GDT: SCF | II | "Brick Breaker" | Oilers @ Panthers | 6.10.24 | 6:00PM | SN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
My dad passed away Saturday night and I've been feeling numb since then.

I'd been here and glad/trying to be a help to him in any way I could. he had been unwell and declining, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but it was incredibly tough to see what I had to see even though I'm so glad I was here when it happened.

I have memories of a child watching Oilers games with him and the cup win in 1990. His enthusiasm is what made me a fan. He had talked to my brothers about hoping to be alive to see the Oilers win another before he died.

He was a huge fan and it was a thing that brought us together when I felt like we sometimes otherwise didn't have much in common.

So while hockey right now to me feels less important than it did a few days ago, I will welcome the distraction and hope this team comes out swinging.

I may or may not be here to shitpost watchalong tonight, but just wanted to say GO OILERS.

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father and we could have a whole thread about that and our connections with hockey through our fathers and how we grew up watching together. your story in that sense is the story most of us had. My dad missed out on seeing either the Oilers or his beloved Germany winning WC after 1990. Oddly Oilers last won in 90 and Germany last won in 90 prior to my dad passing and not getting a chance to see the glory of WC 2014 that I watched feeling like he was sitting beside me. It will feel like it to you forever. You'll look over once in awhile thinking your dad is actually there. Decade later this still happens to me.
It'll probably happen again during this SC final at some point. I had that glance over once in game 1.

Go Oilers Dads!. We remember.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If we are going Nurse-Desharnais I am worried

That pairing doesn't have a good history. I'm not sure trading Ceci's better mobility for Desharnais' size and physicality is a good swap

But I will be hopeful about it.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I think that there might be some benefit of Desharnais being able to cut pucks off around the boards better than Ceci. Only problem is he needs his D partner to move it, which Nurse can't do with a pass.

In general the defense needs to think feet first on breakouts. Out of all factors that contribute to the Oilers playing well and not, this is the #1 thing that contributes to it IMO. When D feet are moving the passing distance is shorter, the opposition doesn't have time to set up in the neutral zone, turnover and icing risk diminishes. Also eliminates gaps between forward and defense if the breakout gets botched up ice. Of everyone, this is ESPECIALLY important with Nurse due to how atrocious his passing is, especially when he has still feet. For him, he almost shouldn't be allowed to pass until he's skated it over the blue line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If we are going Nurse-Desharnais I am worried

That pairing doesn't have a good history. I'm not sure trading Ceci's better mobility for Desharnais' size and physicality is a good swap

But I will be hopeful about it.
But this forgets that Nurse is pretty mobile, a very good skater and at times is better when he has an adequate stay at home D with him. Desharnais will at least protect puck better than Ceci and any Ceci mobility hasn't been effectively used anyway. Its a major plus having coach sit Ceci for at least a reset if not more. VD will be hungry, physical, and will be at his best. I'm not a big fan of VD as people know but he will be pushing barn doors down to be in a SC final. He's a moment guy and doesn't get rattled. He'll bring energy, physicality, and better puck protection than Ceci. Nurse will be the out player on the pairing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I'd been here and glad/trying to be a help to him in any way I could. he had been unwell and declining, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but it was incredibly tough to see what I had to see even though I'm so glad I was here when it happened.

I have memories of a child watching Oilers games with him and the cup win in 1990. His enthusiasm is what made me a fan. He had talked to my brothers about hoping to be alive to see the Oilers win another before he died.

He was a huge fan and it was a thing that brought us together when I felt like we sometimes otherwise didn't have much in common.

So while hockey right now to me feels less important than it did a few days ago, I will welcome the distraction and hope this team comes out swinging.

I may or may not be here to shitpost watchalong tonight, but just wanted to say GO OILERS.

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.
I'm really sorry for you loss.

But this forgets that Nurse is pretty mobile, a very good skater and at times is better when he has an adequate stay at home D with him. Desharnais will at least protect puck better than Ceci and any Ceci mobility hasn't been effectively used anyway. Its a major plus having coach sit Ceci for at least a reset if not more. VD will be hungry, physical, and will be at his best. I'm not a big fan of VD as people know but he will be pushing barn doors down to be in a SC final. He's a moment guy and doesn't get rattled. He'll bring energy, physicality, and better puck protection than Ceci. Nurse will be the out player on the pairing.
Im also not the biggest Desharnais fan but the one benefit with him playing with Nurse, is often Ceci will jump up too and you have 2 d out of position. Desharnais is too slow to even really attempt that so there will always be a d back.

I think you keep Perry for the gamesmanship but tbh I'd rather them just try a young player in his spot. Lavoie or Bourgault.
I mean, Lavoie maybe. Bourgault isn't even a good AHL player, putting him into the NHL for the finals would be a horrid decision.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm really sorry for you loss.

Im also not the biggest Desharnais fan but the one benefit with him playing with Nurse, is often Ceci will jump up too and you have 2 d out of position. Desharnais is too slow to even really attempt that so there will always be a d back.
I read it like this and so lol. Its what I think sometimes though is VD is still there on reversal giveaways when the Oilers throw the puck away because he's too slow moving up. So he's still in stayback position. heh

Reactions: CycloneSweep

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I'd reverse Henrique and McLeod along with Vinny and Broberg.

Once again I'm raising an eyebrow at Knob's massive pair of balls when it comes to roster moves. I thought a safe move would be to reverse Kulak and Nurse and have Kulak-Ceci shoulder second pairing minutes while Nurse-Broberg got acclimated in a 3rd pairing role.

Though I'd still do that, as IMHO Kulak-Vinny is a better pairing than Kulak-Ceci, and they'd give you maximum insolation for Nurse-Broberg.

As for McLeod/Henrique. I don't mind Henrique with Drai, but McLeod just can't generate offence at centre. Meanwhile McLeod's one elite talent fits well with Drai.

Also while Perry hasn't been good, I'd like to see him with a linemate that actually trys to slow the pace down.

I think Henrique will be a lot better at getting traffic in front than McLeod, and this is key to solve Bobrovsky. We need to stop this perimeter possession offense and get chances in the dirty areas if we’re going to solve Bobrovsky.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I read it like this and so lol. Its what I think sometimes though is VD is still there on reversal giveaways when the Oilers throw the puck away because he's too slow moving up. So he's still in stayback position. heh
He is accidentally in the position to make a good defensive play a lot lol

I think Henrique will be a lot better at getting traffic in front than McLeod, and this is key to solve Bobrovsky. We need to stop this perimeter possession offense and get chances in the dirty areas if we’re going to solve Bobrovsky.
Except Bobrovsky has stopped most dirty area goals. He is mostly beat by snipes. That said we need traffic in front of the net just to help screen him. I think Bouchard and Drai will be our important guys scoring wise this series.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.
Sorry to hear this. Hope the Oilers can give you a win.

He is accidentally in the position to make a good defensive play a lot lol

Except Bobrovsky has stopped most dirty area goals. He is mostly beat by snipes. That said we need traffic in front of the net just to help screen him. I think Bouchard and Drai will be our important guys scoring wise this series.
He left a massive amount of rebounds last game with nobody near to cash

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry to hear this. Hope the Oilers can give you a win.

He left a massive amount of rebounds last game with nobody near to cash
He did, but look at where he has allowed goals during the playoffs. Its not low shot deflections. Its high shots and the very rare deflection. He has very good lateral movement and near unbeatable for low shots.

Reactions: foshizzle

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.
Ugh sorry to hear man. Prayers your way! Hope oilers can get a win for you!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully the Oilers can bring the cup home for you and your dad.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Now and forever, man.

Do this thing.

Hey man, I know this doesn't matter AT ALL from a stranger on the internet, but all the best right now. I'll think of you and your dad at the beginning of the game, when I think about my own dad at the beginning of every playoff game (similar story as yours). Hope they win and its a good distraction for you, but even if they lose, be happy for what you had with your dad.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Ceci benched is good but they'll have to watch Nuse/Desharnais minutes, he looked gassed playing with Nurse before he got benched.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ceci benched is good but they'll have to watch Nuse/Desharnais minutes, he looked gassed playing with Nurse before he got benched.
Nurse played the least 5v5 minutes for D last game, Ceci second lowest so thats arguably our bottom pairing right now so if he plays 14-16 minutes a game it should be fine. Thats where he is comfortable.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father and we could have a whole thread about that and our connections with hockey through our fathers and how we grew up watching together. your story in that sense is the story most of us had. My dad missed out on seeing either the Oilers or his beloved Germany winning WC after 1990. Oddly Oilers last won in 90 and Germany last won in 90 prior to my dad passing and not getting a chance to see the glory of WC 2014 that I watched feeling like he was sitting beside me. It will feel like it to you forever. You'll look over once in awhile thinking your dad is actually there. Decade later this still happens to me.
It'll probably happen again during this SC final at some point. I had that glance over once in game 1.

Go Oilers Dads!. We remember.

Yeah I think we all have those stories with our dads, if it was our dad that introduced us to the Oilers. I almost started crying at the beginning of game 1, not because of the cup finals, but because it was the first I've not experienced with my dad (he died in 2010, so got to see the 06 run). It's tough, and I'm 14 years removed, and its still tough.

To all the dads that didn't make it to 2024!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
VD has had a lot of rest and will be fine I expect. He was banged up as well so he's had a couple weeks of recovery. VD last played May 27 so he's had two weeks to rest up and heal.

Teams and players are tired at this point so any fresh players that draw in can often be helpful.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah I think we all have those stories with our dads, if it was our dad that introduced us to the Oilers. I almost started crying at the beginning of game 1, not because of the cup finals, but because it was the first I've not experienced with my dad (he died in 2010, so got to see the 06 run). It's tough, and I'm 14 years removed, and its still tough.

To all the dads that didn't make it to 2024!
My dad died the same year. RIP to all Oilers dads that have passed.

2006 June was really tough time because my mother was dying. My dad and I didn't get to share those moments or happiness like most did. We were rotating being with mom who was a fighter and held on long as she could.

At least our dads didn't ever have to witness the Edmonton Elks.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When did he get the hernia?
Are you suggesting that he's had it his entire career? He's always been an atrocious passer.

Discussion for another thread, but this team could spend that ~$5m on far more vital areas in the summer.

Looking at the roster today, having a Henrique caliber center is something we should be used to having available.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad