nothing special...The real possibility of losing De Melo and Dillon and getting better on the PK seems like a coaching challenge...Maurice couldn't get a decent PK out of anyone here after 2019. Couldn't get a decent PP either when Wheeler declined. Systems wise probably room for improvement on the PP...but the Jets do generate some offense from the overload...Monahan winning faceoffs and playing the bumper helped alot. But you probably need some more wrinkles in the design...I hinge a lot of the team's success on growth, from young players...Will Cole Perfetti become a goal scorer...Can Ville bring some noise from the 2nd PP with Lambert? At this point I am happy to see young players hungry making mistakes or making a difference than I am watching vets fail.
For the PK I call it irony that Edmonton is doing such a good job under Mark Stuart's leadership when Stu was the subject of so much derision here.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think Arneil has the right type of personality to be the head Coach. I hope he proves me wrong and takes the Jets to the next level, and that's a deep push into the playoffs. We'll see how it goes, and I wish him all the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad