Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Wonder if Vigneault grabs an assistant job with the Arniel Jets?
HC. Arniel
Asst Coach PP - Pascal Vincent (once he's fired....)
Asst Coach PK - Mark Morrison

Baumgartner to Moose HC
So Mike Commodore won’t be filling one of Arniel’s assistant coaching jobs?
Player/strength conditioning coach... apparently he's still got it... AND he's a right shot D

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
@surixon arguments about perfetti would be much more compelling if they were read in this voice....

jeffspicoli2.jpg

Lmao. Such a fantastic movie.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Scott Arniel came into Columbus as a first time NHL head coach, and he came in there loaded with jealousy and arrogance. His mindset was "now I am an NHL coach and I am going to get even for any shortcomings in my playing career".

Scott Arniel played pro hockey a long time at the NHL and AHL level. Scott Arniel didn't think he was paid enough for the time he put in. He didn't like guys that weren't married. Because in his words "I wish you guys had a wife and kids when you came to the NHL so you know how much they cost". He actually said that in a meeting.

I was playing against top lines...the only stat that doesn't look good is the plus minus. Pitt beat us 9-1 one night and I was -4. Other then that 1 game my plus minus was just like everyone else's on the team. Anyways...I was playing well....then he scratched me 10 games in a row. Refused to meet with me. Wouldn't play me. The team was getting spanked left and right while I was being scratched...still wouldn't play me.

2 reasons.....he was jealous that I was single and making good cash...and secondly he is extremely arrogant and wanted more power in the organization. By scratching me who looks bad? Well first off I do. And secondly the GM looks terrible cause he is the one that signed me to be the highest paid defenseman on the team. So what ends up happening? I want a trade so Arniel kicks me off the team, I get bought out - and no matter what the reason is a buyout is a black mark against you. And its been downhill from that point forward.

I know it sounds kinda crazy....but I put a lot of time into this and those are the reasons. If I was playing like **** I would say so. I was a pretty good player in Columbus. My first year was great, my second year I played the whole year with groin problems, and the third year arrogant jealous Scott Arniel got hired and that's the end of the story.

The next season he tried the same tactics with Derrick Brassard, another single guy making good money, but fortunately for Derrick - Arniel got canned before he could finish him off.
The time line doesn't match the story. Brassard finished 2nd in scoring for the Rangers in the 15/16 then got traded in the off season to the Sens. Arniel was with the Rangers for two more seasons.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The time line doesn't match the story. Brassard finished 2nd in scoring for the Rangers in the 15/16 then got traded in the off season to the Sens. Arniel was with the Rangers for two more seasons.

He's talking about his Columbus stint as head coach. Brassard was a young player then. But as I showed Brassard actually saw an increase in playing time and developed into a top 6 player under Scott.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
HC. Arniel
Asst Coach PP - Pascal Vincent (once he's fired....)
Asst Coach PK - Mark Morrison

Baumgartner to Moose HC

Player/strength conditioning coach... apparently he's still got it... AND he's a right shot D
I wonder if Nolan Baumgartner gets promoted to D coach, not saying he should but you would have a good working relationship with Arniel there. And good chance two of the d-men he coached are on the Jets next season. I know people want Lauer fired but I'd give him another chance...can obviously coach young players from the Oil Kings success. Maybe we need Mark Stuart for the PK success? What's Stu Barnes doing these days? He's another guy who kind of fits the people we have here.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfHouse

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I see a lot of "TNSE, Chipman, etc, too loyal, Arneil was hired specifically to take over from Bones one day, all pre-ordained, etc, etc". Perhaps it's just the age-old dilemma the Jets organization face: it's very difficult to attract top quality guys here, be it players or coaches. You think Trotz would've chosen -40°C winters, potholes, high taxes, plus the scrutiny of the "home town boy comes home" situation? As opposed to being the Preds GM, with an organization & city he already knows & likes, without the high taxes & harsh winters? None of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes, so the above is obviously uninformed speculation. And whether the outsiders perception of Winnipeg is right or wrong, that perception exists, and we're sometimes forced to overpay to get guys here (hello, Nate Schmidt, etc). I'm sure it's the same with coaches. I'm not trying to give Chipman a pass, as TSNE has sh:t the bed many times, as we all know. But sometimes we get who we get & we have to make the best of it. If they fire Lauer & hire some assistants with innovative PK/PP ideas, then I'm willing to give Arneil a chance. And maybe Arneil's approach will be different & it might take some time to get things in gear. So the next person who immediately says "fire Arneil" if we lose the 1st game of the season might want to bear that in mind. Just my $0.02 worth.

I think what you refer to is exactly the reason Arniel was brought in 2 years ago with the intention of taking the reigns after Bones' stint. The org had been through a process of searching for someone after Mo walked and they were left with Bowness who was let's face it at best the third or fourth option. I think Chipman's reasoning was "we've got Bones for probably a couple years till he retires and then we're going to be in the soup again looking for somebody. We can bring Arniel in now and get him preparing to take the role when Bones is done and avoid the whole process."

In a way it's a smart move. You have a guy who knows the team and the org and has had time to develop some plans and so forth and hopefully you get a nice smooth transition. Otoh, coaching is a weird thing...all you might really be doing is starting a guy 2 years closer to his best before date.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if Nolan Baumgartner gets promoted to D coach, not saying he should but you would have a good working relationship with Arniel there. I know people want Lauer fired but I'd give him another chance...can obviously coach young players from the Oil Kings success. Maybe we need Mark Stuart for the PK success? What's Stu Barnes doing these days? He's another guy who kind of fits the people we have here.

If they keep Lauer then reassign his role. Have someone else handle the pp.

Yeah i wouldn't be that surprised if Vincent came back if he was let go.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I wonder if Nolan Baumgartner gets promoted to D coach, not saying he should but you would have a good working relationship with Arniel there. And good chance two of the d-men he coached are on the Jets next season. I know people want Lauer fired but I'd give him another chance...can obviously coach young players from the Oil Kings success. Maybe we need Mark Stuart for the PK success? What's Stu Barnes doing these days? He's another guy who kind of fits the people we have here.
Anybody in charge of the pp or pk needs to go .

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Honestly this is exactly what Cheveldayoff needs to address for the naysayers.
He should layout the entire decision making process to the fans.
Explain to us fans why Arniel will succeed where Maurice and Bowness did not.
Tell us why this team cannot find another level in the playoffs.
Explain why a perennial Vezina caliber goalie carries the team TO the playoffs but is not supported or isn’t up to the standard then.
THAT is the GM’s job in a nut shell.
Announcement means nothing on its own.
Not a word salad answer but an answer with real conviction.

Good post. Such a presser might help encourage folks into backing the Jets with a little fire into next season -- maybe even more than an email to STHs.

Underwhelming for me for now, but here's hoping for a great second act for Arnel. Maybe he'll be more 2015-era PoMo and be the man to make roster, deployment and tactical decisions that allow the team to integrate some youth and play some smart, uptempo, entertaining and winning hockey.

Anyway, it's still May. Plenty of time to live on the bright side.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I think it was a cop out and Chevy even mirrored that lame excuse -

I'm with you on this one. What does it even mean? 10% of what? Scoring? Effort? Skill? Greatness of hair? Heart? Vitamin supplement consumption? Passing efficiency? High-danger chances? Grit? Not having Pionk?

What analysis of that series makes any sense of that 10%? Why wouldn't COL, or DAL, or any other team also be capable and willing to add that Offseason 10 that will take them to the cup?

Feels like most who paid attention came to quite a different conclusion, thought the Jets were badly outclassed in pretty much every eye-test area and metric, and are hoping for the team to take a big step forward in terms of optimizing the talent they have if they're going to stay competitive, and hopefully they can identify and exploit those in ways they've somtimes neglected.

So Mike Commodore won’t be filling one of Arniel’s assistant coaching jobs?

If I'm Arniel, and want to silence all them haters, bringing on Crazy Mike as my motivational and socials guru is my first move.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Yeah i wouldn't be that surprised if Vincent came back if he was let go.
[/QUOTE]

That would be great! Then when Arniel decides to retire in 2034 Vincent can just take over. We would be set for the next 20 years.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I see a lot of "TNSE, Chipman, etc, too loyal, Arneil was hired specifically to take over from Bones one day, all pre-ordained, etc, etc". Perhaps it's just the age-old dilemma the Jets organization face: it's very difficult to attract top quality guys here, be it players or coaches. You think Trotz would've chosen -40°C winters, potholes, high taxes, plus the scrutiny of the "home town boy comes home" situation? As opposed to being the Preds GM, with an organization & city he already knows & likes, without the high taxes & harsh winters? None of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes, so the above is obviously uninformed speculation. And whether the outsiders perception of Winnipeg is right or wrong, that perception exists, and we're sometimes forced to overpay to get guys here (hello, Nate Schmidt, etc). I'm sure it's the same with coaches. I'm not trying to give Chipman a pass, as TSNE has sh:t the bed many times, as we all know. But sometimes we get who we get & we have to make the best of it. If they fire Lauer & hire some assistants with innovative PK/PP ideas, then I'm willing to give Arneil a chance. And maybe Arneil's approach will be different & it might take some time to get things in gear. So the next person who immediately says "fire Arneil" if we lose the 1st game of the season might want to bear that in mind. Just my $0.02 worth.
The Jets haven't had much trouble attracting players, but coaches and executives have been a completely different story even going back to Jets 1.0

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In regards to the Commodore comments if they are not “fake news”

Mike used up his coach hating chips with Babcock. I get why any player could have an issue with Babs but when Mike trashes a second coach like this for his usage he comes across like a whiny Douche bag.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bring back Phil Sykes!!!!

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pretty much expected. Team had 110 points last season. Change for the sake of change doesn’t mean better. Hopefully the assistants change though. You have to have good special teams if you want to be a Cup Contender.

Well they changed one of the two, maybe Lauer becomes head of the PK now and promoted to associate, everything solved by promoting the problems just like Pionk :sarcasm:.

There's already change. Bowness is gone. It was his system. It's not like he's a lifelong Bowness disciple.

Hopefully the changes are good.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Don’t like it, don’t hate it either.

Prefer Arniel to a handful of the retread coach options, but man this organization seems allergic to doing anything bold or off the board.

For the love of god please keep him away from the PK…
More or less how I feel. Hated most of the options being bandied about. Possible exception of Nelson and Keefe.

5v5 play seems top 10 - ish; goaltending is top 3 ish; need to figure out the specialty teams though.

hope we have a bit of new blood behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad