Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I’m calling Zads for like $4.5 x6

I don’t know how they are doing this, but my guess in Zac’s is they call him and say, we want to win, do you? This is what we can allocate. Take it or leave it.
i say 4.3/5 or 4.4 if not move on from him and get petterson a winger. i wonder if garland would be moved?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
but he is slow... quite opposite of what alvin said at the end of the season presser. he wants speed.

And yet the rumour has them after Toffoli as a plan B....

I think Allvin is outlining a preference. An ideal. If they target two top6 wingers, one can satisfy speed (Stephenson) and the other skill (Toffoli), and that comment would still be upheld. I don't think it's meant to be ironclad.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
And yet the rumour has them after Toffoli as a plan B.... I think Allvin is outlining a preference. An ideal. Whether he's able to secure that ideal is an entirely different matter.
Plan A. guenztel. plan B:duclair debrusk zucker etc right now the canucks cap is $12,990,833 per puckpedia. 15 including ltir.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleach Clean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I just can't see the Canucks being in on Guentzel, despite all the rumors. I mean the expectation is he'll command upwards of $9m a season on a long term deal.

They already have Miller and Pettersson signed to expensive long term deals. And a deal for Quinn Hughes will come sooner rather than later.

I just don't see how they can make the cap conundrum work. I'd rather see them try to acquire somebody who's younger like Necas or Laine.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
Plan A. guenztel. plan B:duclair debrusk zucker etc right now the canucks cap is $12,990,833 per puckpedia. 15 including ltir.
Signing players with an ability to drive play and take some burden off your main stars, and having some good individual talent is what you want. Not a bunch of odds and ends that will give you ~40pts and cost you 5M with term attached. We just got rid of one.

IF one of those players came on a 1yr, that’s fine. Any more, and you’re slated for mediocrity. I’d rather look at a Skinner, Perron, Tarasenko type than locking to term and money. And then wait for the right player to come along.

Don’t spend stupid money if you don’t want to have stupid mistakes to fix.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I'm really intrigued by this so-called pivot on goaltending strategy that Dhaliwal and Drance are reporting on. What's up with that?

Maybe there is more to Demko's health than has been discussed?

Or, maybe they sense the back-up goalie market is saturated and DeSmith could be left without a seat—and therefore can be re-signed for a bargain.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Supposedly Guentzel is resigning with Carolina today 8 years and around 8.8M per year.

The magic of the 8th year brings the cap hit down and gets the deal done and easily beats the rumoured Canucks 7 year 9.5M offer.

If people think Lindholm is too old at 29 to receive a 8 year offer, Guentzel is 29.

At 28, Reinhart is apparently resigning 8 years at 9.5M in Florida.

Canucks should circle back to Lindholm cause the top 6 forward market is about to get slim.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not good at all if the two big fish remain where they are and Lindholm walks. This team suddenly looks thin up front if that happens, unless they make a trade.

Toffoli alone won't cut it and we likely have to overpay/overterm his deal.

See how much Columbus is willing to retain on Laine. Might be worth the gamble.
I would absolutely take this risk. If Laine even returns to 25-30 goal form, that goes a very long way.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Supposedly Guentzel is resigning with Carolina today 8 years and around 8.8M per year.

The magic of the 8th year brings the cap hit down and gets the deal done and easily beats the rumoured Canucks 7 year 9.5M offer.

If people think Lindholm is too old at 29 to receive a 8 year offer, Guentzel is 29.

At 28, Reinhart is apparently resigning 8 years at 9.5M in Florida.

Canucks should circle back to Lindholm cause the top 6 forward market is about to get slim.
I’ll believe Guentzel re-signing with Carolina when I see it.

I think there are plenty of teams willing to offer Guentzel more than $70m over only 7 years. Vancouver included.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If we have to wait until the deadline to get a top 6 forward I'm fine with that.

Price is a big factor, but I think it’s key we get someone to play with Petey sooner rather than later. I’m fine if we go a discounted route rather than breaking the bank, but he needs some guys who can score on his wings.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On an Abbotsford note…I wonder if the Canucks may have any interest in Dakota Joshua’s younger brother Jagger? Abbotsford could use some size in their lineup, Jermaine Loewen was not the answer last year.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If they can't land a big fish, I suppose they could try EP centering Joshua and Garland, and then filling out the roster with two affordable 3rd liners and a bolstered blue line (Zad and Tanev/Carrier?) They would be an equal or weaker team up front with Lindholm gone, but arguably a better defensive team than last year.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I’ll believe Guentzel re-signing with Carolina when I see it.

I think there are plenty of teams willing to offer Guentzel more than $70m over only 7 years. Vancouver included.
But Carolina would only have to offer 8.9M x 8 year to better an offer of 10M X 7 years in total dollars.

Plus Carolina has lower taxes.

I think the point is that teams act strategically to keep their own UFAs using term to beat the competition.

If the Canucks don't, they will have to trade assets to acquire a top 6, thereby weakening themselves in other positions.

Canucks better get on this train with Lindholm or the team will be appreciably worse than the team we saw in the playoffs.

All because they won't offer 8 years.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If they can’t land the expensive guys, they’ll probably spend up on the right-side defense, and you’ll need to add at least one top six forward regardless heading into the season to replace Mikheyev’s spot. Then just focus on depth.

I’m still mixed if even then they bring Zadorov back with Dillon hanging out there at a cheaper price.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If we have to wait until the deadline to get a top 6 forward I'm fine with that.

Price is a big factor, but I think it’s key we get someone to play with Petey sooner rather than later. I’m fine if we go a discounted route rather than breaking the bank, but he needs some guys who can score on his wings.
The problem is the Canucks are an asset strapped team and will have a very hard time outbidding other teams for any top talent like Tkachuk.

Like, do we think the Canucks would trade their 2025 first or either of Leketimakki or Willander?

Reactions: Baby Pettersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad