Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
This is a good post and brings a nice counter perspective to the discussion. But I will add if it is really Arniel's big opportunity he needs to be given the freedom to select his own assistant couching staff. I'm hoping to hear of some current assistant coach firings next week, or for God's sakes at least Lauer's firing.
Should be, but you know that won’t be the case. Not with a great hockey mind like Mark Chipman sticking his nose in.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The Calder Cup Final was in 2008....how many NHLers are still in the league form 2008? Lol

He's got a losing record as a head coach in the NHL. His assistant coach accolades don't take away from the fact he has been an awful head coach.

There is a reason CBJ fans are laughing at us.

You realize how silly you sound when you laugh at an example based on how long ago it happened, then immediately use an example that happened at relatively the same time?

No one in Columbus remembers Scott let alone laughing about this hiring. Your posts are comical though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly this is exactly what Cheveldayoff needs to address for the naysayers.
He should layout the entire decision making process to the fans.
Explain to us fans why Arniel will succeed where Maurice and Bowness did not.
Tell us why this team cannot find another level in the playoffs.
Explain why a perennial Vezina caliber goalie carries the team TO the playoffs but is not supported or isn’t up to the standard then.
THAT is the GM’s job in a nut shell.
Announcement means nothing on its own.
Not a word salad answer but an answer with real conviction.

The GMs job is not to publicly answer those questions.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You realize how silly you sound when you laugh at an example based on how long ago it happened, then immediately use an example that happened at relatively the same time?

No one in Columbus remembers Scott let alone laughing about this hiring. Your posts are comical though.
Ya nobody in Columbus is laughing.......and they haven't even met Don Waddell yet. Who we rejected btw.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
How many of the naysayers here could articulate why Arniel is going to be a bad coach (before he starts even, lol) and then compare that to your preferred hire and explain exactly what they would do better? Please go into some detail.

I don’t think anyone - save for maybe someone in Jets locker room? - could fully articulate that one way or the other. The data points we have as outsiders:

-failure as HC in Columbus (I’ll give him a pass for that, although it’s interesting that mostly the same roster was significantly better under Todd Richards)

-ran a pathetic, disorganized PK that probably would have finished dead last but for elite goaltending

-key part of coaching staff for a Jets team that may as well have been replaced by the San Jose Sharks in their first round series vs. the Avs

-Jets veterans apparently like him, which is a red flag in my books. This roster has not done nearly enough in the last 5+ years to influence who gets picked as HC. Would have been nice to hire a coach who would actually hold the right vets accountable (as opposed to low hanging fruit like Perfetti and Ehlers.)

I don’t know if I’m a naysayer, but there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical with this hire.

As for preferred hire, there weren’t many candidates I was excited about once Berube and Keefe were off the market. But as others have said, it feels like this decision was made two years ago.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I don’t think anyone - save for maybe someone in Jets locker room? - could fully articulate that one way or the other. The data points we have as outsiders:

-failure as HC in Columbus (I’ll give him a pass for that, although it’s interesting that mostly the same roster was significantly better under Todd Richards)

-ran a pathetic, disorganized PK that probably would have finished dead last but for elite goaltending

-key part of coaching staff for a Jets team that may as well have been replaced by the San Jose Sharks in their first round series vs. the Avs

-Jets veterans apparently like him, which is a red flag in my books. This roster has not done nearly enough in the last 5+ years to influence who gets picked as HC. Would have been nice to hire a coach who would actually hold the right vets accountable (as opposed to low hanging fruit like Perfetti and Ehlers.)

I don’t know if I’m a naysayer, but there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical with this hire.

As for preferred hire, there weren’t many candidates I was excited about once Berube and Keefe were off the market. But as others have said, it feels like this decision was made two years ago.
Thank you.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
None of those teams won because of him. The Rangers were Vigneault and King Henry's team. The Capitals was Laviolette and Ovechkin. The Jets have made the playoffs consistently since 2017. They almost had a historic collapse last season, and flamed out spectacularly in the playoffs this season. Nobody was celebrating Scott Arniel as an important cog in the machine. Has he learned something in those years? Hopefully. Otherwise he wouldn't still be coaching. I hate that this is the safe, sure, loyal bet that Mark Chipman loves.

Doesn't change the fact that he has earned it as much as any other assistant who gets elevated to HC.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How many times has the GM on any hockey team come out in the summer and said any of the things you suggested Chevy should say?
That’s why support is waning here specifically.
Fans get tired of seeing the same stuff.
Arniel has inherited a decent roster, so he’d better make the playoffs for starters.
Number two he’d better have a competitive playoff team, a team that resembles the team that the regular season showed.
Special teams, nowhere but up, if they fail here then he’s just a TNSE comfort hire.
HF posters don’t hire , therefore Cheveldayoff after 14 years needs to tell us what or why this was the best option.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That’s why support is waning here specifically.
Fans get tired of seeing the same stuff.
Arniel has inherited a decent roster, so he’d better make the playoffs for starters.
Number two he’d better have a competitive playoff team, a team that resembles the team that the regular season showed.
Special teams, nowhere but up, if they fail here then he’s just a TNSE comfort hire.
HF posters don’t hire , therefore Cheveldayoff after 14 years needs to tell us what or why this was the best option.

So it's gone from a GM's job description to appeasing fans on the internet?

What's any one in his position going to say at that point? "Well, we interviewed Berube and Keefe but they told us it's probably not happening, and then we liked that guy in Hershey but we didn't get permission to speak to him so we just fell back to Plan D"?

I'm sure if asked he'd give the "we expect to be a competitive team next year" answer any GM would give.

Reactions: Buffdog

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So it's gone from a GM's job description to appeasing fans on the internet?

What's any one in his position going to say at that point? "Well, we interviewed Berube and Keefe but they told us it's probably not happening, and then we liked that guy in Hershey but we didn't get permission to speak to him so we just fell back to Plan D"?

I'm sure if asked he'd give the "we expect to be a competitive team next year" answer any GM would give.
Not fans on internet, STH and the corporate fans TNSE aims to court

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honestly this is exactly what Cheveldayoff needs to address for the naysayers.
He should layout the entire decision making process to the fans.
Explain to us fans why Arniel will succeed where Maurice and Bowness did not.
Tell us why this team cannot find another level in the playoffs.
Explain why a perennial Vezina caliber goalie carries the team TO the playoffs but is not supported or isn’t up to the standard then.
THAT is the GM’s job in a nut shell.
Announcement means nothing on its own.
Not a word salad answer but an answer with real conviction.
I'm pretty sure none of that is in Chevy's job description

He answers to Chipman and TNSE, not the fans

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not fans on internet, STH and the corporate fans TNSE aims to court

I just wonder how "We were disappointed with how the season ended and we plan to be competitive next year" would go over because that's what you'd get.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Are the Jets the new Oilers circa the MacTavish era? Im not digging the legacy hirings. But Scotty deserves a shot I guess.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Like someone else said, it is not a bad decision but not the best decision. I think this decision puts more pressure on the Jets organization. If the Jets regress the fingers are quickly going to point to the coaching decision and get more fans disgruntled in the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad