Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
lol Sting fans know that Chychrun was one..... also I'm pretty sure Jamie Drysdale was one too.... maybe Dhalin.... maybe Ekblad.... it's not a stretch if the team needs defence and the kid is a stud.... which Dickinson is.... I don't think anyone said he was for sure going to the NHL next year .... he might tho.... No one knows so to talk in certainties is odd.
Exactly. I 100% could see him ending up like Jakub chyrcrun. Exactly who I think of when I see Dickinson.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I'm with ya.... It's going to be a tough call for Cowan and I could see either situation happening. I think Haltunen is gone only because he qualifies for the AHL. I think SJ will want him in the A. You're absolutely right.... I didn't notice Haltunen at all when Sarnia played LDN. If LDN brings back Cowan, Dickinson, Hahtunen, Barkey, Bonk, Julien ect.... they're going to challenge the 05 as the best Knights team ever... It will be interesting to see what happens..... I'll say one more thing that Memorial cup was amazing hockey and no doubt the CHL is far superior to the NCAA.
I can’t see Julien coming back for his OA season, I think he will be in AHL.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
lol Sting fans know that Chychrun was one..... also I'm pretty sure Jamie Drysdale was one too.... maybe Dhalin.... maybe Ekblad.... it's not a stretch if the team needs defence and the kid is a stud.... which Dickinson is.... I don't think anyone said he was for sure going to the NHL next year .... he might tho.... No one knows so to talk in certainties is odd.
Ha Ha, I will give you a 1% chance it happens because it happened 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years.
That is why I'm all in that he will return to the OHL.
Once in awhile you have to shove all your chips into the pot because the odds are very low you are wrong, but it does happen.
Now he is a very good player but not quite NHL ready and even if he did make it why have him play an occasional game as a 7th D when he can get top minutes in the O? Next year a different convo I'm sure.

Anyways enjoy the friendly banter, be safe.

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Ha Ha, I will give you a 1% chance it happens because it happened 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years.
That is why I'm all in that he will return to the OHL.
Once in awhile you have to shove all your chips into the pot because the odds are very low you are wrong, but it does happen.
Now he is a very good player but not quite NHL ready and even if he did make it why have him play an occasional game as a 7th D when he can get top minutes in the O? Next year a different convo I'm sure.

Anyways enjoy the friendly banter, be safe.
lol again I think it's happened more I just didn't look it up. If he goes to a team like Montreal he's already better than most defenceman they have now..... in my opinion. If I had to bet I'd say yes he's back but id give it way more than 1 percent he's not.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

2nd overall U18 pick Jonathan Kapageridis signs with the Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL for the 24-25 season. Good move IMO. We've got a big logjam on defence next year. It allows him to get consistent minutes in a familiar place. We do have to get him signed to a contract so he doesn't take off for the NCAA like some prospects have in the past

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

2nd overall U18 pick Jonathan Kapageridis signs with the Cobourg Cougars of the OJHL for the 24-25 season. Good move IMO. We've got a big logjam on defence next year. It allows him to get consistent minutes in a familiar place. We do have to get him signed to a contract so he doesn't take off for the NCAA like some prospects have in the past
At rookie camp he said he had a few options but wanted to make the Sting. So might see him come to camp & if he can crack starting 6, sign & if he can't then go NCAA.

We have so many D so he'd have to have a good showing. See how it plays out.

Bridgewater won his teams award for best Dman. I'm really high on him. Think he could be a really dynamic, high PT Dman if he pans out. Might be the guy im most looking forward to seeing at camp.

See how Andersen, O'Toole, Omeri look as well. Would love if O'Toole panned out because of his love of hitting, haha.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
At rookie camp he said he had a few options but wanted to make the Sting. So might see him come to camp & if he can crack starting 6, sign & if he can't then go NCAA.

We have so many D so he'd have to have a good showing. See how it plays out.

Bridgewater won his teams award for best Dman. I'm really high on him. Think he could be a really dynamic, high PT Dman if he pans out. Might be the guy im most looking forward to seeing at camp.

See how Andersen, O'Toole, Omeri look as well. Would love if O'Toole panned out because of his love of hitting, haha.
why did they need to sign so many d last year? what do they have 8 returning? the kid from cobourg had everyone talking about him, he looks legit but may not come if there isnt room, hes better then both otoole and anderson by far.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
why did they need to sign so many d last year? what do they have 8 returning? the kid from cobourg had everyone talking about him, he looks legit but may not come if there isnt room, hes better then both otoole and anderson by far.
Went into the season with Barr/Hurt/LeBlanc/Omeri/Fischer/Young/MacDonald as their 7.

Signed Bridgewater after camp. Then traded LeBlanc, Barr had a season ending injury, MacDonald had a season ending injury, Bridgewater got hurt & then Cajkovic had a nasty injury.

So they were down Dmen. Only had 3 at one time so brought Andersen up & he surprised everyone with his play. Signed him. They never actually officially signed O'Toole. Idk how all that worked but they never put anything out to say he was signed.

Seca is a big believer in you can never have enough depth on D. Probably played a part, but they also got shoved into a corner with a barrage of injuries all at once post trade deadline.

I've mentioned before tho what you said. Gonna be hard to convince US kids or Kapageridis to sign when we have so many D signed. Im guessing Omeri gets traded for an opportunity to play more, O'Toole would have to have a good camp to stay. Bridgewater I think will be a regular (could be wrong) so leaves 1 spot for Andersen/Kapageridis & whoever else emerges or gets brought on.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Doesn't a player have to be signed before they can play a game?
OHL4Life probably knows more than I haha. I have no clue how it all works. I figured maybe guys could be an emergency call up if you are hammered by injuries without a contract but then he stayed for 8 games.

They never posted about him signing. Which they've never done before if he was signed.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Went into the season with Barr/Hurt/LeBlanc/Omeri/Fischer/Young/MacDonald as their 7.

Signed Bridgewater after camp. Then traded LeBlanc, Barr had a season ending injury, MacDonald had a season ending injury, Bridgewater got hurt & then Cajkovic had a nasty injury.

So they were down Dmen. Only had 3 at one time so brought Andersen up & he surprised everyone with his play. Signed him. They never actually officially signed O'Toole. Idk how all that worked but they never put anything out to say he was signed.

Seca is a big believer in you can never have enough depth on D. Probably played a part, but they also got shoved into a corner with a barrage of injuries all at once post trade deadline.
instead of signing anderson why not just call up schnieder? saves you a contact and opens up a better opportunity for u16/u18 guys, unless anderson gets cut next year?

OHL4Life probably knows more than I haha. I have no clue how it all works. I figured maybe guys could be an emergency call up if you are hammered by injuries without a contract but then he stayed for 8 games.

They never posted about him signing. Which they've never done before if he was signed
Doesn't a player have to be signed before they can play a game?
not always, he just played a game, so he may have got a year of schooling. there are times when a player can agree to not get a school package and get a fee instead, like the eergancy goalie situation. windsor called up kids all the time from the jrb team, they probably got $500 per game or something.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
instead of signing anderson why not just call up schnieder? saves you a contact and opens up a better opportunity for u16/u18 guys, unless anderson gets cut next year?

not always, he just played a game, so he may have got a year of schooling. there are times when a player can agree to not get a school package and get a fee instead, like the eergancy goalie situation. windsor called up kids all the time from the jrb team, they probably got $500 per game or something.
Guessing they just viewed Andersen as apart of the future and wanted to see him get games since we were out of it.

Not saying your wrong or I disagree. Just guessing that's how they viewed it.

See if Kapageridis commits anywhere by August or if he comes to camp to make the team first.

Appreciate all your insight/info this season! Enjoy the off season 🍻

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fischer performing well in the combine stuff. Tells yah he's been putting in the work. He has things to work on (decision making, consistent effort) but I can't wait to see what he looks like the next 2 seasons.

Could be a true horse on the backend. Said it time & time again during the season but I haven't seen the Sting ask much more of a 17 yr old like they did for him this yr. Top pair, PP, PK, late game, 3on3 etc. all with rookie partners most of the time.

Hopefully he lands in a good spot!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Looks like Cajkovic has signed back in Europe. Wish him the best. Kid had brutal luck in his short time here.

Opens it up to use both picks. Definitely hoping for a F, preferably a bigger, dynamic C at 6 then I'd really debate taking a goalie with our 2nd pick.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Huge hole at RW need a dynamic import RW 1st import pick and import C second pick.
Goalies I think 50/50 with syrzicia and Chartier see how that goes.
Really need OA D if we want to be top 4 West team.
wouldnt be surprised if DS doesn't make few moves before camp open or free up some spots for healthy competitions at camp for spots.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Huge hole at RW need a dynamic import RW 1st import pick and import C second pick.
Goalies I think 50/50 with syrzicia and Chartier see how that goes.
Really need OA D if we want to be top 4 West team.
wouldnt be surprised if DS doesn't make few moves before camp open or free up some spots for healthy competitions at camp for spots.
You guys have some really good pieces to build around but I don't think this is reasonable expectation for this upcoming season. Guys like Brown, Kostuch, Wainwright should really carry their own in 2 years but I'd worry about offensive output next season. Something like 7th or 6th if guys develop well would be a great season IMO.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You guys have some really good pieces to build around but I don't think this is reasonable expectation for this upcoming season. Guys like Brown, Kostuch, Wainwright should really carry their own in 2 years but I'd worry about offensive output next season. Something like 7th or 6th if guys develop well would be a great season IMO.
I'm hoping they are battling for 5th solely because I see the conference being weaker than normal. Especially our division. But I agree. Goaltending will be a big wildcard for the team as well.

Congrats on the mem cup!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm hoping they are battling for 5th solely because I see the conference being weaker than normal. Especially our division. But I agree. Goaltending will be a big wildcard for the team as well.

Congrats on the mem cup!
everyone’s goaltending other then Owen sound and maybe guelph will probably have questions

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
everyone’s goaltending other then Owen sound and maybe guelph will probably have questions
Yah part of why I view it as a weak conference. Outside those teams you said (I'd throw KIT in there w/Parsons) there is a ton of questions marks.

Not even sure who's 4th best? Maybe Oke or Day?

yacky

Jun 28, 2018
Yah part of why I view it as a weak conference. Outside those teams you said (I'd throw KIT in there w/Parsons) there is a ton of questions marks.

Not even sure who's 4th best? Maybe Oke or Day?
north bay not worried about goaltending

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad