Sarnia Sting 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Beckham Edwards named rookie of the week in the OHL! 3G/1A weekend for him. Been a phenomenal start for him. I've said this before, but I knew the hype around him was that he could score but I had no idea he was such a smart, high IQ, 2way player.

We know how Letang is with rookies sometimes & he has him out regularly on the PK including in the final 3 minutes yesterday where he had a big clear.

He's gonna be a really special player in this league. Having him & Di Iorio down the middle sure is gonna be exciting.
The best part of the first two weeks has been Di Iorio/Edwards both looking like natural centres. Both support very well in the d-zone. As you said yesterday Di Iorio especially has made a number of good defensive plays thru the first five games.

Awesome to see Edwards get the rookie of the week. I was looking yesterday and he's only the fourth true rookie (16 year old) in Sting history to score four goals in the first four games of the season. Eric Himelfarb (99-00), Steven Stamkos (06-07), and Alex Galchenyuk (10-11) were the only other ones to do it. Pretty good company if you ask me. Can't remember the last time I was this excited about a future 1-2 punch down the middle

Reactions: StingUpdates

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Wainwright scored OT winner game 1, wasn't credited for it.(doucette got it)
Wainwright scored goal again in flint but was called back. I think he will be fine as will Di iorio and Brown who yet to bulge netting. When they do get that 1st one the flood gates will open.
PP needs to score at near 20% if not we need to change alot starting with D on it.
Barr played preseason and has yet to quarterback pp.
Need net front presence!! Without we are in effective

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The best part of the first two weeks has been Di Iorio/Edwards both looking like natural centres. Both support very well in the d-zone. As you said yesterday Di Iorio especially has made a number of good defensive plays thru the first five games.

Awesome to see Edwards get the rookie of the week. I was looking yesterday and he's only the fourth true rookie (16 year old) in Sting history to score four goals in the first four games of the season. Eric Himelfarb (99-00), Steven Stamkos (06-07), and Alex Galchenyuk (10-11) were the only other ones to do it. Pretty good company if you ask me. Can't remember the last time I was this excited about a future 1-2 punch down the middle
I was wondering myself about 4G first 5 games. Thanks for that info. What company to be in! U know Letang is giddy about those 2 being the top Cs when they are 18-19 lol.

Yah you'd have to go back awhile. Especially as homegrown Cs and not a trade deadline addition. Very exciting.

I've also been super happy with Kostuch. I figured he'd start really slow after having mono and missing all of camp. He's flying out there. He's throwing the body a lot too.

Wainwright scored OT winner game 1, wasnt credited for it.(doucette got it)
Wainwright scored goal again in flint but was called back. I think he will be fine as will Di iorio and Brown who yet to bulge netting. When they do flood gates will open.
PP needs to score at near 20% if not we need to change alot starting with D on it.
Barr played preseason and has yet to quarterback pp.
Need net front presence!! Without we are in effective
Yah I've watched the replay for that OT winner 10 times and I don't understand why Wainwright never got credit. Very clear he jammed it in. Hell if the PP could just be 18% (still bad) it'll be big lol.

I'm hoping they r just taking it slow with Barr after he missed the 2nd half and had an injury then mono. But I think they are just being stupid about it.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Complete speculation from me, but Letang is well regarded. I imagine he's paid a normal amount for OHL coaches. Haley & Jeffery tho are probably dirt cheap because no prior experience & just retired.

I've always wanted them to hire a more experienced assistant. Instead they keep hiring guys with little experience as coaches. They at least were longtime pros/NHLers so they obviously have some wisdom & things to teach but that's probably more helpful off the ice than on it.

End of the day I think Letang is a fine head coach. He has his issues. PP deployment. Reliance on vets even if they aren't good. Sometimes waits to long to change the lines up.

But the teams been very disciplined (usually near the bottom for PIMs) since he arrived. I like the structure he tries to bring, I've been very happy with how guys have developed in his time here, especially Dmen. I've heard (even from players) he's a great teacher & communicator which is important at this level.

I think we forget at times what a truly bad coached team looks like. Compete level bad, no identity, undisciplined, selfish play, careless attitudes, no accountability & just miserable to watch. Sarnia has not had that since he came. They've had bad teams because like last yr that talent was so poor they couldn't stay afloat but they are usually good for compete level, discipline, standing up for each other etc & I appreciate that as a fan.

I started going to games around 2008 & some of the teams from then to about 2019 were truly embarrassing to watch (I know some of y'all have seen even farther back & even worse teams lol) so my bar is very low for sure, but I've been happy with this organization since Letang joined. It's been far more professionally ran on & off the ice. They act right. Haven't had any "bad eggs" on the team. Guys have developed well. Guys getting drafted or getting pro deals/invites has become more common I feel. They actually had a playoff run & it's led to them having there best run of attendance in a long time though I'm still bitter about it lol.

Certainly have my issues with them it's not perfect but outside London nobody is.

Sorry for the rant. But I was due for one of these it's been a little bit 😂😂

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad