SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
I don’t need to see anything to know he isn’t better than Heiskanen, Hughes, or Doughty. The guys you mentioned are all the only elite offensive player on their team this year. The Oilers have 4, and they are often all on the ice at the same time. Good luck with that. Dallas is a better, deeper team than FLA and the Oilers completely shut them down the last 3 games of the series. I don’t think this ends well for FLA unless Skinner completely shits the bed (he might).
Your joking…right ?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The week long break is annoying. Wonder why the finals are taking this long to start this year.
Because the NHL is trying the NFL week long hype up like they do before the Super Bowl. I know it’s brutal should have been Thursday at the latest

Reactions: DS7

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Those guys aren't huge minuses because of poor PKing, so how did they outplay them otherwise? Intangibles? Because that seems like a marked disadvantage at 5v5 too.
On a power play, a player gets a minus when his team surrenders a short-handed goal, but doesn't get a plus if his team scores. On the penalty kill, he gets a plus if his team scores a short-handed goal, but doesn't get a minus if he surrenders a power-goal goal. Unless you mean a minus in a different way?

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Your joking…right ?
About what? Go post a poll and see if Forsling comes out on top vs the other D mentioned. He’s easily the worst of the group, doesn’t matter if he’s had a good year or has broken out in the last couple. Acting like I’m the one with outlandish opinion 😂. He’s gonna get beaten like a rented mule every night in this series lol. Time to wake up 😂.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
This is hilarious bullshit here. You can tell you haven’t been watching the Panthers. You have these completely meaningless memories of “when they were Flames”.
They play a heavy forechecking game, trying to pressure in all 3 zones, opposing fans see their team getting hit repeatedly and it all becomes dirty play in their sad little eyes.
I’m pretty sure Bennett isn’t scared of anyone on the Oilers, he can handle himself. Believe it or not, Tkachuk’s game has matured since coming to FL. The stir shit up/scrum after every whistle is pretty much long gone. Chukky is more valuable on the ice than sitting for 5.

Defense is all about point totals?
I agree with what you said about the Panthers’ pressure and forecheck, but Tkachuk stirring shit up (and not backing it up I might add) after every whistle is far from long gone. Well against Boston anyway lol.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're gonna learn about Gustav Forsling pretty quick. This is simple though. It will come down to who can impose their game more on the other. Florida's forecheck and suffocating play vs. the McDrai show and a couple others trying to open it up. It's a very interesting Final. Yes I know Edmonton has gotten better defensively and are great on the pk, but that's really gonna be the story.
I highly doubt that Florida's forecheck will match what the Stars did. Tbh I see Florida and Edmonton as very similar teams. Florida has the edge in net but the Oilers have more offensive power.

• Haha
Reactions: pb1300

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Because the NHL is trying the NFL week long hype up like they do before the Super Bowl. I know it’s brutal should have been Thursday at the latest
No,I don’t think that’s quite right. It is because ESPN/ABC has both the NHL and NBA final series rights. So they are managing the two properties in a way to maximize potential viewership and schedules and to keep both on the main feeds and not be aired on same nights/days.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Seems a bit feast or famine, but that's why I am asking for context on the claims being made, Oilers fans can feel free to ask about our roster if you have any questions.
Our bottom six has played very sound defensive hockey from game 6 Vancouver onward this is another big reason our Goaltending improved from that time on.

View attachment 879267
A lot of those minuses came early in the Vancouver and LA series where teams were still very much feeling each other out.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos2k7

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I highly doubt that Florida's forecheck will match what the Stars did. Tbh I see Florida and Edmonton as very similar teams. Florida has the edge in net but the Oilers have more offensive power.
I think we’re gonna see the depth of both teams get tested. The Oilers top guns will do their thing, the Panthers top guns will do their thing. The bottom-6 contributions I think will be difference

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
About what? Go post a poll and see if Forsling comes out on top vs the other D mentioned. He’s easily the worst of the group, doesn’t matter if he’s had a good year or has broken out in the last couple. Acting like I’m the one with outlandish opinion 😂. He’s gonna get beaten like a rented mule every night in this series lol. Time to wake up 😂.
I repeat your joking…right ?

I repeat your joking…right ?
There are times when a fan is out of line with wild ideas about who can beat who you my friend need to chill.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we’re gonna see the depth of both teams get tested. The Oilers top guns will do their thing, the Panthers top guns will do their thing. The bottom-6 contributions I think will be difference
A lot hinges on how the goalies do too. Skinner will only hold up if our defense does, but also the Oilers have a knack for cracking opposition goalies no matter how good they are.

Then there is special teams, where a lot will depend on how Florida can do there. What killed Dallas is that both special teams failed. Last year Vegas neutralized the Oilers PP by scoring on their chances too, turning it into a 5 on 5 series. But, if the Oilers maintain special teams superiority it could be a nightmare if the Panthers try to play on the edge. Also, if the Panthers want to play that way, the Oilers can match it and then some

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I agree with what you said about the Panthers’ pressure and forecheck, but Tkachuk stirring shit up (and not backing it up I might add) after every whistle is far from long gone. Well against Boston anyway lol.
You have Bruins tinted spectacles ;). You seem to forget that Boston started just as many scrums and after whistle shenanigans as the Panthers did.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
On a power play, a player gets a minus when his team surrenders a short-handed goal, but doesn't get a plus if his team scores. On the penalty kill, he gets a plus if his team scores a short-handed goal, but doesn't get a minus if he surrenders a power-goal goal. Unless you mean a minus in a different way?
Thanks. I know how plus minus works.

The point was, all those players are on the negative side of +/-, the fan in question was telling us how great the PK was with those same players and how they were outplaying their counterparts on the other team.

As I pointed out, even if they were great on the PK, they obviously were minuses and having issues at 5v5, hence the negative +/-.

Top 6 very good, bottom six, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
A lot hinges on how the goalies do too. Skinner will only hold up if our defense does, but also the Oilers have a knack for cracking opposition goalies no matter how good they are.

Then there is special teams, where a lot will depend on how Florida can do there. What killed Dallas is that both special teams failed. Last year Vegas neutralized the Oilers PP by scoring on their chances too, turning it into a 5 on 5 series. But, if the Oilers maintain special teams superiority it could be a nightmare if the Panthers try to play on the edge. Also, if the Panthers want to play that way, the Oilers can match it and then some
One team’s defense is much better than people are aware of.
The other team’s offense is better than most people realize.
This should be a great series.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
A lot of those minuses came early in the Vancouver and LA series where teams were still very much feeling each other out.
Again to end up a minus meant they were not outplaying their counterparts, feeling each other out or not, regardless of who the opponent was. They were giving up more goals than they were contributing, hence being large minuses, and being outplayed, at 5v5 at least. I was also told those players were not regulars per se but as you can see, most play every night:

1717462327365.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Oilers seem like a team of destiny at this point.

The team with the leagues most marketed player has an absolutely disastrous start to the season before clawing all the way back from the leagues basement at Christmas time to reach the SC final. If they win it would be a great story for the NHL.

I’ll be interested to see what tv ratings end up looking like for this final compared to the last few years. Oilers seem to be a love/hate team and that tends to generate a lot of interest and interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad