• Eli Barnett

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You know the drill. Age cutoff 25, NHL games played cutoff 40. Poll will close after 2 days unless the results are incredibly lopsided.

1. Macklin Celebrini ~95%
2. Will Smith ~90%
3. Sam Dickinson ~95%
4. Quentin Musty ~49%
5. Shakir Mukhamadullin ~77%
6. Igor Chernyshov ~39%

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Among the 4 that were seriously considered in the last thread, Halttunen stands out like a sore thumb in a bad way. None of them are that far apart in terms of size and league and age-adjusted scoring rates, but the other 3 purportedly are multi-dimensional players who bring more to the table than just scoring. Halttunen is not. And as Hodge said in the previous thread, even if Halttunen hits near the very peak of his upside, that's not an especially valuable player in today's NHL.

I don't know enough about Edstrom/Bystedt to compare the two. I guess I'll just go Bystedt on account of him having done well in the AHL. But Halttunen should be clearly behind both of them IMO.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Among the 4 that were seriously considered in the last thread, Halttunen stands out like a sore thumb in a bad way. None of them are that far apart in terms of size and league and age-adjusted scoring rates, but the other 3 purportedly are multi-dimensional players who bring more to the table than just scoring. Halttunen is not. And as Hodge said in the previous thread, even if Halttunen hits near the very peak of his upside, that's not an especially valuable player in today's NHL.

I don't know enough about Edstrom/Bystedt to compare the two. I guess I'll just go Bystedt on account of him having done well in the AHL. But Halttunen should be clearly behind both of them IMO.
I disagree. Halttunen has the scoring figured out, he’s getting his body in shape, and is starting to contribute in other ways. The kid is young and has plenty of upside in my opinion.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Since I responded to Hodge in the last thread just as it became old news, I may as well paste that same comment here to continue the discussion on Halttunen in a more active place:

Halttunen just turned 19 so I'd say it's a little premature to act like his story is already written. A lot of prospects who transition from attacking-only projects to more complete (or at least playable, well-rounded enough) players do so only in their young 20s once they finally realize they have to change their game. Or they just, you know, start to grow up more.

That may or may not be Halttunen. If I were betting, I'd definitely put money on Edstrom having a longer NHL career. But the combination of potentially elite skill and good size is one that's really alluring for Halttunen.

Also, as we look at the ways in which the top prospects of this club may start to come together to form a nucleus, you're going to have room for a wide variety of players. Not everyone is going to have to have Celebrini's mentality to make it. Kevin Labanc was a pretty damn useful player for a time, when deployed with the right linemates in the right situations. It's just too bad that the guy who helped make it click for him was 39 years old and in his last productive season. Halttunen might find a situation that works for him with the Sharks, but with others who are more age-appropriate.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Since I responded to Hodge in the last thread just as it became old news, I may as well paste that same comment here to continue the discussion on Halttunen in a more active place:

Halttunen just turned 19 so I'd say it's a little premature to act like his story is already written. A lot of prospects who transition from attacking-only projects to more complete (or at least playable, well-rounded enough) players do so only in their young 20s once they finally realize they have to change their game. Or they just, you know, start to grow up more.

That may or may not be Halttunen. If I were betting, I'd definitely put money on Edstrom having a longer NHL career. But the combination of potentially elite skill and good size is one that's really alluring for Halttunen.

Also, as we look at the ways in which the top prospects of this club may start to come together to form a nucleus, you're going to have room for a wide variety of players. Not everyone is going to have to have Celebrini's mentality to make it. Kevin Labanc was a pretty damn useful player for a time, when deployed with the right linemates in the right situations. It's just too bad that the guy who helped make it click for him was 39 years old and in his last productive season. Halttunen might find a situation that works for him with the Sharks, but with others who are more age-appropriate.
If Halttunen can fix the alleged nutrition/conditioning issues and take his skating to the next level maybe there's a real player there. As it stands I'd rather bet on Edstrom's long term upside at a much more valuable position.

Any prospect can bust obviously but I just think the odds of Edstrom being an outright bust are near zero. Absolute worst case he's Nico Sturm.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Edstrom for me as well. Big 3Cs who can play both ways are super valuable, particularly when icing three sub-6' guys in the top 6. That said, won't be disappointed if Haultannen, Bystedt, Gushchin, or Graf surpass him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Starting last vote, this is where it gets really tough to pock. The next 10 or so are interchangeable.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not going to go off 1 prospect scrimmage and vote for Pohlkamp or Haltunen. Love what I saw. Now I want to see it consistently

Edstrom and Bystedt stand out the most for this round all year Considered
Halttunen had 61 points and 32 goals in 57 games last year in mostly a third line role. Also had 26 points and 17 goals in 18 games in the playoffs. Also had 5 points and 4 goals in 4 games in the playoffs. But no it’s only one prospect scrimmage.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I disagree. Halttunen has the scoring figured out, he’s getting his body in shape, and is starting to contribute in other ways. The kid is young and has plenty of upside in my opinion.
Skating is at a low level relative to the other two guys. He's a 1 tool guy right now. That tool is very good, but it's just 1 tool.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Skating is at a low level relative to the other two guys. He's a 1 tool guy right now. That tool is very good, but it's just 1 tool.
I feel that calling it very good is underselling it a bit

that said, I went Edstrom here but I could have easily chosen Filip. Edstrom feels more fluid to me for whatever reason.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Flip a coin between Bystedt/Edstrom for the next two. They will be players.

Then Haltunnen.

Number 10 is any one of Cagnoni, Sahlin-Wallenius, Graf, Guschin, or Pohlkamp.
Crazy that even at 10 we have guys who could be NHLers. I remember when our best prospect was Benn Ferreiro and we have 3 guys that if you squinted through teal colored glasses you could see as NHLers

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Crazy that even at 10 we have guys who could be NHLers. I remember when our best prospect was Benn Ferreiro and we have 3 guys that if you squinted through teal colored glasses you could see as NHLers
It was only a few years ago Ryan Merkley was our clear number 1. We'd probably rank him around 10 right now (assuming we all had the same hope for him back then we have for similar players now)

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If Halttunen can fix the alleged nutrition/conditioning issues and take his skating to the next level maybe there's a real player there. As it stands I'd rather bet on Edstrom's long term upside at a much more valuable position.

Any prospect can bust obviously but I just think the odds of Edstrom being an outright bust are near zero. Absolute worst case he's Nico Sturm.
Which if paid appropriately is still very good value to get in the Hertl deal just by way of clearing cap space (plus the 1st this year). I think Edstrom is a for sure NHLer like you said. Just a matter of upside/role. I went Bystedt over him just because I think that Bystedt might be able to add a little more with his better skating and offensive tools (particularly as a potential LW if C is too crowded or difficult). Think both Bystedt and Edstrom are clearly ahead of Halttunen though (and also probably Chernyshov as well).

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Halttunen doesn’t have the scoring figured out, though. He was barely above a point per game in the OHL in his D+1. That’s not bad but it’s dime a dozen and frankly less impressive than the scoring of both Bystedt and Edstrom in the SHL in their D+1 years.

Reactions: NiWa

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It was only a few years ago Ryan Merkley was our clear number 1. We'd probably rank him around 10 right now (assuming we all had the same hope for him back then we have for similar players now)
I mean Ryan Merkley was a weird one because you could always see his potential to be better but he just didn’t do it. He’d be similar to Cagnoni.

Halttunen doesn’t have the scoring figured out, though. He was barely above a point per game in the OHL in his D+1. That’s not bad but it’s dime a dozen and frankly less impressive than the scoring of both Bystedt and Edstrom in the SHL in their D+1 years.
He played on the third line.

llamanby

Mar 19, 2006
Ill take the 2 who have been playing in mens leagues for a few years over the goal scorer from Junior. Either way, we are lucky to be having this conversation about our 7/8/9 prospects instead of our 1/2/3 so everyone be pleasant :)

Bystedt/Edstrom/Halttunen

Crazy to think what out 10-20 prospect pool looks like given where we have been.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Halttunen had 61 points and 32 goals in 57 games last year in mostly a third line role. Also had 26 points and 17 goals in 18 games in the playoffs. Also had 5 points and 4 goals in 4 games in the playoffs. But no it’s only one prospect scrimmage.
3rd line, first powerplay on the epic most professional CHL London knights lol

Well see if that power play prowess translates to the NHL. Hopefully it does

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
3rd line, first powerplay on the epic most professional CHL London knights lol

We’ll see if that power play prowess translates to the NHL. Hopefully it does
The Sharks PP looks like it can be deadly.

Halttunen on the Left Dot
Celebrini on the Right Dot

Both open for one timers.

Eklund and Smith rotate between bumper and the blue line. With them different handedness they can rotate if they want to feel either Celebrini or Halttunen.

Musty as a net front presence.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean Ryan Merkley was a weird one because you could always see his potential to be better but he just didn’t do it. He’d be similar to Cagnoni.

He played on the third line.

So, at even strength, his offense wasn’t enough to earn him a top-6 role in the OHL in his D+1. Sounds like he doesn’t have the offense all figured out just yet…

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Which if paid appropriately is still very good value to get in the Hertl deal just by way of clearing cap space (plus the 1st this year). I think Edstrom is a for sure NHLer like you said. Just a matter of upside/role. I went Bystedt over him just because I think that Bystedt might be able to add a little more with his better skating and offensive tools (particularly as a potential LW if C is too crowded or difficult). Think both Bystedt and Edstrom are clearly ahead of Halttunen though (and also probably Chernyshov as well).
I would have felt significantly worse about the Hertl trade if we had gotten a Halttunen clone back instead of Edstrom, even if we didn't already have a Halttunen.

Reactions: STL Shark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad