Rumor: San Jose trying to trade Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Yes they would for two reasons. One, no team wants Kane. The Sharks were the only team that wanted him from Buffalo as a rental. Why would any of the issues that are current with Kane lead anyone to believe that the list of teams has expanded at this point? Two, even if you got one to do so, you can't simply isolate the cap differences and not include the cost to make a trade with another team. The Sharks shouldn't be trading picks and shouldn't be trading prospects. The Sharks have no expendable roster player that another team would be interested in that would cover the cost of having said team take Kane on even at 50% because he is simply too toxic.

Best case scenario for everyone involved is that the league cancels the contract, plain and simple.

Firstly, I always appreciate someone not involved with an org who has such certainty about what the org would or wouldn’t do.

While I agree the best possible outcome for the Sharks at this point is that Kane’s contract is able to be voided, it’s not a certainty that will be an option.

I also would like to see the Sharks continue to retain their picks and prospects, but I could see some logic where it makes sense to move some assets to keep a cleaner cap in the long term. Asshat as he may be, if Kane is not found to have been gambling on NHL games, I’d think he’d have some value at $3.5M cap hit to the right team. Like, not a lot in the terms of a trade, and perhaps it would require some incentives from the Sharks end - but if Hoffman and Deangelo have a place in the league, I don’t see why a “cleared” Kane wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Firstly, I always appreciate someone not involved with an org who has such certainty about what the org would or wouldn’t do.

While I agree the best possible outcome for the Sharks at this point is that Kane’s contract is able to be voided, it’s not a certainty that will be an option.

I also would like to see the Sharks continue to retain their picks and prospects, but I could see some logic where it makes sense to move some assets to keep a cleaner cap in the long term. Asshat as he may be, if Kane is not found to have been gambling on NHL games, I’d think he’d have some value at $3.5M cap hit to the right team. Like, not a lot in the terms of a trade, and perhaps it would require some incentives from the Sharks end - but if Hoffman and Deangelo have a place in the league, I don’t see why a “cleared” Kane wouldn’t.

I’m sorry that the tone of my post offends your sensibilities but Kane has a significantly more checkered history and was already off everyone else’s list before he became a Shark and all the non-league investigation stuff became a thing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So Evander wears out his welcome with another team. What else is new.
San Jose might have to eat some of that $7m contract... aggravation & disruption factor.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I usually agree with you, but this time the numbers tell me a different story. If we did uy him out after arbitration hearings for Hill, the cap hits would be 1.8, 3.8, 2.8 then 4.8 followed by 1.8 x 4 more years. I could see the team preferring a 3.5 M x 4 then off the books for when we start extending Eklund and others.

Real money is a bit of a wash 14 M to retain 50%, 14. 6 M to buy out. I conclude that, if they need him gone and find a taker that would pay us to retain 50%, they could choose that route for a pair of 2nds or some such). Now, finding that dance partner may be problematic.....
Considering the team isn't contending, I'd imagine they'll wait on the off chance an investigation allows them to void Kane's contract rather than either buy him out or trade him with retention.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
So I take it having a strong leadership group wasnt the answer to Kane problems either. I defended Kane for a lot of crap, I still think some of the issues were overblown because people really wanted to hate the guy. He always seemed to give it his all on the ice, but at this point when you see this much smoke there's probably fires.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’m sorry that the tone of my post offends your sensibilities but Kane has a significantly more checkered history and was already off everyone else’s list before he became a Shark and all the non-league investigation stuff became a thing.
Thank you for that. Apology accepted.

I think checkered past and all, provided Kane is cleared of the gambling accusations (to be clear, being quite the documented gambler that he is, I’ll be in no way shocked if he gambled on NHL games), there will probably be some team that will take Kane’s 60ish point two-way game and try to mitigate his other aspects.

Odds are every team has a player or two that isn’t loved in their locker room. And all it takes is one team to believe “our environment is different, we have a strong enough leadership group, etc”

Of course I could be wrong. No one knows. Time will tell.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
HOLY SHIT GIMME GIMME GIMME

tenor.gif

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
I'd take Kane on the Flames in a heartbeat, just include the '22 and '23 first rounders and we're good to go.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
IF Kane is allowed to play following the new investigation, and IF he goes to and completes treatment for his gambling and whatever else, and IF he agrees to see a sports psychologist(which Kadri also needs to be doing), purely as a player, Kane would be the perfect complement to Kadri and Burakovsky in Colorado. Any trade would have to be dependent on the above and either salary retention or conditional picks based on games played. I'm aware of the risks, but purely as a player he's perfect for the Avs' second line.

Reactions: jetsforever

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015
He'd never waive to come here and even if he did there is no way Sutter would put up with his crap.

Who gives two shits if he plays or not, read the second half of my post as to why we trade for him.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Who gives two shits if he plays or not, read the second half of my post as to why we trade for him.
Have you seen anything from Treliving that shows he is looking to rebuild?
No way he is trading 7M/year in cap space for draft picks, if anything it would be the opposite with his trading picks away as usual.

Also, even though the owner spends to the cap he hasn't shown a willingness to throw away money, doubt he is approving 26 million in dead salary to get a couple of draft picks. That leaves the hope that his contract will be cancelled, if that seems likely to happen the Sharks won't be paying anything to dump him.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
No way he is trading 7M/year in cap space for draft picks, if anything it would be the opposite with his trading picks away as usual.

Also, even though the owner spends to the cap he hasn't shown a willingness to throw away money, doubt he is approving 26 million in dead salary to get a couple of draft picks. That leaves the hope that his contract will be cancelled, if that seems likely to happen the Sharks won't be paying anything to dump him.
What about the Flames spending to the cap limit shows the Flames owner is an expert on not wasting money?

JPeeper

Jan 4, 2015

I see you don't understand the premise of the trade.

San Jose is a dumpster fire of a team. Their picks will be top 5 in the next two drafts of which '23 has generational players.

$28 million for Wright/Lambert + Bedard/Michkov is money well spent.

It's a moot point anyway 'cause San Jose ain't trading those picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad