Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The Sting home opener is on September 27th vs. Windsor and then are visiting the Memorial Cup champion Saginaw Spirit on the 28th
Get to see Belchetz right away. See how he & Di Iorio matchup! Also get to see what type of step Sarnia boy, Nesbitt took.

Luckily Greentree & Parekh will probably be at NHL camps for opening weekend

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yah part of why I view it as a weak conference. Outside those teams you said (I'd throw KIT in there w/Parsons) there is a ton of questions marks.

Not even sure who's 4th best? Maybe Oke or Day?
I kinda questioned it but you guys were pumping chattier as a top 06 goalie a while ago, what happened to that?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yah part of why I view it as a weak conference. Outside those teams you said (I'd throw KIT in there w/Parsons) there is a ton of questions marks.

@yacky

The post you quoted talked about the weak western conference ……

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I kinda questioned it but you guys were pumping chattier as a top 06 goalie a while ago, what happened to that?
Idk if we were pumping him up as a top 06, but he was showing good signs of potential starting goalie.

2nd half he struggled. Went long stretches between games & played behind a ridiculously inexperienced Dcore on top of just not playing great.

He has the traits. He's just very wild/erratic. Needs to calm it down a bit. It's why I've been saying I want to take an import G. He's no sure thing & if he doesn't improve we'd be totally screwed in net going forward.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Idk if we were pumping him up as a top 06, but he was showing good signs of potential starting goalie.

2nd half he struggled. Went long stretches between games & played behind a ridiculously inexperienced Dcore on top of just not playing great.

He has the traits. He's just very wild/erratic. Needs to calm it down a bit. It's why I've been saying I want to take an import G. He's no sure thing & if he doesn't improve we'd be totally screwed in net going forward.
your right, I think it was internet twitter scouts saying that.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
your right, I think it was internet twitter scouts saying that.
I'm sure I hyped him up a bit to much during camp because he was going toe 2 toe with Gaudreau, haha.

Still think he could be good. Big, athletic as heck, very quick, great stick handler for u20 just as I said he's very wild. If he can't fix that he'll likely be replaced by November.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm sure I hyped him up a bit to much during camp because he was going toe 2 toe with Gaudreau, haha.

Still think he could be good. Big, athletic as heck, very quick, great stick handler for u20 just as I said he's very wild. If he can't fix that he'll likely be replaced by November.
na it was during the year in North York. I remember them saying he was the best in the draft and confused why

Reactions: StingUpdates

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
He can be, when settled in net and focused with edge he us really good.
Best in draft well he just might end up being there, has the size and compete that's forsure.
Tough to judge as D core super young and still is learning and didnt provide him an allstar type numbers year.

But that's with all draft eligible players on Buzz. Was a tough Season to judge and compare as AL played his vets a tonne for some reason rather than focus on future. CC and few others were pushed down depth for less talented Vets. AL loves playing his 20 year olds let's hope he learned from that.

CC should be starter period.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Best in draft well he just might end up being there, has the size and compete that's forsure.
Tough to judge as D core super young and still is learning and didnt provide him an allstar type numbers year.

But that's with all draft eligible players on Buzz. Was a tough Season to judge and compare as AL played his vets a tonne for some reason rather than focus on future. CC and few others were pushed down depth for less talented Vets. AL loves playing his 20 year olds let's hope he learned from that.

he won’t be better then George or lenders. the sting would trade Cartier for either of them and drive Cartier to the airport to make sure he gets there

TonyB

Oct 1, 2023

Surzycia outplayed CC. CC did not have good results against good teams. Both played in front of a very young D that made a lot of mistakes and the D will be better this year.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Totally agree no question.
CC is better than Leenders was just on a solid D core team we will see how it all plays out this year alot of rebuilds in league this year its goig to be fun lookig forward to import draft. And trades in off season other than Flint

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Totally agree no question.
CC is better than Leenders was just on a solid D core team we will see how it all plays out this year alot of rebuilds in league this year its goig to be fun lookig forward to import draft. And trades in off season other than Flint
Leenders was most certainly not on a team with a good d-core. Mississauga's defence gave up a lot of shots and he had to bail them quite often. Chartier may be a good goalie in time but let's not put him in conversations that he doesn't deserve to be in yet

I'd put Willmore into the tier with Oke and Day

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca is reluctant to take playing time away from the Sting’s young core.

“I really like the youth of our group,” he said. “Anything that’s going to influence the youth of our group doesn’t make any sense because we understand where we’re at, but there are some conversations on adding a little bit of experience potentially. But, it all has to fall within the framework of our timelines.

“We’re excited to watch these young guys make some steps. If they do, then we may not have a lot of moves to make at all. But there is some discussions over the course of the summer, for sure, because there’s a few players that we know could use a change of scenery and may help our lineup.”

Seca talked a bit in the observer today. Said they'll be making 2 picks in the import draft. But this part is what I liked. This is gonna be an extremely young team again. It's foolish to go add 19/20 yr olds to it & push them down a line a pair or out of the lineup entirely. Let the U18s play & grow together.

That last part is most interesting though & I wonder who he's referencing. We know getting guys who need a change of scenery/fresh start & them becoming good players has been a strength of this regime. That I am for if it's like he said within the framework of this teams timeline which I view as possibly 2025-2026, but definitely 2026-2027 when Brown/Kostuch/Barr/Hurt/Bridgewater/Luecke/Sim/Andersen are 19 & this most recent class is 18.

If they can keep adding to that then when it is 2026-2027 they won't have to trade five 2nds, five 3rds, three young players to make it a contending year. It should be one from the get go. Why I hope they can get a 17 year old with that 6th pick in the import draft. Not easy but a 3 yr impact player would be massive (like Gazizov for LDN, Sapovaliv for SAG) for this team. It's also why trading Fischer, Young, Wainwright could be quite the decision likely not this year, but next. But don't wanna get to far ahead of myself & as I've said I do think they could be a really good team in 2025-2026 if guys develop well.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Schedule is out. 3in3 second weekend of the yr, northern trip 5th weekend followed by an 8 game road trip that lasts from OCT 29th to NOV 16th (U17s) that ends with a 3in3. That sticks out as something that could be a impactful moment of the season. Gonna be an awfully tiring stretch. Let's hope we don't have what's becoming a yearly barrage of D injuries during that time lol.

Good thing about it is to start 2025 we get 5of6 at home which is nice post Christmas break/during WJCs/during trade deadline stuff. Also get 6 of 7 at home middle of February with 4 straight being vs divisional teams.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Some really tough stretches for this group pretty early too but if last year shows anything young teams come out of gate solid so if can pick up some Wins through Oct think can set tone for a solid 1st half to a much better schedulled back half of season.

Still think some moves will be made to get us little more excited this year.

Predicting a huge jump for Barr to take over top PP unit and top 4 pairing, some size for Hurt will make our back end top 2 in league by christmas.
Bridgewater and O'toole/Anderson round the out the 7

Upfront is where we might see the changes of scenery or even in the crease.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Some really tough stretches for this group pretty early too but if last year shows anything young teams come out of gate solid so if can pick up some Wins through Oct think can set tone for a solid 1st half to a much better schedulled back half of season.

Still think some moves will be made to get us little more excited this year.

Predicting a huge jump for Barr to take over top PP unit and top 4 pairing, some size for Hurt will make our back end top 2 in league by christmas.
Bridgewater and O'toole/Anderson round the out the 7

Upfront is where we might see the changes of scenery or even in the crease.
You think Sarina’s D-core is going to be in the Top 2 at some point this year?

• Wow

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
You think Sarina’s D-core is going to be in the Top 2 at some point this year?
Yes IF the summer is good to players need some size on Fischer and hurt and then young and Barr will be up there for offensive guys this year. The last 2 spots will be so much improved and who knows What DS has up his sleeve.
Some good guys could be moved upfront as well.
I'm excited again after a tough year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I wouldn't say top 2. Pretty young to be that elite. I do think it can be above average, but comes down the summers guys have. Very excited about the potential of a Fischer/Barr/Hurt/Young top-4.

But hopefully in the coming years (after this one) it can be a legitimate top tier group. But I'd love to be surprised & it happen this yr haha.

Reactions: frontsfan67

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
There are 4 players on sting I'd like to see get drafted this month.

Fischer
Chartier
Young
Wainwright

Just would boost Buzz core right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad