Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors and Discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know where he gets the idea we're in the market for a top-6 winger. I mean, someone who's established and a good mentor would definitely be welcome, but that's not the same thing as "just another top-6 winger". Sort of a all-squares-are-rectangles-not-all-rectangles-are-squares thing.

IDK how Ehlers would fit into that. He's awesome and interesting, but I dunno if he covers the mentorship bit. If he does, get him YESTERDAY.
Likely going off the play they are losing one in Laine?

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Likely going off the play they are losing one in Laine?
Theoretically, if we get Ehlers, Laine might change his mind. Unless in that case we would have a too much wings in the top 9.

Gaudreau, Laine, Ehlers, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Johnson, Jenner/Voronkov, maybe Nylander. Brindley in Cleveland (@Cowumbus 😼) because Winnipeg would probably prefer d-man as a compensation.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I mean, yeah, sure, but to be bluntly honest I was thinking of Laine as "if he slots in he's a bonus top line guy" rather than a critical hole to be patched.

I had pretty much written him off when he put his condo up for sale. If he came back and played well then that would be great.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I mean, yeah, sure, but to be bluntly honest I was thinking of Laine as "if he slots in he's a bonus top line guy" rather than a critical hole to be patched.
Oh, I agree. Just thinking that was likely the angle this was written from. Clearly we have nothing to cover for the loss of Laine so that's a critical need.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I'd love to see Ehlers in Columbus' top 6 next year. If it's sensitive to trade Laine for him, maybe a base around Provorov and/or Boqvist can be arranged?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I'd love to see Ehlers in Columbus' top 6 next year. If it's sensitive to trade Laine for him, maybe a base around Provorov and/or Boqvist can be arranged?
I’d be surprised if Winnipeg wasn’t on his 10 team no trade list and I’d also be surprised if that’s a team he would waive.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I’d be surprised if Winnipeg wasn’t on his 10 team no trade list and I’d also be surprised if that’s a team he would waive.
I meant sensitive as in if Laine, for instance, would only want to be traded to Winnipeg if Ehlers is still there or if he doesn't want to go back there. So I meant Provorov + Boqvist as a base for Ehlers and that Columbus trade Laine somewhere else. Nevertheless, as @squashmaple said, you never know.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It doesn't have to be. A player can only be on the untrade list of teams where he expects to be traded. And Winnipeg certainly won't be taking him. Besides, Ehlers' arrival could change his plans to leave the team.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
It doesn't have to be. A player can only be on the untrade list of teams where he expects to be traded. And Winnipeg certainly won't be taking him. Besides, Ehlers' arrival could change his plans to leave the team.
No, I think the ship has sailed, probably for both Laine and the Jackets…..As much as I hate seeing go as there’s an excitement created with him on the ice, I want him to regain his mental health which is more likely to happen elsewhere.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Here are a list of possible moves this offseason

1. Trade/buyout - Elvis. I feel like this ship has sailed and from speculation that the players don’t regard him as person they want to go into battle with.
2. Possible trade Laine? - Let Waddell talk to Laine first to see if he can salvage the relationship. If not get this done with a hockey trade for Tkachuk (wish), Necas - not picks or middling prospects.
3. Shore up the defense with a veteran and trade Bean & Boqvist?
4. Make adjustments to at least the Assistant Coaches & Strength.
5. Find a veteran center for Johnny G to get him going.
6. Trade or find veteran goalie 1a/1b. Keep Jet in AHL at least 1 more season.
7. Keep DJ, KJ and DM in the AHL

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

1. Trade/buyout - Elvis. I feel like this ship has sailed and from speculation that the players don’t regard him as person they want to go into battle with.
2. Possible trade Laine? - Let Waddell talk to Laine first to see if he can salvage the relationship. If not get this done with a hockey trade for Tkachuk (wish), Necas - not picks or middling prospects.
We can only dream.

I'm actually getting anxious thinking about what could happen this off-season. It could be really good, really bad or a mixed bag. Or even possibly anticlimactic.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Waddell has said could be as many as 6 new faces on the NHL roster. At first I thought... that's quite a lot. He also seems focused on the defense and indicated a need for experience to guide the youth... So, thinking about all that, it may seem like a lot but could also be very realistic and doable. On D... swap out Bean and Provorov to start and work to build the left side. Could be Mateychuk and a vet. That's two. They need another right D. Could move Boqvist, or, he is the 7th and another Vet added...or Jiricek is a possibility I guess. That would be 3. I still find it hard to think Elvis sticks around... that's 4. Veteran backup to Tarasov.

Replace Laine and maybe KJ starts in Cleveland... that would be 6 with minimal effort or disruption to the prospect pool, depending on the Veteran additions. You could still continue to evaluate and move assets to improve the team but that's the possible "dead wood" that I think could be moved with fair ease.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
ding ding ding
We haven’t had an “anticlimactic” offseason in quite some time.

2023: Babcock, Provorov, Severson
2022: Gaudreau
2021: Seth Jones, Torts, and Larsen
2020: PLD drama
2019: Nyquist signing, Panarin, Bob leaving
2018: panarin and Bob state their intentions to leave.
2017: acquire Panarin

Can keep going with the Saad trade, and all that stuff.

So yeah, arguably the last “anticlimactic” offseason we had was in 2018.

We have a new GM who wants to put his imprint on the team and has said we need more veterans here, and wants to cut our goals against down.

It’s going to be active. Hell we already have a high profile trade request.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but Kent Johnson is an RFA. And he's certainly not getting a contract extension due to playing even part of the season in the AHL. I also doubt Jiříček would want to go back there. In this case he could ask for a trade.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don't mean to be obnoxious, but Kent Johnson is an RFA. And he's certainly not getting a contract extension due to playing even part of the season in the AHL. I also doubt Jiříček would want to go back there. In this case he could ask for a trade.
If they are not ready then letting them play 8-10 minutes a night just because they think they are ready for the NHL is the wrong mentality. That is part of the reason we don’t win consistently, rushing guys.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If they are not ready then letting them play 8-10 minutes a night just because they think they are ready for the NHL is the wrong mentality. That is part of the reason we don’t win consistently, rushing guys.
Staff made mistake Johnson didn't play in the AHL, similar like Sillinger. But now it is not possible. True, Sillinger doesn't need it. Johnson yes.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Staff made mistake Johnson didn't play in the AHL, similar like Sillinger. But now it is not possible. True, Sillinger doesn't need it. Johnson yes.
The next argument coming from these players and agents will be they deserve top 6 minutes or top d minutes, when they haven’t earned it or learned to play the right way.

Sorry but ice time and being in the NHL should be earned.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Pencilling players in either league is kind of pointless. 1 offseason and another year of growth can change everything. Hell maybe if the coach stops hating offense or they get an actual good one and half the team can start playing to their strengths

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The next argument coming from these players and agents will be they deserve top 6 minutes or top d minutes, when they haven’t earned it or learned to play the right way.

Sorry but ice time and being in the NHL should be earned.
And that brings us to the reason why Kent played so little. He didn't deserve the spot. Vincent was a junior coach for a long time, he knows when a player is ready and when he's not. Not just physically, but mentally.

We'll see how it goes in the future.

Reactions: Youngguns80

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don't mean to be obnoxious, but Kent Johnson is an RFA. And he's certainly not getting a contract extension due to playing even part of the season in the AHL.
kent is a 10.2(c) RFA so he's not arbitration or offer-sheet eligible. that's a byproduct of the jackets burning his first year with a handful of games in his D+1 year.

imo it's very possible that he gets a modest raise on a one year deal that would basically act as a third year of his ELC. but i could also see them doing something like 2 years x $2.5m – a short, low-aav bridge.
I also doubt Jiříček would want to go back there. In this case he could ask for a trade.
this board's consensus assumption that jiricek should go back to the AHL no matter what is really interesting to me. players at his age + talent level make huge jumps over the offseason all the time.

he has technical and physical things to work on (skating + strength) – having 3 months to train those things before camp even opens should lend itself well to him taking a big leap. personally, i'd be surprised if he wasn't on the opening-night roster, even if he could benefit from having more AHL game action.

Reactions: LJ7 and Aaaarrgghh

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So how close are they on a new contract? Babaev tells THN Columbus, "We're not close, but we're not super far either. Each other's positions are clear. I don’t know yet how quickly we can get closer." He also says that he wants Chinakhov to "calmly prepare for the season, with a signed contract," and would rather not delay getting this deal done.

Reactions: LJ7 and MissADD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad