SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I went Panthers in 5. Thinking this series can hinge on refs. Florida is the superior team. If they call clutching and grabbing and don’t allow ekblad to skate 10 ft off line to slow opposing forwards advantage oilers and that can keep it close. If panthers are free to play their game, create crease havoc, Tkachuk Bennett and Cousins can do their physical borderline thing, major advantage Panthers.

overall feel like the panthers style will smother Edmonton. I’d be very surprised to see Florida not win. It would be quite the colossal failure in fact, this is clearly the best team in the league. Built for playoff success.
Great assessment. Bennett being back is HUGE. Plus being there last year and coming up short gives motivation not to be underestimated. Neutralize Bouchard will go a long way

Reactions: Mathews28

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A lot hinges on how the goalies do too. Skinner will only hold up if our defense does, but also the Oilers have a knack for cracking opposition goalies no matter how good they are.

Then there is special teams, where a lot will depend on how Florida can do there. What killed Dallas is that both special teams failed. Last year Vegas neutralized the Oilers PP by scoring on their chances too, turning it into a 5 on 5 series. But, if the Oilers maintain special teams superiority it could be a nightmare if the Panthers try to play on the edge. Also, if the Panthers want to play that way, the Oilers can match it and then some
Gonna be GREAT to watch Kane and Tkachuk resume what went on 2 season ago in the Flames/Oilers playoff series

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I went Panthers in 5. Thinking this series can hinge on refs. Florida is the superior team. If they call clutching and grabbing and don’t allow ekblad to skate 10 ft off line to slow opposing forwards advantage oilers and that can keep it close. If panthers are free to play their game, create crease havoc, Tkachuk Bennett and Cousins can do their physical borderline thing, major advantage Panthers.

overall feel like the panthers style will smother Edmonton. I’d be very surprised to see Florida not win. It would be quite the colossal failure in fact, this is clearly the best team in the league. Built for playoff success.
cousins should be in the press box

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Rangers are a fast team also though, it’s not like they haven’t gone against fast, skilled teams.

McDavid is going to have to have a Hall of Fame type series to beat Florida, and he can probably do it
McDavid is destined to have a ‘91-‘92 Mario Lemieux-like Final performance, which will propel Edmonton to the Cup.

Reactions: Kerberos

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
In the next 2 weeks EDM & all of Canada are going to truly realize why NYR fans have been mind-f***ed to insanity within the past 48 hours. Florida consistently plays THAT type of game it'll drive a person delusional, you end up understanding just how hard it is to out-sly a big Cat.

Ready yourself for theatrics up & down from Florida that would only make sense if it were in Macbeth, godspeed Edmonton, Alberta.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
This time around, the Panthers are playing alot different than last year, they are playing with discipline an very responsible hockey, the PP that many are expecting are not going to happen, case and point, Panthers vs Lightning, they denied the PP opportunities to a team that lives and dies on the Powerplay.
They have been doing it in this playoffs, and I and very surprised of their bussines Luke approach to their game.
McDavid, Draitsatle and Hyman are true power fowards, they are terrifying with their North and South game, it is up Florida to slow them down as they have done it to other teams.
We all know, when McDavid takes over the game, not many can get on his way.
This is I think a good point. The Cats/Rangers series had significantly more penalties and PP's all around than the Dallas/Edmonton series. There's a lot of familiarity with Tkachuk and Bennett and being in the Battle of Alberta for years. They both know each other well, don't think anyone will be goaded into a bad penalt

Reactions: Dread Clawz

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In the next 2 weeks EDM & all of Canada are going to truly realize why NYR fans have been mind-f***ed to insanity within the past 48 hours. Florida consistently plays THAT type of game it'll drive a person delusional, you end up understanding just how hard it is to out-sly a big Cat.

Ready yourself for theatrics up & down from Florida that would only make sense if it were in Macbeth, godspeed Edmonton, Alberta.

Eh, we've played Rat-f*** in the playoffs before.

Nurse and Kane largely kept him in line that time, and we didn't have the best power play in the history of the league at the time, nor did we have a competent pk.

Bennett should be more of the same I expect.

Cousins is annoying, but looks like Okposo stole his roster spot?

IDK I'm confident that the McDavid - Hyman line will win whatever matchup is thrown at them, so as long as the Draisaitl line can tie the other matchup I think the Oilers have a decent chance because neither teams bottom 6's are particularly explosive and I would expect the special teams to slant towards Edmonton.

We'll see how it goes though. That's why they play the games, right?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
This time around, the Panthers are playing alot different than last year, they are playing with discipline an very responsible hockey, the PP that many are expecting are not going to happen, case and point, Panthers vs Lightning, they denied the PP opportunities to a team that lives and dies on the Powerplay.
They have been doing it in this playoffs, and I and very surprised of their bussines Luke approach to their game.
McDavid, Draitsatle and Hyman are true power fowards, they are terrifying with their North and South game, it is up Florida to slow them down as they have done it to other teams.
We all know, when McDavid takes over the game, not many can get on his way.

I don't expect this to be a penalty fest, just merely comparing a series where Edmonton got 11 PP's, and Florida and the Rangers got 15 and 19 in the same number of games. I think that comes with the physicality though, Dallas didn't play overly physical, just positionally sound.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers winning would be the ultimate "screw you" to Bettman who has for 30 years done everything in his power to make sure the league is dominated by its American teams.
I don't believe that for a second. After the Canadian wins in the 90s, the league pay structure coupled with awful Canadian dollar made winning near impossible, and it was an age of super teams where there wasn't a big pool of winners anyway. This wasn't engineered by the NHL as much as it was a trend in all sports. So just erase every year before the cap. The cap was engineered by the NHL and it directly helped Canadian teams. Since then there were Finals appearances by Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal and now Edmonton again. Winning a cup is low event enough that luck explains why a Canadian team hasn't won

In modern times, American teams have had an advantage because of the differences in the countries. Rich people are taxed less and there are less restrictions, which was really highlighted by COVID.

I also saw nothing that suggested some conspiracy holding Canadian teams back these playoffs.

Also, it's just silly. There is some possible benefit to rigging the outcomes but it comes at the risk of totally destroying your league if that info ever gets out.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't believe that for a second. After the Canadian wins in the 90s, the league pay structure coupled with awful Canadian dollar made winning near impossible, and it was an age of super teams where there wasn't a big pool of winners anyway. This wasn't engineered by the NHL as much as it was a trend in all sports. So just erase every year before the cap. The cap was engineered by the NHL and it directly helped Canadian teams. Since then there were Finals appearances by Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal and now Edmonton again. Winning a cup is low event enough that luck explains why a Canadian team hasn't won

In modern times, American teams have had an advantage because of the differences in the countries. Rich people are taxed less and there are less restrictions, which was really highlighted by COVID.

I also saw nothing that suggested some conspiracy holding Canadian teams back these playoffs.

Also, it's just silly. There is some possible benefit to rigging the outcomes but it comes at the risk of totally destroying your league if that info ever gets out.
The better team will win, like they always do.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Doesn't Kane have a hernia issue? Looked pretty ginger before leaving game 6
Reported knee problem over and above whatever his hernia/core issue was previously. He’s tailor made for a series like this but won’t be 100% if he even plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad