SCF | VI | "They Said 'I'll Bet They'll Never Make It', But Just Look At Us Holding On" | Oilers vs. Panthers | 5.21.24 | 6:00PM | SN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Don't see the Cats winning it up in Edmonton. All the pressure is on them right now which benefits the Oilers. Bob needs to get his shit together, he's looked really shaky the last couple of games.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Rogers Place is going to be absof***inglutely INSANE tonight.

No matter what....last game of the year at home in what is ultimately one of the best of circumstances.

Wish there was better vid of this....always loved the Black Eyes Peas intro for the Oil.....
PUMP IT!!
LOUDER!!!!
PUMP IT!!!!

Whats this? Some weird summer tournament?

As of yesterday......yes ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Everybody's throwing it onto Bob's shoulders, but it's really the Panthers' backcheck that's lost steam. Games 2 and 3 their skaters were relentless with almost perfect coverage. Oilers could barely get a clean shot that wasn't blocked by a body or deflected by a stick. Last two games the Panthers have been slower and have allowed plenty of holes for Edmonton to pounce on.

If it's a result of physical fatigue, Edmonton wins. Both teams are tired, but Oilers are naturally faster and haven't slowed down yet. If they have the same space to set up they'll bury a few, no matter how good Bobrovsky is. On the other hand, if Panthers had a mental letdown, this would be the game they recover their mojo.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Everybody's throwing it onto Bob's shoulders, but it's really the Panthers' backcheck that's lost steam. Games 2 and 3 their skaters were relentless with almost perfect coverage. Oilers could barely get a clean shot that wasn't blocked by a body or deflected by a stick. Last two games the Panthers have been slower and have allowed plenty of holes for Edmonton to pounce on.

If it's a result of physical fatigue, Edmonton wins. Both teams are tired, but Oilers are naturally faster and haven't slowed down yet. If they have the same space to set up they'll bury a few, no matter how good Bobrovsky is. On the other hand, if Panthers had a mental letdown, this would be the game they recover their mojo.

I don't necessarily see the same. Panthers still hard forecheck but the Oilers have been breaking it out better and counter attacking. When the Oilers make a mistake the puck is hemmed in their zone for a minute. I do think the Panthers can be TOO aggressive sometimes and this leads to odd man rushes the other direction... in game 1... Bob stopped those (was it 3 or 4 breakaways and odd man rushes in that game?). That wasn't the case in the games 4 and 5.

It's all about Bob. He needs to stop shots on breakaways and 2 on 1s.

Reactions: Lshap

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
I haven’t ever been this excited to watch a game not only for the game but for the environment as I am tonight. That building is going to be out of control

Reactions: snag and PuckG

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

I made the obvwervation after Dallas.. teams look tired by game 5 when they play us. I can't really explaining it becuase we are not that physical. But most our guys (Perry and Kane aside) can wheel and skate. Getting away from our scorers.. guys like McLeod, Hollo, Foeg, Brown and Janmark can all move really well. It seems to wear down our opponents.

At least to my eye. Vancouver and Dallas both looked gassed at the end.

Not saying Florida looks gassed mind you but this is a trend I've seen using everyone's fav - the eye test.lol

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Will be able to tell in the first 5 mins how this game will go

If the Panthers look nervous like they did at the start of games 4 and 5 it’s over for them

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Having two days in between games should mitigate at least some of that fatigue factor for both sides.

Side note: these threads are nice and conducive hockey talk when the trolls from our previous rounds are absent.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Having two days in between games should mitigate at least some of that fatigue factor for both sides.

Side note: these threads are nice and conducive hockey talk when the trolls from our previous rounds are absent.
For who?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I made the obvwervation after Dallas.. teams look tired by game 5 when they play us. I can't really explaining it becuase we are not that physical. But most our guys (Perry and Kane aside) can wheel and skate. Getting away from our scorers.. guys like McLeod, Hollo, Foeg, Brown and Janmark can all move really well. It seems to wear down our opponents.

At least to my eye. Vancouver and Dallas both looked gassed at the end.

Not saying Florida looks gassed mind you but this is a trend I've seen using everyone's fav - the eye test.lol

Dallas did not look gassed in game 6.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Both teams I would imagine. The season is long and taxing, but physiologically, two days between games should mitigate a lot of the fatigue factor - although the travelling back and forth may have it's own impact.

Reactions: Czechboy

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada

The only reason they made it out of round one last year and went on a tear was because of Bob, the only reason the won game one of this series was because of Bob and the only reason they lost game 5 was Bob let in 2 softies, serious that first McDavid goal just can't go in, Bob looked better in the third but if he falters again it's off to game 7.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
The only reason they made it out of round one last year and went on a tear was because of Bob, the only reason the won game one of this series was because of Bob and the only reason they lost game 5 was Bob let in 2 softies, serious that first McDavid goal just can't go in, Bob looked better in the third but if he falters again it's off to game 7.
You gotta love FLA fan. The only reason FLA is losing is because Bob

Tough to rely on a system to win a Cup. EDM found something in their system they can beat and they are. This isn't fatigue, this is the Oilers making adjustments. So, far Maurice has fallen back to who he is and it stressing playing their system better. To him, that is the answer.

There are coaches that say "this is who we are, beat us" and everything relies on playing the system better, winning one on one battles or a G standing on his head. IMO, that is who Maurice is. He is not making adjustments, he may tweak a line, but he and the Panthers are who they are. They will win or lose with it. Nothing wrong with it, John Cooper is like that too. He plays his system, period.

Knoblauch strikes me more of a tactician and looks for areas to exploit and will make changes to do that. They found something in the Panther's system and they are abusing it. If the Panthers stand pat, be prepared for a replay of the last game.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
You gotta love FLA fan. The only reason FLA is losing is because Bob

Tough to rely on a system to win a Cup. EDM found something in their system they can beat and they are. This isn't fatigue, this is the Oilers making adjustments. So, far Maurice has fallen back to who he is and it stressing playing their system better. To him, that is the answer.

There are coaches that say "this is who we are, beat us" and everything relies on playing the system better, winning one on one battles or a G standing on his head. IMO, that is who Maurice is. He is not making adjustments, he may tweak a line, but he and the Panthers are who they are. They will win or lose with it. Nothing wrong with it, John Cooper is like that too. He plays his system, period.

Knoblauch strikes me more of a tactician and looks for areas to exploit and will make changes to do that. They found something in the Panther's system and they are abusing it. If the Panthers stand pat, be prepared for a replay of the last game.

Just wanted to say great observation and post about the two coaches.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Rogers Place is going to be absof***inglutely INSANE tonight.

No matter what....last game of the year at home in what is ultimately one of the best of circumstances.

Wish there was better vid of this....always loved the Black Eyes Peas intro for the Oil.....
PUMP IT!!
LOUDER!!!!
PUMP IT!!!!

As of yesterday......yes ;)

I was there and watched this vid dozens of times. Still gives be goosebumps every single time.

Only better game was the Oilers winning their first Cup.

Reactions: snag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad