Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Well that was entertaining. Shocked beyond belief how awful London played. 1 shot thru 30 minutes. Somehow only had 10 when they tied it. Big game jitters? Worst night for a dud? Whatever it was it happened at the worst possible time.

Testament to how good they were though that they somehow were still tied in the mem cup final in the 3rd while playing a horrific game.

Gotta be a bitter pill to swallow to have to shake saginaw's hands while they win the trophy when they eliminated them a month ago. But that's part of the beauty of the mem cup.

Saginaw was a great team. I think most would agree LDN is the better team as we saw that all year + playoffs but on this night they were a determined bunch. Played a helluva game. Congrats to them.

Yah it is what it is. I hate it. But it's how it has to be done. I'd love if it was like Jr B where the top 4 teams play then the final 2 play a series to determine who the best is, but I see why they don't do that.
Great point... I remember when Sarnia won the Sutherland cup they had a round robin then a final series vs Elmira.... Also did you notice the guy behind the Knights bench with a Sting jersey lol

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Great point... I remember when Sarnia won the Sutherland cup they had a round robin then a final series vs Elmira.... Also did you notice the guy behind the Knights bench with a Sting jersey lol
There were a few Sting jerseys there all week. Only time we'll ever see a Sting jersey at the mem cup hahah.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well that does it for another Jr season. See if Seca pulls the trigger on any early summer deals. He's shown he likes doing it. Month out from import draft, too.

Excited to see the team next year. Think they'll be an exciting, but super young team.

Cheers for another fun season on here. 🍻🍻

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Well that was entertaining. Shocked beyond belief how awful London played. 1 shot thru 30 minutes. Somehow only had 10 when they tied it. Big game jitters? Worst night for a dud? Whatever it was it happened at the worst possible time.

Testament to how good they were though that they somehow were still tied in the mem cup final in the 3rd while playing a horrific game.

Gotta be a bitter pill to swallow to have to shake saginaw's hands while they win the trophy when they eliminated them a month ago. But that's part of the beauty of the mem cup.

Saginaw was a great team. I think most would agree LDN is the better team as we saw that all year + playoffs but on this night they were a determined bunch. Played a helluva game. Congrats to them.

Yah it is what it is. I hate it. But it's how it has to be done. I'd love if it was like Jr B where the top 4 teams play then the final 2 play a series to determine who the best is, but I see why they don't do that.
Double knockout would be cool aswell. If Moose Jaw won in the semis they would have to beat saginaw again to move on. And saginaw would have to beat London twice in the finals to win it and London would only have to win the one game. A series at the end of the tournament just isn’t possible, too many people travel and stay in hotels for the tournament. That would take wayyy too long to complete.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Hughston Hurt and his dad were sitting behind londons bench for the London vs Moose Jaw game and his dad had his Sting jersey on. It was probably them again.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Flint adds another player. They've given up 16 picks today. Four 2nds, four 3rds, two 4ths & three 5ths included. That's bananas. On the first day the window is open to trade lmao.

Guess they are gonna force it. I like the players they got but I do question spending that many picks & not adding an elite top line player out of it.

Still have plenty of ammo left though. They passed on adding with a much better roster 2 years ago to accumulate these picks. See how it works for them.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Flint adds another player. They've given up 16 picks today. Four 2nds, four 3rds, two 4ths & three 5ths included. That's bananas. On the first day the window is open to trade lmao.

Guess they are gonna force it. I like the players they got but I do question spending that many picks & not adding an elite top line player out of it.

Still have plenty of ammo left though. They passed on adding with a much better roster 2 years ago to accumulate these picks. See how it works for them.
Thibodeau will put up 80+ points this year 100% and could be back next year too since he’s undersized and because of that may not get drafted

Reactions: Section5Petes

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Flint will be the easy favorite now in the division. Probably not done either considering there aggressiveness this early lol.

Gotta add more especially up front to be considered a legit contender IMO, but certainly better than SAR/WSR while SSM/SAG likely sell off to recoup what they spent this yr.

As I've said the conference to me is pretty weak. Erie & LDN are 1-2 for me. Flint now 3rd. After that? Your guess is as good as mine.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Flint will be the easy favorite now in the division. Probably not done either considering there aggressiveness this early lol.

Gotta add more especially up front to be considered a legit contender IMO, but certainly better than SAR/WSR while SSM/SAG likely sell off to recoup what they spent this yr.

As I've said the conference to me is pretty weak. Erie & LDN are 1-2 for me. Flint now 3rd. After that? Your guess is as good as mine.
Ya London could be a powerhouse again or could lose some key guys. Who knows if Cowan comes back as a 19 year old, I would send him back. Some people think Dickinson could be gone too. If both those guys come back and the goalie they drafted very high in last years draft pans out they will be scary again. They will fill those holes of the couple guys leaving with younger guys and maybe a small trade or two and be ready to contend again.

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
I really don’t see Erie as a top 2 in the conference next year… what am I missing?

Knights on the other hand …

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ya London could be a powerhouse again or could lose some key guys. Who knows if Cowan comes back as a 19 year old, I would send him back. Some people think Dickinson could be gone too. If both those guys come back and the goalie they drafted very high in last years draft pans out they will be scary again. They will fill those holes of the couple guys leaving with younger guys and maybe a small trade or two and be ready to contend again.
Yah London will be 55 wins good if they get guys back. But they could lose Cowan Dickinson Haltunnen Julien to go with Edward George. That would destroy their season. I'm guessing Cowan is back. Dickinson depends the spot imo.

Erie should be good. They return Fimis, Alfano, Molnar, Terrence, Edwards, Spence at F. That's a quality T6. + New import & 1st rounder. On D they return Sova, Daviault, Sauder & Schaefer. That's a solid T4 & Schaefer is gonna take a big jump. Goaltending totally up in the air again.

After those two I think maybe Owen sound would be the leading candidate because Barlow MVP level, George arguably best goalie. But the depth isn't great & they've underperformed significantly b2b years.

Windsor should be able to fill the net. A ton. T9 could be unbelievable if Nesbitt takes a step & Belchetz is legit. D is weak again as is goalie.

SAG & KIT return quality players & could finish top 5 but gotta think they sell off to recoup assets. Soo bit weaker then them but also probably selling. Guelph will be mediocre.

Hopeful Sarnia can be solid but a ton of youth so TBD on a lot of fronts.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Yah London will be 55 wins good if they get guys back. But they could lose Cowan Dickinson Haltunnen Julien to go with Edward George. That would destroy their season. I'm guessing Cowan is back. Dickinson depends the spot imo.

Erie should be good. They return Fimis, Alfano, Molnar, Terrence, Edwards, Spence at F. That's a quality T6. + New import & 1st rounder. On D they return Sova, Daviault, Sauder & Schaefer. That's a solid T4 & Schaefer is gonna take a big jump. Goaltending totally up in the air again.

After those two I think maybe Owen sound would be the leading candidate because Barlow MVP level, George arguably best goalie. But the depth isn't great & they've underperformed significantly b2b years.

Windsor should be able to fill the net. A ton. T9 could be unbelievable if Nesbitt takes a step & Belchetz is legit. D is weak again as is goalie.

SAG & KIT return quality players & could finish top 5 but gotta think they sell off to recoup assets. Soo bit weaker then them but also probably selling. Guelph will be mediocre.

Hopeful Sarnia can be solid but a ton of youth so TBD on a lot of fronts.
I think Cowan Dickinson and haltunen will be back the other three probably not.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think Cowan Dickinson and haltunen will be back the other three probably not.
Is it opposite day?

Cowan likely to make leafs. Dickinson may make NHL based off size, skill, quickness and defensive abilities, haltunen is eligible for the AHL and after a good regular season here, excellent playoffs and one of the better players for the knights in the mem cup. Gotta think he’s not back for sure.

Of those 3 I think Dickinson is most likely to be back but he should get a good stint in the nhl at the very least.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Is it opposite day?

Cowan likely to make leafs. Dickinson may make NHL based off size, skill, quickness and defensive abilities, haltunen is eligible for the AHL and after a good regular season here, excellent playoffs and one of the better players for the knights in the mem cup. Gotta think he’s not back for sure.

Of those 3 I think Dickinson is most likely to be back but he should get a good stint in the nhl at the very least.
Lol I was just typing this... I would not be shocked if Dickinson makes the NHL. IMO he is a lot better NHL prospect than Parekh. Halttunen is AHL almost no doubt. We could see a situation where Cowan is sent back at the Jr's like Wright.... who knows.... A lot is up in the air with LDN... I personally think they should be ready for many guys not to return for once..... None of LDN's top players will develop any more in the OHL. The only guy I see coming back for sure is Barkey.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Cowan has things to work on. He didn't have a good WJCs either. Could 100% seeing them doing what Seattle did. Stretch the 9 games then send him back at WJCs.

Dickinson to me matters what team. If they are weak on D he could 100% make them. If there's only 1 spot available they'd probably just send him back to keep developing + WJCs then have him be in/out the lineup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Cowan has things to work on. He didn't have a good WJCs either. Could 100% seeing them doing what Seattle did. Stretch the 9 games then send him back at WJCs.
I think Cowan was the hardest working kid in the league the past two seasons. Anything the leafs coaches tell him he needs to work on, might be worked out before he can be sent back to the OHL.
Dickinson to me matters what team. If they are weak on D he could 100% make them. If there's only 1 spot available they'd probably just send him back to keep developing + WJCs then have him be in/out the lineup.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

I feel like there will be a lot of pressure from the fans on leafs brass to keep Cowan up. Cowan seems to be a very popular prospect. Leafs do need an injection of youth on that roster. I personally hate the thought of sending guys down after 10 games... 10 games isnt enough and the player will likely press and force things. Almost like you need to make the team twice.....Cowan had letang as the WJ coach so ill give him a pass there.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Lol I was just typing this... I would not be shocked if Dickinson makes the NHL. IMO he is a lot better NHL prospect than Parekh.
I agree he is a way more well rounded player and he’s much bigger. Much more projectable. Only question is how good will he be in the NHL.
Halttunen is AHL almost no doubt. We could see a situation where Cowan is sent back at the Jr's like Wright.... who knows....
I agree. That is a possibility. One of the big reasons he will make leafs imo is his 2 way game and speed. He may not play top 6 but I definitely could see him being a 3rd line player, and he would be a very cheap one too.
A lot is up in the air with LDN... I personally think they should be ready for many guys not to return for once.....
yes. Even guys like Julien and George I could see making the AHL. I think Edwards is back and maybe Gazizov too if he doesn’t get a pro contract somewhere
None of LDN's top players will develop any more in the OHL. The only guy I see coming back for sure is Barkey.
Barkey will be a different animal next year.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I feel like there will be a lot of pressure from the fans on leafs brass to keep Cowan up. Cowan seems to be a very popular prospect. Leafs do need an injection of youth on that roster. I personally hate the thought of sending guys down after 10 games... 10 games isnt enough and the player will likely press and force things. Almost like you need to make the team twice.....Cowan had letang as the WJ coach so ill give him a pass there.
If Leafs don’t trade Marner or Tavares, Cowan may make the team out of Cap necessity…

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Is it opposite day?

Idk Toronto will have to make room for Cowan and news just came out that tavares and marner are finishing their final year of their contract in Toronto and they will run it back with that core. They have a shit tone of good forwards already not sure you need to rush him if he’s borderline ready, I would send him back. Dickinson I would send back because it’s a lot harder for defenceman to make the jump especially 18 year old defenceman, I agree he has size and all the tools but there is no rush, and haltunen will only be a 19 year old he had a very average year only point per game on an absolute powerhouse offensive team. Yes great playoffs but again why rush him. Id send Cowan back due to the long jam, Dickinson due to only being a 18 year old defenceman, and haltunen because he had a average season and there is more potential there he could untap all next season in London. Never rush these kids.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
How many 18 year old drafted defenseman make the NHL in their draft year, I'm waiting?

Dickinson will be back.
lol Sting fans know that Chychrun was one..... also I'm pretty sure Jamie Drysdale was one too.... maybe Dhalin.... maybe Ekblad.... it's not a stretch if the team needs defence and the kid is a stud.... which Dickinson is.... I don't think anyone said he was for sure going to the NHL next year .... he might tho.... No one knows so to talk in certainties is odd.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Idk Toronto will have to make room for Cowan and news just came out that tavares and marner are finishing their final year of their contract in Toronto and they will run it back with that core. They have a shit tone of good forwards already not sure you need to rush him if he’s borderline ready, I would send him back. Dickinson I would send back because it’s a lot harder for defenceman to make the jump especially 18 year old defenceman, I agree he has size and all the tools but there is no rush, and haltunen will only be a 19 year old he had a very average year only point per game on an absolute powerhouse offensive team. Yes great playoffs but again why rush him. Id send Cowan back due to the long jam, Dickinson due to only being a 18 year old defenceman, and haltunen because he had a average season and there is more potential there he could untap all next season in London. Never rush these kids.
I'm with ya.... It's going to be a tough call for Cowan and I could see either situation happening. I think Haltunen is gone only because he qualifies for the AHL. I think SJ will want him in the A. You're absolutely right.... I didn't notice Haltunen at all when Sarnia played LDN. If LDN brings back Cowan, Dickinson, Hahtunen, Barkey, Bonk, Julien ect.... they're going to challenge the 05 as the best Knights team ever... It will be interesting to see what happens..... I'll say one more thing that Memorial cup was amazing hockey and no doubt the CHL is far superior to the NCAA.

Reactions: howler2 and OSA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad