Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting get an 8th for O'Toole. Nothing crazy but they'll take it. Still remains to be seen if he can be an every day OHLer & they used a 10th on him. Gives them three 8ths in this next draft which is nice.

Still imagine we see one more D (guessing Omeri) moved but that might wait until after pre season is done.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Sting get an 8th for O'Toole. Nothing crazy but they'll take it. Still remains to be seen if he can be an every day OHLer & they used a 10th on him. Gives them three 8ths in this next draft which is nice.

Still imagine we see one more D (guessing Omeri) moved but that might wait until after pre season is done.
What’s wrong with 8 D that standard for every team

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'd prefer them not to sit 2 D every night. Not very fair to them either. Especially if there's other teams out there willing to trade for them & play them consistently.
Uhm. The way things have gone for the Sting over the last two years, they might want to roster 10 D just so they can have at least 5 to ice when the injuries start mounting up. 8 is pretty standard. With injuries, suspensions, tournaments, prospect games etc. there’s usually enough ice to justify keeping 8 around.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Uhm. The way things have gone for the Sting over the last two years, they might want to roster 10 D just so they can have at least 5 to ice when the injuries start mounting up. 8 is pretty standard. With injuries, suspensions, tournaments, prospect games etc. there’s usually enough ice to justify keeping 8 around.
Hahaha true! Sarnia has usually always kept 7. One as extra & if there's an injury then you call up an 8th one which usually is a rookie.

I don't think it's fair to Omeri (if it's him) who's 18 to be sitting 90% of the year after he spent his rookie yr playing most nights.

But maybe y'all are right & as u said Sarnia for whatever reason has made it a tradition at this point to get down to 2or3 healthy D at some point in the season lol.

Reactions: HkyBeegs3

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone know who the players cut are yet?
Unfortunately do not. Sarnia didn't announce the cuts like other teams did. Sadly. Guess we'll have to find out Friday @ Windsor with the lineup/scratches.

Sim, Hall, Lominac were all at the BBQ yesterday & as I said I believe they signed JJ Franceschetti so there is a chance they are keeping 15/16/17 Fs thru pre season. Might also depend on Kostuch/Doherty being healthy & Karimov getting over as well.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Any idea when Karimov arrives? Love to see what he has before season starts ans whether we can sort out some lines with chemistry heading into season.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Any idea when Karimov arrives? Love to see what he has before season starts ans whether we can sort out some lines with chemistry heading into season.
Unfortunately it's out of there hands on that one. Seems to be a bit longer of a process to get a visa this yr for a few imports. Just hoping it gets figured out before the regular season begins

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Franceschetti and Chamberlian added to the preseason roster.
Took em long enough haha. I think they went into camp with their mind made up on Franceschetti being on the team. Still showed well which probably secured it, but I think he's exactly what they want on the 4th line.

Chamberlain like I said when I saw the legionnaires play him is someone that excites me. Elite, A+ skater & is already 6'2". That's a great foundation. Also a really strong 200FT player & does have offensive ability, but it definitely needs to grow for him to be a T6 F when he's 18/19/20. I'm hoping he can follow a Ryan McGregor type developmental path

Will say though, I disagree with having him stick with the team which it seems like he is. He has clear room to develop/grow offensively & here he's playing L4 most nights & probably sitting a lot too. Rather him play top 6, PP, PK with strathroy.

But this probably ensures the end of Hall, Sim & probably Lominac.

Reactions: robp1219 and JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Any word on King?
Let go back to Jr B. Sucks. Think he's an OHL level player & has some upside for next year. But they have way to many Fs.

They currently have 17 signed. Assuming Karimov eventually gets here they have to many. As we've said gotta think Sim/Hall are gone. Makes 15 which is still to many. Makes me think Lominac is gone. But I'd still rather not carry 14 & have Luecke/Chamberlain/Gaughan take turns sitting as U17 guys.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Let go back to Jr B. Sucks. Think he's an OHL level player & has some upside for next year. But they have way to many Fs.

They currently have 17 signed. Assuming Karimov eventually gets here they have to many. As we've said gotta think Sim/Hall are gone. Makes 15 which is still to many. Makes me think Lominac is gone. But I'd still rather not carry 14 & have Luecke/Chamberlain/Gaughan take turns sitting as U17 guys.

chamberlan is not ohl ready, keeping him and its more sean doherty

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
chamberlan is not ohl ready, keeping him and its more sean doherty
Yah I agree. I think he can play some minutes, but hes not gonna bring much offense as a rookie. Needs to develop that part of his game & hard to do that playing 30 times & it all being 4th line. Hope he's sent down after a couple weeks

And wow, u hearing they r trying to move him?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yah I agree. I think he can play some minutes, but hes not gonna bring much offense as a rookie. Needs to develop that part of his game & hard to do that playing 30 times & it all being 4th line. Hope he's sent down after a couple weeks

And wow, u hearing they r trying to move him?

no im saying chamberlan is more like doherty and keeping him around will kill any kind of offensvie upside.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Think it's a safety net for now, the pre season will be who stays and who goes
Lominac plays a gritty game so think he stays around.
I hope so. In the article Seca did say "to stick with us for the season." I don't think it's the right way to go about it, but I am not as smart as them & the way they've done it has worked fine.

Be interesting to see the lines tomorrow at Windsor! Lominac-Edwards-Moses had a terrific camp together so I wonder if they stick as a line.

Also be interesting if they have Sim/Hall/Chamberlain/Luecke/Gaughan all in the lineup sort of competing against each other for the final spots.

Reactions: JAMER

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Real good interview with Seca in the observer.

Kostuch is weeks out from ramping it up..must've been a bad illness. Sucks & hopefully doesn't linger to long for him. Karimov is still 2-3 weeks out. Hopeful for opener but it'll be tight. Hurt is out & will miss pre season. Sucks cause he looked great in camp. Hopefully doesn't linger into the season for him..

They love what they saw from Chamberlain in camp along with other 08s. He says you'll likely see other signed in the next few months (my guess Neusteter/Garret/Grovestine.) Franceschetti they came to like while watching Maillet play (same team) & love what he brings for a young team.

Bodin (BUF), Fischer (STL), Young (COL) are going to rookie camps. Says they'll let the Fs battle it out during pre season & even the first few weeks. In net they seem to be leaving it up to their play. Pre season gonna be massive for Chartier and Maillet.

As always appreciate Seca's openness in these interviews. This one especially was a great read. Can't recall pre season meaning so much for this team in awhile. So many spots up for grabs. See who brings it!

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting lines tonight @ Windsor

Sim-Filak-Doherty
Brown-Di Iorio-Luecke
Wainwright-Edwards-Hall
Franceschetti-Chamberlain-Moses
Gaughan

Young-Bodin
Bridgewater-Omeri
Andersen-Barr

Chartier starts

Love keeping Brown/Di Iorio together. Franceschetti & Moses could be 2/3 of such a fun 4th line that just loves to hit & create chaos. Can't say I love the other lines, but pre season so whatever.

Karimov, Kostuch, Doucette, Lominac, Fischer, Hurt, Surzycia not dressed.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad