Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Wheeler, drafting is the first step in development and unfortunately most of the scouts couldn't tell a good goalie from a bad one because they are too lazy. They follow the hype, noise and stats for the most part. Hughes played behind a pretty good London team where his drop and block style worked well. Not so much now.
I never suggested that Sarnia should have played Hughes over Fazio. There is a distinct, visible development curve for goalies, unfortunately the CHL's win at all costs disrupts the process. Young goalies need to be exposed to high tempo team practices to get accustomed to the speed, work with goalie coach in controlled setting to improve technique and play in games where they have chance for success.
I am familiar with Hughes, not so much with Sarnia but from following the league I didn't see that kind of progression taken with Hughes early on in his career.
I use to be a goalie, played AAA and some Jr and went through the whole "scouting" process, I think you're right about scouts being lazy, imo other than the top, obvious good players, they don't know much. I had a buddy who played goalie for the Sting, in the very bad days, and he mentioned the same thing, there is no support from the team to develop goalies, but the OHL is not a farm team for the NHL. I think if the NHL had more control over the CHL like they do AHL you would see more development. Sarnia had no incentive to start Hughes last year, they're a business and needed to win. just my opinion, I may be wrong.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
If Sarnia doesn't plan on addressing this problem they should just name Langevin the #1. Give him some much needed game reps in the net. At this point no one really knows what he is.... let him prove what he is this season if they don't bring in a guy.
I think they should bring in a decent vet who can win some games for the team, to kind of mold him, but still give him a decent amount of games

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Sting badly need one of their two goalies to step up and play adequately on a regular basis .

Each goalie is letting in 2 to 3 beach balls in most games and it’s totally deflating the team which is working hard .
You can see the body language of the players change when those bad goals go in .
The starter doesn’t have to be great , only adequate to give the team a chance . An .850 save percentage or whatever it is these guys are now sporting doesn’t cut it .

Hatcher will have to do something about this if one of these guys doesn’t step up or he could have a mutiny on his hands .

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
this isn't just a goalie thing. The defence is horrendous. Eliot is the best one, and he is good...not great but average. Hatcher is my second choice. He has stepped up and plays within his ability. He makes mistakes but less than Grima who is on paper rated higher. I see guys who are not playing F and D. When a goalie lets in so many weak goals, it is easy to see how they deflate. Come back and then lose the lead. A good coach can teach players to atleast play positional hockey.
Do we have a good coach? And do we have a good GM? A good coach can bring out the best in average players. My thoughts are they are average leaders, with subpar results. And that is how the team is playing average with guys who don't want to be here. You can yell and scream all you want on the bench, but if you don't teach...you won't win.

Reactions: The Howler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Idk,
this isn't just a goalie thing. The defence is horrendous. Eliot is the best one, and he is good...not great but average. Hatcher is my second choice. He has stepped up and plays within his ability. He makes mistakes but less than Grima who is on paper rated higher. I see guys who are not playing F and D. When a goalie lets in so many weak goals, it is easy to see how they deflate. Come back and then lose the lead. A good coach can teach players to atleast play positional hockey.
Do we have a good coach? And do we have a good GM? A good coach can bring out the best in average players. My thoughts are they are average leaders, with subpar results. And that is how the team is playing average with guys who don't want to be here. You can yell and scream all you want on the bench, but if you don't teach...you won't win.
Idk I’ve seen absolutely garbage goals in every game that a bantam goalie could stop lol, langevin has an excuse he’s real young and very inexperienced, Hughes doesn’t have an excuse... trade him with an OA for a decent tender than can be steady not great , and a draft pick

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Has anyone noticed that the 67s are best in the league, at 18-3-3, and have only ONE overager and 5 ‘99s. They ought to be buyers at the deadline.
Hope that our gm can work up some sort of deal to strengthen for the future. Perhaps Eliot might bring the best return... otherwise, McGregor? Josling?
I’m not sure Sproviero has much value outside the sarnia market, and Salinitri is so full of self-pity lately that his value is falling rapidly.
Sell Sell Sell

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Has anyone noticed that the 67s are best in the league, at 18-3-3, and have only ONE overager and 5 ‘99s. They ought to be buyers at the deadline.
Hope that our gm can work up some sort of deal to strengthen for the future. Perhaps Eliot might bring the best return... otherwise, McGregor? Josling?
I’m not sure Sproviero has much value outside the sarnia market, and Salinitri is so full of self-pity lately that his value is falling rapidly.
Sell Sell Sell
Maybe we can get some of our own picks back...

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
after last night, it looks like we don't need a goalie afterall. it appears the team is back on track... and Hughes is a stalwart between the pipes.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Perrault has the most points out of all 2002 players ... pretty good for a guy that almost went in the 2nd round.​

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
after last night, it looks like we don't need a goalie afterall. it appears the team is back on track... and Hughes is a stalwart between the pipes.
Yeah, except for the 20-second span in the 3rd, when last week’s Hughes showed up, he was very good all night. His stops on a deflection around the middle of the second period, and his stop on the breakaway a few minutes later are the kind of plays that keep your team’s momentum. Been a long time since the sting have gone into the third period with a zero on the opponents board.

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Yeah, except for the 20-second span in the 3rd, when last week’s Hughes showed up, he was very good all night. His stops on a deflection around the middle of the second period, and his stop on the breakaway a few minutes later are the kind of plays that keep your team’s momentum. Been a long time since the sting have gone into the third period with a zero on the opponents board.

Last time a Sting opponent went into the 3rd with a 0 on the board was 9/22 (Opening Night) in Saginaw. The score was 3-0 after 2 and the final score was 6-2.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Hughes was solid in the first two periods and the first part of the 3rd. He was confident and his body was steady, not much movement. Then he got scored on, a very good shot, but he could have saved it. After that goal, he was moving around allot more. You could see his confidence was rattled. From my angle, I couldn't tell if he should have had the 2nd goal or not, however, you could see his confidence had dropped just on his body movement.

As someone previously mentioned, I think a sports physiologist could be a great help for him. Help him keep his confidence. As I said multiple times, Hughes' only issue is his confidence. He was stellar until the 1st goal on him.

As for the rest of the team, They played a great first two periods on Saturday, but stopped skating after Eliot's SH goal at the beginning of the 3rd. It was also nice to see that Hinz plays the same way for the Pete's as he did for the Sting. Yes, he was out there, trust me, I know it's hard to believe. Another solid game for Reesor. Now +11. Next best D-Man is Eliot at -1.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
This past weekend, goals scored by the WINNING teams were: 5,7,7,8,8,5,7,2,6,7,5,5,5,5,5,6,7,6,4.
With a couple exceptions, there are LOTS OF TEAMS that can’t keep the puck out of their nets.
Keeping the opposition to 4 GOALS would have resulted in 17 wins out of 19 games. Good Grief!!

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Did ya see what Niagara gave Kingston for Robertson? Wow.
I know we don’t have a Robertson level player on the roster but the sell off has begun out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad