Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He wasn’t a difference maker for Tampa 4 years ago ( won despite him being very meh - that’s flattering his play ) so why would he be one now ? Hes gotten worse not better . Are you suggesting Savard on the Leafs equals cup last year ? Is that what I’m reading ? That along with the Ceci claim is well … something.

Difference being Monahan can actually still play. The Chariot deal is one of the worst in recent memory so hardly a template
Shhh...
Just be patient and wait.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Do you also agree with the above poster that Ceci is worth a 1 st ?
Ceci is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him.

San Jose just traded a prospect for Ceci and a third at full contract.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Do you also agree with the above poster that Ceci is worth a 1 st ?
Worth and what a GM will pay will depend on the market of supply and demand and desperation. Chiarot being a terrible and regrettable trade by Florida won’t stop other GMs making similar moves. I’d be outraged if our GM ever paid a 1st for Ceci but we see GMs do head scratching trades and signings every year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He wasn’t a difference maker for Tampa 4 years ago ( won despite him being very meh - that’s flattering his play ) so why would he be one now ? Hes gotten worse not better . Are you suggesting Savard on the Leafs equals cup last year ? Is that what I’m reading ? That along with the Ceci claim is well … something.

Difference being Monahan can actually still play. The Chariot deal is one of the worst in recent memory so hardly a template
I thought you Oilers fan. Sorry.

Leafs no, they always lacked will to win. Bobby Orr himself couldn't get them a Cup

Reactions: viceroy

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I thought you Oilers fan. Sorry.

Leafs no, they always lacked will to win. Bobby Orr himself couldn't get them a Cup
Classic. This just tells me you have no rebuttal and are looking rather foolish to take the low hanging fruit of insulting someone’s team allegiance when there is absolutely no reason for it , nor is it on topic whatsoever . But sure , do you. Savard wouldn’t have helped Edmonton at all . Guy is way way past due . At the price of a 1 st no less .

Worth and what a GM will pay will depend on the market of supply and demand and desperation. Chiarot being a terrible and regrettable trade by Florida won’t stop other GMs making similar moves. I’d be outraged if our GM ever paid a 1st for Ceci but we see GMs do head scratching trades and signings every year.
He said not only was he worth a 1 st but it would be a good trade … lol

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
So let’s make the scenarios the same . If San Jose retains 50 percent on Ceci at the deadline does he return a 1 st ? Yes or no .. pretty black and white . I say no , what say you ?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Oilers were also bent over a barrel by the dual offersheets and were desperate to clear cap

So ceci is not a comparable

As for savard, wait and see

He made even end up in Toronto if they’re willing to pay

So let’s make the scenarios the same . If San Jose retains 50 percent on Ceci at the deadline does he return a 1 st ? Yes or no .. pretty black and white . I say no , what say you ?
I say yes
100 percent yes
Next question

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He said not only was he worth a 1 st but it would be a good trade … lol
Yeah I'm with you on that one, can't get behind anything more than a 3rd for Ceci. Chiarot was a good trade for Montreal, Savard to Tampa was a good trade for Columbus, I just fully expect out of a dozen GMs who think they are contending someone will be desperate enough to pay a 1st for Savard - assuming Squirrely Dan can stay healthy'ish, I could never argue with a straight face he's actually worth it but I expect a sellers market on RHD

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Oilers were also bent over a barrel by the dual offersheets and were desperate to clear cap

So ceci is not a comparable

As for savard, wait and see

He made even end up in Toronto if they’re willing to pay

I say yes
100 percent yes
Next question
Perfect. Thank you for actually taking a stance. I really really hope that the Leafs don’t pay anything more than a 3 rd for Mr Savards corpse or I am puking. Guy is replacement level . I expect more a Schenn ish return rather than a Chariot one . Anything is possible . I’ve been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times after . I don’t think that is the case in this instance but it’s not beyond comprehension ( as offensive as I personally feel about it ) .

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Classic. This just tells me you have no rebuttal and are looking rather foolish to take the low hanging fruit of insulting someone’s team allegiance when there is absolutely no reason for it , nor is it on topic whatsoever . But sure , do you. Savard wouldn’t have helped Edmonton at all . Guy is way way past due . At the price of a 1 st no less .
Just saying how it is. Leafs ton of skill no will to win. Probably most important in playoffs. No heart

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Savard to Edmonton for both the St Louis offer sheet picks is a reasonable deal. Assuming the Habs are again TDL sellers.
It pisses me off because I hate the habs and their bougie fans but Savards gonna get a 1st+.
He's not worth anything near that but there's absolutely dick all out their in the rental market. A good GM with some assets and cap flexibility next year might have a few more options but a team like the oilers have no choice but to upgrade with limited assets or the ability to add another big cap hit beyond this season.
Add in the teams who will be down with injuries and all of a sudden 3-4 teams are competing against each other.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard to Edmonton for both the St Louis offer sheet picks is a reasonable deal. Assuming the Habs are again TDL sellers.

A lot will depend on how this season goes. I'm sure Hughes prefers to keep Savard for now and he's a good fit for Hutson. If we stay in the playoff bubble, Savard might stay. If we are not in the bubble, Savard will be traded at the TLD and there will be at least 3-5 teams bidding on him. A steady RD who is big and physical is always sought after.

With the Habs luck, he probably gets injured.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think the only time Savard gets a first (or equivalent) is the TDL.

A stay at home D whose sacrifices to his body to block the puck and his work ethic motivates people. A calming presence in the Locke room, he demonstrates leadership in all the aspects of the game. Blah blah blah, stanley cup ring. Blah blah blah role model.

Anyways, teams that don't have a #1D should not get one at the TDL because their team is just not there, but teams that are in need of a D that can take on D missions but otherwise play 3rd pairing D would absolutely see Savard as a target. Savard is by no means the 2nd coming of Orr, but neither is a late first a mythical entity. There will be enough calls on him at the TDL that the auction will return a 1st.

Question i have is - if DS is a DFD that is desirable for the playoffs, what does mtl do if they are still in the running for a playoff spot at the TDL? I think getting rid of DS in those circumstances would be a blow to morale.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just saying how it is. Leafs ton of skill no will to win. Probably most important in playoffs. No heart

I think the Leafs failures are goaltending and team D. Those areas are more tested in the playoffs and from what I have seen, the Leafs are fine with it in the regular season but when you get to the playoffs, You have to be very sound on Defense. Soft goals allowed are momentum killers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the only time Savard gets a first (or equivalent) is the TDL.

A stay at home D whose sacrifices to his body to block the puck and his work ethic motivates people. A calming presence in the Locke room, he demonstrates leadership in all the aspects of the game. Blah blah blah, stanley cup ring. Blah blah blah role model.

Anyways, teams that don't have a #1D should not get one at the TDL because their team is just not there, but teams that are in need of a D that can take on D missions but otherwise play 3rd pairing D would absolutely see Savard as a target. Savard is by no means the 2nd coming of Orr, but neither is a late first a mythical entity. There will be enough calls on him at the TDL that the auction will return a 1st.

Question i have is - if DS is a DFD that is desirable for the playoffs, what does mtl do if they are still in the running for a playoff spot at the TDL? I think getting rid of DS in those circumstances would be a blow to morale.

Agreed. No team likes to trade a 1st and when they do, it's typically near a TDL when they know where their team is at and where the pick is likely to be.

A 1st has to be quantified. Won't be a top 10 but there are major differences between 11-20 and 21-32. From 21-32, you have a decent shot at hitting but most will say, it's typically a "NHL player". So in most cases when teams trade a late 1st, it's a NHL player (maybe middle of the line-up) for a rental that might help them go farther. Not sure who has the time but a good list or post would be to show how many late 1sts (lets say 21+) end up top 6/top 4d? How often does the team get burned and how often does that player end up middle of the line-up or don't make the NHL.

Then you also look at "deep drafts" or "weak drafts". Fans talk about this prematurely all the time but NHL teams and scouts want to see how that draft year plays out or at least see 75% of it before they consider it deep or weak.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
From EDM’s side idk if I’d give more than a 3rd for him. Adding him doesn’t really do much, tbh. He’d add some depth, which is always welcome, but that’s about it. Pretty much just replaces Ceci in terms of impact, maybe a slight upgrade.

From the Habs’ side, I’d love to get a 1st for him, but I doubt it’s happening this time. Hughes has really been able to finesse those 1sts in other deals though, so who knows.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ceci is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him.

San Jose just traded a prospect for Ceci and a third at full contract.
tenor.gif
I honestly think Emberson is going to surprise a lot of people. He showed really well on a shit Sharks team.

Perhaps the Oilers would prefer Kovacevic for a 1st instead.:nod:
Not counting prospects, the Habs have one defenceman I'd give up a first for, and they ain't moving him.

No, it's not Matheson.

Reactions: dgibb10

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It pisses me off because I hate the habs and their bougie fans but Savards gonna get a 1st+.
He's not worth anything near that but there's absolutely dick all out their in the rental market. A good GM with some assets and cap flexibility next year might have a few more options but a team like the oilers have no choice but to upgrade with limited assets or the ability to add another big cap hit beyond this season.
Add in the teams who will be down with injuries and all of a sudden 3-4 teams are competing against each other.
It's possible both the St Louis picks for Savard won't be enough. I know the Oilers were happy to have the picks from the offer sheets, but lets be honest. 2nd and 3rd round picks don't buy you much at the deadline.

And I'm having a hard time finding which RHD will even be available with Larsson being extended by Seattle. The rental market will be skinny. Oilers don't have their 2025 1st.

Based on a D corps that only has 4 NHL level players, they'll need to add some bodies if they want to make a run in the playoffs.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - upgrade
Kulak - upgrade

If I was the Habs, I'd demand the 2026 1st and probably the Holloway pick as my starting point.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I honestly think Emberson is going to surprise a lot of people. He showed really well on a shit Sharks team.

Not counting prospects, the Habs have one defenceman I'd give up a first for, and they ain't moving him.

No, it's not Matheson.
Emberson played a whooping 30 games, got injured thrice, one a significant injury. Had a -4.2 expected goals for, 42% corsi which was neutral relative to his terrible teammates. PDO was a 99.6 so basically Emberson is exactly what the stats say he was. A bad player on a bad team. He hits a lot, perhaps why he's hurt and blocks shots ok (also why he's injured). And he turns the puck over a good amount given the few games he played in his only NHL season.

Emberson is going to surprise a lot of people. Those people will be Oilers fans that are expecting he'll step in for Ceci and not be a downgrade.

Emberson made this play though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad