Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sometimes people just don’t get along for whatever reasons , and because we weren’t there, we don’t know… but in regards to Mike Commodore’s tweet… there is definitely some bad blood there. From an interview he gave once…

Arniel was essentially the start of the end of his career. He went from being a regular starting dmen to splitting time between the NHL and AHL under Scott. He went on to play only 30 more NHL games the year after and was out of the league.

So yeah I can believe there was some bad blood there. Some players don't have a good handle on the state of their game.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Sometimes people just don’t get along for whatever reasons , and because we weren’t there, we don’t know… but in regards to Mike Commodore’s tweet… there is definitely some bad blood there. From an interview he gave once…

See Columbus comments..

He sounds completely unhinged. If he was as good as he thinks he was then he would've stuck around the NHL longer after the Jackets cut him. What a tool.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

See Columbus comments..

Arniel scratched him a bunch of times

Reactions: surixon

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

See Columbus comments..

Scott Arniel came into Columbus as a first time NHL head coach, and he came in there loaded with jealousy and arrogance. His mindset was "now I am an NHL coach and I am going to get even for any shortcomings in my playing career".

Scott Arniel played pro hockey a long time at the NHL and AHL level. Scott Arniel didn't think he was paid enough for the time he put in. He didn't like guys that weren't married. Because in his words "I wish you guys had a wife and kids when you came to the NHL so you know how much they cost". He actually said that in a meeting.

I was playing against top lines...the only stat that doesn't look good is the plus minus. Pitt beat us 9-1 one night and I was -4. Other then that 1 game my plus minus was just like everyone else's on the team. Anyways...I was playing well....then he scratched me 10 games in a row. Refused to meet with me. Wouldn't play me. The team was getting spanked left and right while I was being scratched...still wouldn't play me.

2 reasons.....he was jealous that I was single and making good cash...and secondly he is extremely arrogant and wanted more power in the organization. By scratching me who looks bad? Well first off I do. And secondly the GM looks terrible cause he is the one that signed me to be the highest paid defenseman on the team. So what ends up happening? I want a trade so Arniel kicks me off the team, I get bought out - and no matter what the reason is a buyout is a black mark against you. And its been downhill from that point forward.

I know it sounds kinda crazy....but I put a lot of time into this and those are the reasons. If I was playing like **** I would say so. I was a pretty good player in Columbus. My first year was great, my second year I played the whole year with groin problems, and the third year arrogant jealous Scott Arniel got hired and that's the end of the story.

The next season he tried the same tactics with Derrick Brassard, another single guy making good money, but fortunately for Derrick - Arniel got canned before he could finish him off.

• Wow
Reactions: Guardian17

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Scott Arniel came into Columbus as a first time NHL head coach, and he came in there loaded with jealousy and arrogance. His mindset was "now I am an NHL coach and I am going to get even for any shortcomings in my playing career".

Scott Arniel played pro hockey a long time at the NHL and AHL level. Scott Arniel didn't think he was paid enough for the time he put in. He didn't like guys that weren't married. Because in his words "I wish you guys had a wife and kids when you came to the NHL so you know how much they cost". He actually said that in a meeting.

I was playing against top lines...the only stat that doesn't look good is the plus minus. Pitt beat us 9-1 one night and I was -4. Other then that 1 game my plus minus was just like everyone else's on the team. Anyways...I was playing well....then he scratched me 10 games in a row. Refused to meet with me. Wouldn't play me. The team was getting spanked left and right while I was being scratched...still wouldn't play me.

2 reasons.....he was jealous that I was single and making good cash...and secondly he is extremely arrogant and wanted more power in the organization. By scratching me who looks bad? Well first off I do. And secondly the GM looks terrible cause he is the one that signed me to be the highest paid defenseman on the team. So what ends up happening? I want a trade so Arniel kicks me off the team, I get bought out - and no matter what the reason is a buyout is a black mark against you. And its been downhill from that point forward.

I know it sounds kinda crazy....but I put a lot of time into this and those are the reasons. If I was playing like **** I would say so. I was a pretty good player in Columbus. My first year was great, my second year I played the whole year with groin problems, and the third year arrogant jealous Scott Arniel got hired and that's the end of the story.

The next season he tried the same tactics with Derrick Brassard, another single guy making good money, but fortunately for Derrick - Arniel got canned before he could finish him off.
Is that an Evander Kane quote?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Saltier than a bag of chips.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sounds like sour grapes. Seems like the other NHL coaches Mike had after didn't think anything differently then Scott.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I guess it depends on if the org views the team closer to the 110 point team or the playoff no-show team. If it's the former then bringing Arniel makes sense.
I don't think the org sees the team as a playoff no show
I think they feel they were simply out skilled and and a 10% offseason improvement should fill that gap

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Man, who gives a crap about "Manitoba Made"? It's not a jar of freaking honey we're talking about.

Tell me about the successes with those organizations. Tell me about his accomplishments. (yes, I'll go looking at those years, maybe the Wolves won when he was coaching). Is TNSE really this naive about their marketing?

Maybe I'm just at the point of being cynical about pretty much all this org does not actually do from a STH standpoint. Probably that is it.

I'll give Arniel a shot, but I'm reluctant to credit him with success when Bones was away during an epic defensive run. The team just kept doing what it was doing prior to Bones leave, and continued after his return. That record seems to have more to do with team play than Arniel's inspiration over a short tenure.

I wish him and the org good luck, hopefully he can figure this group of players out. Also, #firebradlauer

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think the org sees the team as a playoff no show
I think they feel they were simply out skilled and and a 10% offseason improvement should fill that gap
110% maybe

I bet if Chipman could put that god awful moose mascot behind the bench he would. Jets just can’t help themselves today with the posts about how strong his ties are to the organization 🙄🙄🙄

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Those comments actually has me warming up to the Arniel hire. Having the guts to cut dead weight is what we need. Are you listening Chevy?

Yeah I was going to say tha as well. Also the Brassard comment is silly. Brassard saw a 3 minute increase in usage under Scott and finished third in Blue Jacket scoring. His usage was pretty much the same the following year lol.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Just fix the Power Play and PK

and play a little bit heavier (but that might not be possible with the type of skill sets /character make up Jets players have).

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Bowness more or less said it on SN….Arniel is there to carry on the work that Bones started. So expect the same.

I would almost guarantee it, that when Arniel was hired with Bones two years ago he was told the HC job was his when Bowness retired.
I think we all pretty much said the same when arniel was named to the coaching staff. I just think now many of us would like the front office to go in another direction.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and he finds a way to get these guys to the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad