SCF | VI | "They Said 'I'll Bet They'll Never Make It', But Just Look At Us Holding On" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 5.21.24 | 6:00PM | SN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The only reason they made it out of round one last year and went on a tear was because of Bob, the only reason the won game one of this series was because of Bob and the only reason they lost game 5 was Bob let in 2 softies, serious that first McDavid goal just can't go in, Bob looked better in the third but if he falters again it's off to game 7.
Well yeah... of course Bobrovsky is crucial, just like Skinner is for Edmonton. But I noticed Oilers had more open space in games 4 and 5 than they had in games 2 and 3. Is it fatigue? Game plan? Lucky bounces? Not sure, but it's not all on Bobrovsky.
Tough to rely on a system to win a Cup. EDM found something in their system they can beat and they are. This isn't fatigue, this is the Oilers making adjustments. So, far Maurice has fallen back to who he is and it stressing playing their system better. To him, that is the answer.

There are coaches that say "this is who we are, beat us" and everything relies on playing the system better, winning one on one battles or a G standing on his head. IMO, that is who Maurice is. He is not making adjustments, he may tweak a line, but he and the Panthers are who they are. They will win or lose with it. Nothing wrong with it, John Cooper is like that too. He plays his system, period.

Knoblauch strikes me more of a tactician and looks for areas to exploit and will make changes to do that. They found something in the Panther's system and they are abusing it. If the Panthers stand pat, be prepared for a replay of the last game.
The question is what's that "Something" Edmonton found. Personally, I didn't see obvious adjustments in the Oilers' game, but I could be wrong. What I did see were Oilers turning small mistakes into big opportunities. My first thought was speed was the difference, but I'm happy to dig deeper.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Is there going to be a pre game concert again?

Yeah.....The Beaches and Loud Luxury. Whoever they are.

Musta spent the bulk of the budget with the first one....

I know people dump on them.....so in the words of Adam Sandler.... "well like 'em so back off!!" LOL But Nickleback woulda got things gong....as long as they didn't play Burn it to the Ground. ;)

Alberta boys (my accountant is Chad's cousin and original drummer).
McDavid's favourite band.
Coulda jacked things up!

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022

Attachments

• 1718987942610.png
    1718987942610.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1718988019480.png
    1718988019480.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 1

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Why is Florida icing that 4th line when they don't have last change?
Because it's much better than Lorentz/Stenlund/Okposo. Much faster and gritter. Maurice was trying to avoid playing them as they play on the edge. Feels he has to now.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Here are my observations.

1 - They seem to have found the passing lanes in the forecheck
2 - Changed the way they react to the forecheck. They are relying on the D more, maybe Nurse being back is helping. He does bring some size and physical play.
3 - Bouchard is not being asked to go up ice as quick.
4 - FLA is not playing the same type of tight forecheck they did early on. They are going for big initial hits and missing a lot. This seems to be letting the 1st player get that first pass off and not be trapped on the boards
5 - I don't know if it is a physical thing on the FLA D or a physical mismatch on EDM side, but they seem to be abusing the right side up the Boards. That outlet pass is getting beyond the red line and finding EDM player breaking. Happened more than once in last 2 games.

That is what it LOOKS like to me, I may be dead-ass wrong! But, it is the Stanley Cup finals, what life do I have besides talk this shit.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Everybody's throwing it onto Bob's shoulders, but it's really the Panthers' backcheck that's lost steam. Games 2 and 3 their skaters were relentless with almost perfect coverage. Oilers could barely get a clean shot that wasn't blocked by a body or deflected by a stick. Last two games the Panthers have been slower and have allowed plenty of holes for Edmonton to pounce on.

If it's a result of physical fatigue, Edmonton wins. Both teams are tired, but Oilers are naturally faster and haven't slowed down yet. If they have the same space to set up they'll bury a few, no matter how good Bobrovsky is. On the other hand, if Panthers had a mental letdown, this would be the game they recover their mojo.
Part of it also is maybe the Oilers quickened their pace a little, using their speed, and battling a little harder. They are also preventing front net tips-ins by being harder on the net front presence.

Feels like adjustments to me.

That being said the 2nd 1/2 of game 5, Florida owned them, with that relentless forecheck of theirs.

I expect a good game, which honestly can go either way at this point!

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
If Oilers sit back like they did in the 3rd of game 5 then I see a Florida win tonight

Oilers need to keep the pressure and momentum

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Yeah.....The Beaches and Loud Luxury. Whoever they are.

Musta spent the bulk of the budget with the first one....

I know people dump on them.....so in the words of Adam Sandler.... "well like 'em so back off!!" LOL But Nickleback woulda got things gong....as long as they didn't play Burn it to the Ground. ;)

Alberta boys (my accountant is Chad's cousin and original drummer).
McDavid's favourite band.
Coulda jacked things up!
It's not budget. It's the fact that they had only a couple of days to make it happen. I believe the two performers were already in town for the Beaumont Music Festival. It's summer tour season. Hard to find good acts to come in on short notice.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Prediction for the alumni game.

Oilers 5: Smyth x2, Pisani, Marchant, Torres
Panthers 3: Bure, Mellanby, Jovanovski

Wait, they don't do alumni games for the two finalists? Aw, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad