Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
They got another point against a very talented team but I come out of this game more disappointed because like last Friday vs. Saginaw they should have won.

The good: Di Iorio getting his first OHL goal. You felt like that one was coming after he hit a few posts and was getting more involved offensively in the last few games. Surzycia was very solid again stopping 33/36 including all 11 off the stick of Colby Barlow. Great stop on the 2v0 in the second and two nice ones on Marelli in overtime. Fischer's skating has been noticeably better all year and it helped him get 1G/1A tonight. Great shot on his goal too. He was a +1 and Bodin was a +2 against a tough team. Hopefully something to build on for that pairing.

The bad: Blowing another two goal lead. The four-minute PP in the second destroyed all that momentum they had built up. I honestly didn't know that a power play could be this bad. Surzycia made some brilliant saves but also gave up two awful goals in the third. I'm sure he really wants that third one back. The way Letang handles OT infuriates me. The coaching staff doesn't go out and try to win, they try to not lose. Fischer-Bodin were out there together at one point. Hurt was out there for multiple shifts. This is where your offensive guys like Barr, Bridgewater, and Young are supposed to shine so put them out there. Speaking of Young where has he been? At times he was our best d-man last season and this year he's been invisible and as a result is down on the third pairing. I won't repeat myself too much on the lines but they were awful. Moses needs to stay in the bottom six and Karimov needs to get consisent time in the top six.

Had to go on my own @StingUpdates type of rant tonight lol. Should be a good one on Sunday afternoon. Always chippy and close when the Sting go up against the Firebirds. Need a W to close out the weekend. Hopefully we see some better lines and PP play so I don't go insane
Not long enough to be a StingUpdates rant! 😂

Young has had his moments but most came the first 3or4 games. Been a quiet last 7-10 days for him. Haven't hated his defensive play at least, but he's a guy who can push for 40 points & with so many young Fs we need him too.

Totally agree on Fischer. To me he looks like a kid who's figured it out. Still has his puck hog/trying to do to much moments, but man watching him tonight vs the NHL 3rd overall pick was like damn this kids elite. His skating looks insane for his size. Bodin has settled in nicely. Last 4-5-6 games have been very strong for that pair.

No 16/43 in OT on D is idiocy. Bridgewater is made for 3on3 with his skating. He'd open it up. Barr might be the best passer on the backend! Is a fine defender who they can trust. Karimov/Kostuch too. Karimov is a bull on the puck..all that open ice he could make stuff happen..Kostuch great speed down the wing could create something... Instead we play as you said not to lose & we fricken stink in the shootout! Goes back to pre season. They've gotta be 3or4 for 25.

Doucette post game said Surzycia was under the weather too. Hated that tying goal, but he played well especially while sick. Hopefully isn't going thru the team.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Kapageridis is off to a strong start in the OJHL. 13 points in 10 games. 2nd in D scoring in the league. Leads all rookie D (still classified as a rookie because he joined late last yr then went on the big playoff run) in scoring.

He's a really intriguing prospect. Elite puck skills. Very offensive minded & creative. I honestly thought he was a bit disappointing at camp. Was rather weak defensively & was a bit to reckless. But that was also Young at 17. See a fair bit of similarities in them.

He's openly stated he's gotten interest from teams (assuming NCAA).. Be interested to see if the Sting sign him. Feel like they tend to sign prospects they like during the first half of the season so they can get in games over the 2nd half when they are hit by an injury bug or feel like he's earned it. Issue is just the logjam. 8D still. All 8 can be back next year. And the top 5 (Fischer Bodin Barr Hurt Young) looks pretty set in stone.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Kapageridis is off to a strong start in the OJHL. 13 points in 10 games. 2nd in D scoring in the league. Leads all rookie D (still classified as a rookie because he joined late last yr then went on the big playoff run) in scoring.

He's a really intriguing prospect. Elite puck skills. Very offensive minded & creative. I honestly thought he was a bit disappointing at camp. Was rather weak defensively & was a bit to reckless. But that was also Young at 17. See a fair bit of similarities in them.

He's openly stated he's gotten interest from teams (assuming NCAA).. Be interested to see if the Sting sign him. Feel like they tend to sign prospects they like during the first half of the season so they can get in games over the 2nd half when they are hit by an injury bug or feel like he's earned it. Issue is just the logjam. 8D still. All 8 can be back next year. And the top 5 (Fischer Bodin Barr Hurt Young) looks pretty set in stone.
Don't know if they sign him yet. Looking at his game logs it doesn't look like he's been too consistent. 9 points in his first 4 games then 1 point in 6 games and then 3 points last night. Maybe if an injury comes up they try to take a run at signing him. It doesn't feel like a super pressing need at the moment

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Pretty big game today I feel. Division opponent. Been a frustrating couple games although they've played pretty well. Northern trip next weekend. 11 of 14 on the road with Di Iorio & Edwards being unavailable for most of those road games.

Hope to see better lines today, but not holding my breath especially cause I imagine they were pretty happy with how they played vs Oshawa 5on5. Curios to see who starts. Won't be upset either way.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Game will have the same type of result if lines don't have minor changes,
Wainwright doucette on same line and same PP unit! Crazy how letang uses them together when game on the line in OT or late in game but not for whole game. Watch some game video letang and try to help yourself.
Both players spark when out together, pretty obvious, that's something I would use as much as can.
Filak/ wainwright just not on same speed level kinda disrupts flow sometimes. Plus filak will have to take over line when Edward's gone in middle. Let's start today 2 points for the taking.
I want to see sim on pp let kid play

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Pretty big game today I feel. Division opponent. Been a frustrating couple games although they've played pretty well. Northern trip next weekend. 11 of 14 on the road with Di Iorio & Edwards being unavailable for most of those road games.

Hope to see better lines today, but not holding my breath especially cause I imagine they were pretty happy with how they played vs Oshawa 5on5. Curios to see who starts. Won't be upset either way.
Unavailable due to U17 challenge? Or some other reason

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Boy I'm sure Karimov a projected draft pick is absolutely thrilled with his decision to move across the world to be put on the 4th line on a team that's had issues scoring! Especially when he was our best goddamn player 2 games ago.

Letang keeps this up & maybe he'll do what Kukumberg did & just not return after Christmas!

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Boy I'm sure Karimov a projected draft pick is absolutely thrilled with his decision to move across the world to be put on the 4th line on a team that's had issues scoring! Especially when he was our best goddamn player 2 games ago.

Letang keeps this up & maybe he'll do what Kukumberg did & just not return after Christmas!
Oof if this is true and it’s his second game in a row on line 4. He is a strong forechecker and looks like he is always trying out there so wonder what the issue is.

I could absolutely see him leaving if this continues. It’s not like the MHL is some unscouted like 20 years ago where you wouldn’t be seen by NHL scouts.

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023

Something needs to change with management/coaching. Positioning of players on these lines makes no sense. How is Karimov not seeing much PP time but Filak is out there every other shift? Same with OT. The other rookies are getting a ton of time. Karimov is a workhorse. He’s earned more time.

Reactions: Ferda11 and JAMER

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019

I'm kinda starting to wonder if Letang is trying to coach his way out of a job here. With these dumb line decisions a horrible PP that hasn't seen any changes and not doing any post game presser's after some tough loses.

Reactions: Ferda11 and NBBFan

NBBFan

Nov 9, 2023
I'm kinda starting to wonder if Letang is trying to coach his way out of a job here. With these dumb line decisions a horrible PP that hasn't seen any changes and not doing any post game presser's after some tough loses.
He clearly has his favourites. It’s Karimov, Kostuch and Hurt’s draft years. They need action.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fischer losing his blade multiple times truly summarizes that period perfectly. What a fire drill on our end. Maillet facing 2on1s every shift.

Wainwright goal was big..steadied them a little... PP still horrendous. This 4th liner Karimov has some nifty hands & skills!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well we hated on it but 11 12 24 have been our only good players today. What an absolute disaster of a game. Easily their worst on the year. 2 bad goals for Maillet doesn't help. That's 4 bad goals on the weekend for our goalies.

Karimov makes stuff happen and he's getting 4 shifts a period. Legit insanity.

What a frustrating couple weekends. Be alot easier to stomach if they win vs OSH & SAG like they should've.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Flint dresses their starter and we lose, no question. Not taking much positives out of this one other than 12 and 23 scoring and Sting obtaining a couple pity points. Thanks Flint! lol.

Happy thanksgiving y’all! 🍻

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Family over for turkey so could only listen to first half of the radio broadcast but love to see the comeback win and some deserving folks get on the scoresheet!

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Way to shut me the F up in the 3rd boys!! 11-12-24 were absolute monsters today.

Wainwright 2G/1A & went a ridiculous 22/32 in the face off circle. +4 too! That's the Wainwright I was expecting. Best player on the ice..by far.

Moses 1G/1A & a fight win vs Mania. If he can just play with this level of energy every game he'd be such a good T9 winger. Size, speed, snarl & does have some offense to him.

Filak 2A, 6/10 on draws. Won so many battles & had a huge shot block late.

Full marks to them. They carried the team today to this win.

Brown finally gets on the board & he gets 2! Could see the weight lifted off his shoulders after the first one. And would u look who had the great setup on the tying goal?!?! Karimov!!! Lol. We r gonna ignore his hideous turnover on the one Lombardi goal.

Fischer-Bodin were strong when Fischer had 2 skate blades lmao. Thought Young was a lot better today. Love Andersen scrapping & firing up the team/crowd.

While we can say Flints backup sucked, Maillet certainly would want at least 2 of those back. But full credit he stopped all 11 in the 3rd.

And finally. A POWER PLAY GOAL!!! Di Iorio to boot. No fricken clue why he wasn't playing that side to use his shot all season. He also won 14 of 25 draws after going 9-4 Friday vs OSH.

Just a massive win for this group. They've deserved better in other games & got lucky today. I'll give Letang some credit too. That L1 worked. He played Karimov a lot more in the 3rd & got rewarded. Changed up PP units & got a GWG PPG. Stuck with Maillet when I wouldn't have & he rebounded in the 3rd.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Hope u have a great day/dinner with your families.

Last edited:
Reactions: stinger94

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Something needs to change with management/coaching. Positioning of players on these lines makes no sense. How is Karimov not seeing much PP time but Filak is out there every other shift? Same with OT. The other rookies are getting a ton of time. Karimov is a workhorse. He’s earned more time.
Strictly coaching issue. Seca and Legwand need to have a sit down with Letang and start playing the players with the most skill on the top 2 lines and powerplay. It’s common sense.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Didn't see the dangle live from my seat. What a nasty goal this was by Wainwright. Made Pitre look silly before a nice backhand finish.

Was great to see him look more like himself today. 22/32 in the draws is just ridiculous too.
gif_1728857079566.gif

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Strictly coaching issue. Seca and Legwand need to have a sit down with Letang and start playing the players with the most skill on the top 2 lines and powerplay. It’s common sense.
I'm alright with spreading it out. Kostuch & Edwards have had great success on line 3. But having Karimov line 4 is idiocy & when he shortens the bench it shouldn't involve taking Kostuch, Karimov off the ice.

Will say though, Kostuch still looks to be getting back into game shape at times. Missed all of camp with his illness. That's tough. Still love his game & he's still produced.

Hoping once Franceschetti is back & they are healthy we finally roll 12Fs & can roll the lines consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad