Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMER

Nov 13, 2019
Well trade deadline has past looks like we won't see any trades announced. So this is r team. Can't help but think with how high prices where this year that we should've done a bit more. Plus this is the first deadline I can remember that we haven't made some type of trade.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Well trade deadline has past looks like we won't see any trades announced. So this is r team. Can't help but think with how high prices where this year that we should've done a bit more. Plus this is the first deadline I can remember that we haven't made some type of trade.
To be fair I find it unlikely any team would want Sikic, Way, Filak or anyone else remaining on the roster... Buzz still need to field some sort of a team... what the point in giving up those guys for a late pick. We did some good work and got the most out of some pretty mediocre players.... no offence to them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I love Young but I think Fischer is a bit better. I know +/- isn't the perfect stat, but Fischer is an even rating on the year despite always being on the top pair vs every teams top line. He's had some terrible games/moments but for the majority of the year he's been a real rock back there. Even has 1 more point than Young who we are gassing up offensively. Think we often forget he's only 17.. there's probably only a handful of (at most) of U17 guys who play as much as Fischer.

But trust me I'm all aboard the Young fan bus haha. Have been pretty much since we saw him for the first time last yr. Has all the makings of being the next Ritchie for us. His skating & puck carrying are elite. Love the snarl he's shown too.

This defence could be so good in the years to come lead by them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Also with the TDL come and gone Sarnia will finish the yr as the conference's youngest team. Gonna be one helluva bumpy 2nd half. Love a lot of the young core they've built. Hopefully we see them develop down the stretch then into next year & so on.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
To be fair I find it unlikely any team would want Sikic, Way, Filak or anyone else remaining on the roster... Buzz still need to field some sort of a team... what the point in giving up those guys for a late pick. We did some good work and got the most out of some pretty mediocre players.... no offence to them.

Agreed. I think it's a combination of other teams not wanting them, as well as Letang's hard on for the vets. I think that's fairly evident seeing how Way is still on PP1. While I don't discredit all the things those players bring to the team on and off the ice, you can't really argue with the fact that the 3 of them have underperformed as veteran players. I'm sure some teams may have called up and offered something like a 7th/8th for Sikic, but Letang has him overvalued so he stays put.

Our first power play unit should be made up of players who are actually going to be playing for the Sarnia Sting next year. #9 and #15 are not going to be here.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Also (last thought lmao) this week did make me appreciate last year's approach a bit more not gonna lie.

Some teams went half-in/dipped their toes in. I think that's the worst way to go about it. Sure they won't fall off to damn near unwatchable like us, sure, but they will waste some tremendous players/core groups & for what? A tough 1st RD matchup or a 2nd round dusting? Then they'll fall off to 7th/8th for a couple years & not win anything just like us.

I think some teams had horrendous/baffling weeks.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I would be surprised just based on numbers. Looks like you are already carrying 2 extra forwards and 2 extra defensemen.

Reactions: Ferda11

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
I only compared them because u said he has the worst shot on the entire Dcore. Barr, Hurt are apart of that Dcore.

He's definitely an offensively leaning Dman..has his weaknesses defensively but he's in his first real season of getting OHL ice time. He's still learning. And they rely on him to create so he cheats more.

Think if there's 1 thing Letang has shown he knows how to develop Dmen & get them to play smart & sound in their own end. Staubitz re signing out of nowhere then Sullivan doing the same in close proximity surely didn't help the team but especially the Dmen. Especially with their age and inexperience

You think Letang developed anything? That was alot of Staubitz, letang gave Ritchie a long leash his 1st year but Staubitz reeled him in and as with age players learn faster move puck more chances get (exception with kyrou)
I still think DS built one of best D core in 1-2 years. Forwards will emerg with alot more icetime

Stings future looks promising, not going to be fun rest of this season but next few will be exciting

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Owen Sound GM today said - one particular deal he thought was done, but then the player involved became part of a bigger package put together for “a ridiculous price”.

Believe (but could be wrong) this is about Vilmanis. So nice to see other GMs think we made out well ahah

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Think it's a smart move going with Surzycia. London would definitely wanna pour it on even more with Chartier in net after last games shenanigans.

Not sure why they'd break up Brown-Wainwright-Moses. They've been terrific. But least it's to put Kostuch there and not a vet. Brown had good chemistry with Filak in pre season too.

I expect an annihilation. Anything less I'll be pleased lol.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Think it's a smart move going with Surzycia. London would definitely wanna pour it on even more with Chartier in net after last games shenanigans.

Not sure why they'd break up Brown-Wainwright-Moses. They've been terrific. But least it's to put Kostuch there and not a vet. Brown had good chemistry with Filak in pre season too.

I expect an annihilation. Anything less I'll be pleased lol.

Typical Letang change things because that's what Letang does. So Overrated

Put Way in net. Who gives a damn. Nick and Karsen don't deserve to play behind this type of effort.

Agree Way plays more icetime than anyone else, get him more Letang, put him in net hahahahahaa like that alot.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
2 minute 5on3 and we have Way, Sikic, Filak, Doucette on the ice while Brown, Wainwright sit on the bench with there stupid hands , useless good shots & dumb passing vision. Who needs that on the ice am I right!?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
And I'm not piling on those guys, especially Way. He battles his tail off. Does anything he can to help win & a great teammate.

But C'mon. Know the players skills & boundaries. U can put one of 9/11/15 net front and have 12&23 on the wings. Just common sense.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Quite possibly the worst games I've ever seen .... It makes no sense how the power play can be that bad. I fully expected them to get smoked but that was embarrassing. Coaching staff needs to give their heads a shake honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad