SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Eric Furlatt, Jean Hebert, Steve Kozari, Dan O’Rourke, Garrett Rank, Chris Rooney, Francois St. Laurent, and Kelly Sutherland

Why are you doing this to me :(

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It all goes back to the narrative that the Oilers are just a finesse, offensive team. People still can't wrap their heads around they are solid defensively, and actually have a fair bit or grit & toughness on that roster.

While we're on the topic. I believe we will see the best version of Evander Kane in the SCF, I don't think there's a player that will benefit more from the time off due to some of the nagging injuries he's had.

If that Panthers want to play a snarly & physical series, I'm sure the Oilers are more than okay with that.
Edmonton had the 10th least goals allowed in the league and they would have been higher if it wasn’t for that horrible 12 game start to the season under Woodcroft. The bad defence is just a reputation from last seasons and also because they’re one of the top scoring teams in the league.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Can someone actually provide evidence for this?

It's been stated numerous times but there hasn't been a single person who had actually backed it up.

Dallas had 10 players that reached 47 points. Florida had 5 players that reached 47 points(their next closest was Bennett with 41 points)

What are you basing your evidence on when it comes to Florida being deeper?
Which team has better defensive forwards or? You stated skilled as well, which I don't quite understand.

We gotta keep in mind that Eastern Conference was a lot more deadly than Western conference. Also Atlantic division was the toughest division IMO. Florida also plays less loser a game compared to Dallas. Dallas also had to go through VGK and then Avs. I think they ran out of gas. Oilers had an easier time IMO with freakin Kings and then Canucks

Just in terms of lines comparison using playoffs....

Line 1:
Barkov > Hintz
Reinhart > Seguin (this season at least)
Verhaeghe < Robertson

Barkov < McDavid
Reinhart = Hyman
Verhaeghe > RNH

CONCLUSION:
Line 1 (Florida) > Line 1 (Dallas)
Line 1 (Florida) = Line 1 (Oilers)

Line 2:
Tkachuck > Marchment
Bennet = Duchene
Rodrigues > Pavelski (this season at least)

Tkachuck > Holloway
Bennet < Draisaitl
Rodrigues = E. Kane

CONCLUSION
Line 2 (Florida) > Line 2 (Dallas)
Line 2 (Florida) = Line 2 (Oilers)

Line 3
Luostarinen < Benn
Lundell = Johnston (for this season at least 5 on 5)
Tarasenko > Stankoven

Luostarinen > Foegele
Lundell > McLeod
Tarasenko > Perry

CONCLUSION
Line 3 (Florida) = Line 3 (Dallas)
Line 3 (Florida) > Line 3 (Oilers)

Line 4
Its a wash between all 3 IMO

DEFENSE
Pair 1

Forsling > Lindell
Ekblad < Hieskanen

Forsling = Bouchard (5 on 5)
Ekblad < Ekholm

CONCLUSION
Pair 1 (Florida) = Pair 1 (Dallas)
Pair 1 (Florida) < Pair 1 (Oilers)

Pair 2
Mikkola > Harley
Montour > Tanev

Mikkola > Ceci
Montour > Nurse

CONCLUSION
Pair 2 (Florida) > Pair 2 (Dallas)
Pair 2 (Florida) > Pair 2 (Oilers)

Pair 3
OEL = Suter
Kulikov = Petrovic

OEL > Broberg
Kulikov > Deharnais

CONCLUSION
Pair 3 (Florida) = Pair 3 (Dallas)
Pair 3 (Florida) > Pair 3 (Oilers)

GOALIES
Bob > Otteinger
Bob > Skinner

COACHES
Maurice > Knoblauch

BOTTOM LINE
Florida is more skilled and deeper than Dallas. Also, Flordia in terms of team construction is also all round better than Oilers. However, Oilers super stars (McJesus/Drai) are better than anyone on the Florida team. If Oilers pull through it will be because of their super stars. If Panthers keep McJesus and Drai quiet; Panthers take the win.

Question is can panthers keep McJesus and Drai quiet? Can Panthers breakthrough oilers' PK and contain their PP i.e. win or at least stalemate the special teams? Florida has the 2nd best PK after oilers in the playoffs thus far.

Overall edge is to the Panthers. if McDavid and Drai take over the series it is game over. Don't think Barkov and his Selke would be enough to stop both if they impose their will. If Florida can frustrate McDavid and Drai they will walk away with the cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: cotopaxi

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It's actually a super exciting individual matchup between Barkov and McDavid

Clear best defensive vs clear best offensive forward matching up for the first time in the playoffs in the finals, on the heels of 2 such great playoff performances/seasons. How often has such a matchup occured in NHL final history like this?

I lean offense and also want Oilers to win, so I'm hoping McDavid shines through big time, but it'll certainly be fun to see how it plays out.
2008 and 2009?

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
We gotta keep in mind that Eastern Conference was a lot more deadly than Western conference. Also Atlantic division was the toughest division IMO. Florida also plays less loser a game compared to Dallas. Dallas also had to go through VGK and then Avs. I think they ran out of gas. Oilers had an easier time IMO with freakin Kings and then Canucks

Line 1:
Barkov > Hintz
Verhaeghe < Robertson

Barkov < McDavid
Reinhart = Hyman
Verhaeghe > RNH

Line 2:
Tkachuck > Marchment
Bennet = Duchene

Tkachuck > Holloway
Bennet < Draisaitl
Rodrigues = E. Kane

Line 3
Luostarinen > Benn
Tarasenko > Stankoven

Luostarinen > Foegele
Lundell > McLeod
Tarasenko > Perry

Line 4

DEFENSE
Pair 1

Forsling > Lindell
Ekblad < Hieskanen

Ekblad < Ekholm

Pair 2
Mikkola > Harley
Montour > Tanev

Mikkola > Ceci
Montour > Nurse

Pair 3
OEL = Suter
Kulikov = Petrovic

OEL > Broberg
Kulikov > Deharnais

GOALIES
Bob > Otteinger
Bob > Skinner

COACHES
Maurice > Knoblauch

BOTTOM LINE
Florida is more skilled and deeper than Dallas. Also, Flordia in terms of team construction is also all round better than Oilers. However, Oilers super stars (McJesus/Drai) are better than anyone on the Florida team. If Oilers pull through it will be because of their super stars. If Panthers keep McJesus and Drai quiet; Panthers take the win.

Question is can panthers keep McJesus and Drai quiet? Can Panthers breakthrough oilers' PK and contain their PP i.e. win or at least stalemate the special teams? Florida has the 2nd best PK after oilers in the playoffs thus far.

Overall edge is to the Panthers. if McDavid and Drai take over the series it is game over. Don't think Barkov and his Selke would be enough to stop both if they impose their will. If Florida can frustrate McDavid and Drai they will walk away with the cup.
If you swap Lindell with Heiskanen you get 2-0 for Dallas, this makes no sense.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Florida fans keep saying this but I've yet to see any evidence as well. Dallas was third in the league this past season in terms of goals scored per game. EDM was 4th and Florida was 11th. What they have is their forecheck that everyone keeps saying is unstoppable.

While goals against per game Florida was 1st and Oilers were 10th. Florida's neutral zone play is very structured.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It’s Mind bottling!

haha....this so reminds me when we were listening to music in the vehicle....

My wife singing: "Animal! Animalalalallllll! Animal!"
Me: "What the hell are you singing?"
Her: Animal.
Me: *laughing* IT'S PANAMA!
Her: Oh my god....I have to call my sister!

They had been singing the wrong lyrics for years and nobody ever corrected them rofl.

• Haha
Reactions: Ratsreign

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
The Oilers have been the best team in the playoffs when it comes to scoring 5v5 goals.
And almost outscored the Panthers by 40 5v5 goals in the regular season.
Not sure who started that propaganda, but I'm sure it came from the provinces of Ontario or BC. Or maybe the state of Pennsylvania. :sarcasm:

While goals against per game Florida was 1st and Oilers were 10th. Florida's neutral zone play is very structured.
That's this picture is the best for the finals. It's going to be fantastic.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

Line 1:
Barkov > Hintz
Verhaeghe < Robertson

Barkov < McDavid
Reinhart = Hyman
Verhaeghe > RNH

Line 2:
Tkachuck > Marchment
Bennet = Duchene

Tkachuck > Holloway
Bennet < Draisaitl
Rodrigues = E. Kane

Line 3
Luostarinen > Benn
Tarasenko > Stankoven

Luostarinen > Foegele
Lundell > McLeod
Tarasenko > Perry

Line 4

DEFENSE
Pair 1

Forsling > Lindell
Ekblad < Hieskanen

Ekblad < Ekholm

Pair 2
Mikkola > Harley
Montour > Tanev

Mikkola > Ceci
Montour > Nurse

Pair 3
OEL = Suter
Kulikov = Petrovic

OEL > Broberg
Kulikov > Deharnais

GOALIES
Bob > Otteinger
Bob > Skinner

COACHES
Maurice > Knoblauch

BOTTOM LINE

This might be one of the most cherry picked & biased post I've ever seen on HF, for many reasons.

We'll start off with this, in what world is Lundell equal to Johnston? How exactly is Luostarinen better than Benn? Rodrigues is better than Pavelski? I'm not sure how exactly you can say the 4th lines are equal as well.

Not to mention quite a few of those you set up to give Florida the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad