Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
There are 4 players on sting I'd like to see get drafted this month.

Fischer
Chartier
Young
Wainwright

Just would boost Buzz core right away.
Fischer- I think will go in the 2nd round.

Chartier- No he needs alot more playing time. And to prove he can play at this level as a starter. Which I think he can do.

Young- I could see going in the 6th or 7th or at least getting an invite.

Wainwright- No if he where more consistent offensively I'd say yes.

Reactions: Davis Boyer

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
No but the year after yes.
Now that one I can totally see. This year? Are there even any 19-20yo D on the roster currently? Sarnia has 4-5 kids on the blueline I really like but I don’t know if they’ll even be in the top 2 DCore’s in the Division. Just way too young and inexperienced at this point. I imagine they’ll grab a 19yo or OA D to help guide the kids this year and they’ll be a solid group though. I just wouldn’t put those expectations on the boys this year. I think they’ll get there soon enough if fans are patient.

Reactions: StingUpdates

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Now that one I can totally see. This year? Are there even any 19-20yo D on the roster currently? Sarnia has 4-5 kids on the blueline I really like but I don’t know if they’ll even be in the top 2 DCore’s in the Division. Just way too young and inexperienced at this point. I imagine they’ll grab a 19yo or OA D to help guide the kids this year and they’ll be a solid group though. I just wouldn’t put those expectations on the boys this year. I think they’ll get there soon enough if fans are patient.
One thing going for a lot of the 17 and 18 year olds for this years club, is that they played a lot of minutes and in tough situations some of them got PP other PK on at the end of the game trying to hold a league or tie a game. They got a tone of experience most 16 year olds don’t get in the OHL. Probably never been a team with that many rookies who played big minutes due to veterans being injured so often. So they are excellerated in their development. And they did play well as 16 year old under that pressure.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
One thing going for a lot of the 17 and 18 year olds for this years club, is that they played a lot of minutes and in tough situations some of them got PP other PK on at the end of the game trying to hold a league or tie a game. They got a tone of experience most 16 year olds don’t get in the OHL. Probably never been a team with that many rookies who played big minutes due to veterans being injured so often. So they are excellerated in their development. And they did play well as 16 year old under that pressure.
True. I watched a few games where I thought a severely depleted, young Sting Dcore was gonna get run over and they performed admirably. That’s kinda been Sarnia’s MO the last couple years. “Hey, let’s have 17 kids out with injury all at once and play 4 D with 3 being rookies.”

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
True. I watched a few games where I thought a severely depleted, young Sting Dcore was gonna get run over and they performed admirably. That’s kinda been Sarnia’s MO the last couple years. “Hey, let’s have 17 kids out with injury all at once and play 4 D with 3 being rookies.”
I'm sure they've been thrilled with that becoming a reoccurring thing haha. As Rob said it could end up being a good thing. Hurt & Barr (Hurt especially) shouldn't have any issue playing top4/big minutes after having to do it as rookies. Still gonna have their bumps still being only 17, though.

Best of luck to Flint. Seems like it'll be a go for it year!

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Buzz is going to surprise alot of people questioning them. Going to be so much improved by the time game 1 comes. The Right moved by DS to get a D mentor and quality grit upfront and stud imports and buzz will challenge. Have them top 4 in Division.

Reactions: howler2

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Buzz is going to surprise alot of people questioning them. Going to be so much improved by the time game 1 comes. The Right moved by DS to get a D mentor and quality grit upfront and stud imports and buzz will challenge. Have them top 4 in Division.
Well, there’s only 5 teams in the Division so I imagine it’s quite likely the Sting manage to find themselves in the top 4. Is that what you’re expecting them to Challenge for? They’re not ready to go for a Championship and Seca isn’t stupid. I imagine they’re competitive and well within a playoff position all year but I expect when the trade deadline rolls around he does a small sell off or stands pat. Be patient and temper your expectations. They’ll be better this year. They’ll be competitive. They’ll make playoffs and you’ll watch them grow and begin preparing for a real Championship run in 25-26 and/or 26-27.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Well, there’s only 5 teams in the Division so I imagine it’s quite likely the Sting manage to find themselves in the top 4. Is that what you’re expecting them to Challenge for? They’re not ready to go for a Championship and Seca isn’t stupid. I imagine they’re competitive and well within a playoff position all year but I expect when the trade deadline rolls aro²und he does a small sell off or stands pat. Be patient and temper your expectations. They’ll be better this year. They’ll be competitive. They’ll make playoffs and you’ll watch them grow and begin preparing for a real Championship run in 25-26 and/or 26-27.
I meant conference.
Isn't hard to be top 4 in division
Team will surprise is all I'm saying.

Reactions: howler2

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well, there’s only 5 teams in the Division so I imagine it’s quite likely the Sting manage to find themselves in the top 4. Is that what you’re expecting them to Challenge for? They’re not ready to go for a Championship and Seca isn’t stupid. I imagine they’re competitive and well within a playoff position all year but I expect when the trade deadline rolls around he does a small sell off or stands pat. Be patient and temper your expectations. They’ll be better this year. They’ll be competitive. They’ll make playoffs and you’ll watch them grow and begin preparing for a real Championship run in 25-26 and/or 26-27.
Top 4 in the conference in no particular order will likely be London, Guelph, Flint and Erie. Saginaw might be up there as well depending on who they trade for picks. Not seeing Sarnia in that group this year. They along with Windsor need another year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It’s possible Sarnia could be a top 4-5 team in the conference post trade deadline. Predicting the final standings is not possible before knowing which OAs and imports teams will have, and which players get extended stays on pro teams.
Sarnia could be far behind some or all of Guelph, Kitchener, OS, Saginaw, and SSM that could occupy the 4-8 spots at the Christmas break.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It’s possible Sarnia could be a top 4-5 team in the conference post trade deadline. Predicting the final standings is not possible before knowing which OAs and imports teams will have, and which players get extended stays on pro teams.
Sarnia could be far behind some or all of Guelph, Kitchener, OS, Saginaw, and SSM that could occupy the 4-8 spots at the Christmas break.
That's why I used the term "likely" as a lot can change with just 1 signing or trade.

Reactions: dirty12

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Top 4 in the conference in no particular order will likely be London, Guelph, Flint and Erie. Saginaw might be up there as well depending on who they trade for picks. Not seeing Sarnia in that group this year. They along with Windsor need another year.
I agree with the ending but not so much with GUE being remotely close to a sure thing. Have up to 8 OAs. Defense is gonna be Allen (who's been a huge disappointment), Budnick (an ok/fine OA D), Singh (decent Dman), Topp (okay depth D), Baeuchesne (should be good but only 17). That won't be a great Dcore imo.

Gillespie will be a strong G. Did fade at the end but think it was just from being tired. Gonna play behind a worse defensive team tho than the one they just had that was stingy. I can't see them using Skavicek as backup again so need to figure that out.

Up front. Luchenko will be a stud. After that? Namestnikov & Karabela will be OA Fs.. Namestnikov took a huge step back without Portrais. Karabela is a solid player but certainly not a big PT producer or a top end OA. Crane, Veccia, McGuire, Grundner are all OAs so they are gone. Arliksson is fine. Could see him having 25G if he takes a step. I do like Snelgrove. Could see him taking a step. McLean could be a fine rookie as 3C.

I see a team that is gonna be just OK on D, lacks F depth & doesn't have legit punch after Luchenko unless Namestnikov & Karabela take big OA jumps which is possible, but I personally don't see it.

Not saying I think Sarnia's better than them (tho I think they could be), but I honestly have GUE lower than a few teams. Maybe I'm off though. Have been many of times, lol.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I agree with the ending but not so much with GUE being remotely close to a sure thing. Have up to 8 OAs. Defense is gonna be Allen (who's been a huge disappointment), Budnick (an ok/fine OA D), Singh (decent Dman), Topp (okay depth D), Baeuchesne (should be good but only 17). That won't be a great Dcore imo.

Gillespie will be a strong G. Did fade at the end but think it was just from being tired. Gonna play behind a worse defensive team tho than the one they just had that was stingy. I can't see them using Skavicek as backup again so need to figure that out.

Up front. Luchenko will be a stud. After that? Namestnikov & Karabela will be OA Fs.. Namestnikov took a huge step back without Portrais. Karabela is a solid player but certainly not a big PT producer or a top end OA. Crane, Veccia, McGuire, Grundner are all OAs so they are gone. Arliksson is fine. Could see him having 25G if he takes a step. I do like Snelgrove. Could see him taking a step. McLean could be a fine rookie as 3C.

I see a team that is gonna be just OK on D, lacks F depth & doesn't have legit punch after Luchenko unless Namestnikov & Karabela take big OA jumps which is possible, but I personally don't see it.

Not saying I think Sarnia's better than them (tho I think they could be), but I honestly have GUE lower than a few teams. Maybe I'm off though. Have been many of times, lol.
GUE is bringing back 4 20 goal scorers and Alriksson was close to that mark. That's 5 decent options to score there and they'll probably bring in another. Their top 6 will be fine enough. Not title good but probably good enough for top 4.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
GUE is bringing back 4 20 goal scorers and Alriksson was close to that mark. That's 5 decent options to score there and they'll probably bring in another. Their top 6 will be fine enough. Not title good but probably good enough for top 4.
We'll see! I don't think they'll be terrible but I'm not ready to say confidently they are top 4.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The D you listed are all 1st & 3rd round picks. Another one this year.makes five straight years of high picks (3; 1; 3; 1 & 3; 3) used on D. The Guelph D is bound to be really good eventually. Maybe being in the top third for GA had something to do with having a good defence corps.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
We'll see! I don't think they'll be terrible but I'm not ready to say confidently they are top 4.
its gonna be such a bizarre season in the west, i think windsor misses the playoffs, but other then that anyone can finish 5-8. goaltending will be the difference for those that have it and those that do not.

Reactions: StingUpdates

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Oilers coach pulled a Letang special in game 7. You're never going to win playing chicken.... or dumb...... Anyone have any news regarding USA guys who buzz took a flyer on or Edwards?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Oilers coach pulled a Letang special in game 7. You're never going to win playing chicken.... or dumb...... Anyone have any news regarding USA guys who buzz took a flyer on or Edwards?
Could say it was a London special with how they played that mem cup haha.

Nope. Wouldn't hold your breath for Edwards at least this yr. See if any get drafted Saturday & maybe if they go to the right team that we know well they send them our way.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Is Hookey going to end up back home for the Sting?
I've thought about that..make some sense. Sting definitely would like his size and snarl + leadership.

As a of now they maybe sorta have 3 OAs lol. Sorta uncertain with Surzycia in net. If they let him go and Hookey is cheap I wouldn't be opposed.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Went to the equipment sale mainly just cause I wanted to see the arena, haha. The new boards/glass are fantastic. It really stands out.

Pre season schedule out too. First time I can remember don't play London to start.

Sep 6th @ Windsor
Sep 7th vs Flint
Sep 17th vs Windsor
Sep 20th @ London
Sep 21st vs London

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Love to see hookey in black and gold again! Really need a RH winger to take care of business in feont of net and corners give players like wainwright and brown kostuch more room out there.
Role I'd love to see filak adapt to his game again like 2 years ago.

OAs I hope are up in air at this point love to see Doucette back but I'd still say if teams want any of our OAs I'd listen to deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad