Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm ok with calling this a retool because this time around there is young talent now, that was lacking during the first "retool" because of the talent was called up reasons and this team now likes cohesion. The quick changing of coaches didn't help building a cohesive team, but I think we have tradable pieces to build a cohesive team if that's the route Waddell choose to go.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I mean the next season. Although I prefer so that Johnson would learn to play center in the AHL, Also he needs to get strength. But it will not be.
I was disappointed last year when KJ was sent to Cleveland to play center - which he did and played well - but returned to Columbus to never be slotted there. Maybe he wasn’t ready but they should have given him an extended opportunity at center IMO. But it was pretty clear Vince t had no confidence in KJ.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I was disappointed last year when KJ was sent to Cleveland to play center - which he did and played well - but returned to Columbus to never be slotted there. Maybe he wasn’t ready but they should have given him an extended opportunity at center IMO. But it was pretty clear Vince t had no confidence in KJ.
It’s not like KJ gave him much reason at the NHL level to be confident.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Boone is untouchable, Fantilli is better, Voronkov and Sillinger have other roles, Kuraly is a 4th line player. Also Kent had lack of strength. I think he had to play in the AHL more. Of course I can be wrong.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
should have even more room ($) for Lindholm now if Laine is getting moved

Fits the need for center and a vet

Reactions: Toe Pick

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So if Laine is traded and the return is not great or only draft picks, do we see Columbus signing a top 6 winger UFA? Marchessault? Guentzel? Teräväinen? Bertuzzi? Kane? Arvidsson?

I'd love to see Marchessault return, personally. Although he is a small winger, which Columbus certainly doesn't have a shortage of, he would be an excellent small winger and a leader.

Last edited:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So if Laine is traded and the return is not great or picks, do we see Columbus signing a top 6 winger UFA? Marchessault? Guentzel? Teräväinen? Bertuzzi? Kane? Arvidsson?

I'd love to see Marchessault return, personally. Although he is a small winger, which Columbus certainly doesn't have a shortage of, he would be an excellent small winger and a leader.
I'll add Reinhart to the list. Also can try him at C but I believe Visqi said he's been having his success on the RW the last couple of years. Also Lindholm a possibility? Move Fantilli to the wing for now. Or if Waddell wants fix the defense, use the money saved towards Tanev? Trade for Hnorek if Canucks can't come to terms. No idea if he's the type Waddell thinks we need though.

Last edited:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
So if Laine is traded and the return is not great or only draft picks, do we see Columbus signing a top 6 winger UFA? Marchessault? Guentzel? Teräväinen? Bertuzzi? Kane? Arvidsson?

I really do see us potentially in the hunt for Necas. Now in my mind he is a winger but if he gets signed here he could also do some 1/2C duties as Fantilli/(Lindstrom) develops. Honestly I don't like Laine is going to Carolina but I can see a 3 way trade to where Waddle makes his mark and gets his protege his first big score.

I'll add Reinhart to the list. Also can try him at C but I believe Visqi said he's been having his success on the RW the last couple of years. Also Lindholm a possibility? Move Fantilli to the wing for now. Or if Waddell wants fix the defense, use the money saved towards Tanev? Trade for Hnorek if Canucks can't come to terms. No idea if he's the type Waddell thinks we need though.
I think Waddle's first move is to fix the defense. I really see 2 new bodies coming in the next few weeks while Bean/Boqvist gets shifted out. You fix this defense you fix a significant problem on this team.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Trade Laine for picks / prospects. Offer Stamkos 3 x $8 million.

Experienced vet. Power play should improve. Don’t sign some other wing to a really long contract that will look really bad when we are ready to compete for Cups. Don’t give up assets for a wing. Stamkos could also help young centers learn about the game.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I think Waddle's first move is to fix the defense. I really see 2 new bodies coming in the next few weeks while Bean/Boqvist gets shifted out. You fix this defense you fix a significant problem on this team.

Is Boqvist a problem to fix though? If he isn't going to be used in PP1 then it's best to trade him because we're not using him to his best abilities.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is Boqvist a problem to fix though? If he isn't going to be used in PP1 then it's best to trade him because we're not using him to his best abilities.
That's exactly the problem to be fixed, right? Whether we trust/intend to use him in such a way and whether we think he has enough value in that useage to pay him and roster him?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I don't know where he gets the idea we're in the market for a top-6 winger. I mean, someone who's established and a good mentor would definitely be welcome, but that's not the same thing as "just another top-6 winger". Sort of a all-squares-are-rectangles-not-all-rectangles-are-squares thing.

IDK how Ehlers would fit into that. He's awesome and interesting, but I dunno if he covers the mentorship bit. If he does, get him YESTERDAY.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I don't see Reinhart leaving Florida. And if he does, it's going to be for a monster of a contract that I don't think that Columbus should get into. My guess would be that he signs an 8×$9.5M contract there. On the open market? He'll probably exceed $10.5M.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and VT

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Totally on board with this.

He'd improve the top 6 dramatically. Gaudreau and/or Fantilli would benefit greatly.

He's coming off of a $5 million/year deal. Probably wouldn't want to go any higher than this or any longer than 4 years as he's 33 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ehlers for Laine. Straight up. :sarcasm:

They're good friends. So we'd have to be careful how we notify them that they're traded for each other.

I don't know where he gets the idea we're in the market for a top-6 winger. I mean, someone who's established and a good mentor would definitely be welcome, but that's not the same thing as "just another top-6 winger". Sort of a all-squares-are-rectangles-not-all-rectangles-are-squares thing.

IDK how Ehlers would fit into that. He's awesome and interesting, but I dunno if he covers the mentorship bit. If he does, get him YESTERDAY.

Ehlers fits the box called "one of our best players". That's why you acquire him.

It obviously works better for us if he's acquired for another winger. I toyed with KJ for Ehlers in one example.

Reactions: domi28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad