Confirmed with Link: Scott Arniel named Winnipeg Jets head coach

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I was lukewarm on Bowness and he turned out to be a great pick. There is a good to fair chance that Chevy and Co. know more about hockey than I do so I am going to give this a chance. I suspect the players are good with with this as well.

Also, Arniel just seems like a good dude and I tend to root for those guys. Good luck, Scott, now take us to the promised land

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
You realize how silly you sound when you laugh at an example based on how long ago it happened, then immediately use an example that happened at relatively the same time?

No one in Columbus remembers Scott let alone laughing about this hiring. Your posts are comical though.
Is this Scotty Arniel?! I could careless what you think of my posts

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a good post and brings a nice counter perspective to the discussion. But I will add if it is really Arniel's big opportunity he needs to be given the freedom to select his own assistant couching staff. I'm hoping to hear of some current assistant coach firings next week, or for God's sakes at least Lauer's firing.

I Agee 100%. Put him in a spot to succeed by giving him control of who works for him. It isn't unheard of for a GM to have a choice for one of the assistants but Arniel should have control of the others.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So, gonna try to be positive here.

- Arniel didn’t really get a fair shake in Columbus
- He’s been successful at pretty much every stop as an AHL head coach, assistant head coach, and associate head coach
- The Jets played well when he covered for Bones
- We need to hire a new special teams guy now almost by default
- I get to say I told you so to the folks who were calling me a negative nut job for suspecting True North would just hand the job to Arniel

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would have been surprised if they hired anyone else -
Not sure he is the guy that takes them to the next level - and if I was to be honest, I really don't think he is.
But he's a safe bet for the Jets - he's part of the family and they won't need to worry about a coach that rocks the boat too much.

More than anything, it tells me the org is happy (or content) with how things are right now.

I guess it depends on if the org views the team closer to the 110 point team or the playoff no-show team. If it's the former then bringing Arniel makes sense.

The Calder Cup Final was in 2008....how many NHLers are still in the league form 2008? Lol

He's got a losing record as a head coach in the NHL. His assistant coach accolades don't take away from the fact he has been an awful head coach.

There is a reason CBJ fans are laughing at us.

So did Sullivan and he stepped in and won back to back cups with Pittsburgh.

So does Maurice and he's still coaching in the playoffs.

So did Tochett and he juat won the Adam's.

You coach crap teams, you will have a crap record.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No axe to grind here. Not like Arniel cut him when he was a bad dmen at the end of his career or anything. I take what he says here with a grain of salt.
When will you reveal the meaning behind your beaver avatar? After we win the Cup?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Funny hearing guys say we should take nelson for new blood with his coaching career as a thrasher, Eakins oilers disaster and the bowness assistant...

Then also talking about how we were stupid to write off tocchet because of coyote years...

Now the sky is falling because we hire Arniel

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bowness more or less said it on SN….Arniel is there to carry on the work that Bones started. So expect the same.

I would almost guarantee it, that when Arniel was hired with Bones two years ago he was told the HC job was his when Bowness retired.

Outside of special teams is it really all that bad to carry on most of what was done the past few years?

The room is good, and we javelin made big strides defensively.

He needs to bring in the right coach for special teams and maybe tweak some things on the breakout and in the ozone but the foundation is there.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Outside of special teams is it really all that bad to carry on most of what was done the past few years?

The room is good, and we javelin made big strides defensively.

He needs to bring in the right coach for special teams and maybe tweak some things on the breakout and in the ozone but the foundation is there.
I agree and that’s why I’m waiting to see what we do with the other coaches. If we keep the entire coaching staff as is, I would have concern with that. But , yes, the foundation of what we have done over the last 2 years is good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow. Has Mike Commodore always been an asshole?

Yeah it's pretty uncalled for.

I agree and that’s why I’m waiting to see what we do with the other coaches. If we keep the entire coaching staff as is, I would have concern with that. But , yes, the foundation of what we have done over the last 2 years is good.

Well there is going to be atleast one new coach. Hopefully that individual is a special teams guru.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sometimes people just don’t get along for whatever reasons , and because we weren’t there, we don’t know… but in regards to Mike Commodore’s tweet… there is definitely some bad blood there. From an interview he gave once…

See Columbus comments..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not thrilled with this decision but Arniel has as good a chance of succeeding as any other coach they might hire.

TML keep hiring the greatest coach in the world and then firing him in a couple of years to hire the next GOAT. Truth is that no one knows until the results are in.

I'll wait and see how he does.

Who the hell is Mike Commodore?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad