Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Daniel Sprong signs with the Canucks (1 year, $975k)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
his even strength production per 60 minutes is crazy impressive.
however, this is mostly against bottom pairing defense pairings and the occasional mid pairing since he did this all from a bottom 6, (really fourth line) role.

lets say Rick Tocchet gets through to this beer-leaguer and he's OKAY enough on the D side of the puck to warrant middle-six duty.
He'll face tougher D for sure.
Can someone smarter than me adjust and prorate his stats based on playing 17:30 minutes a night, over 82 games with his points per 60 reduced 25%. What would this be? like 55 points? ( can you calculate this based on his last two years-averaged)

The thing about the Canucks is...they don't even necessarily have a "Middle-6". Or alternatively...all four of their lines are sometimes kinda "Middle-6". :laugh: They're just configured really strangely and Tocchet rolls lines a bit unconventionally and seems content in that.

So if there's a hope that Sprong will work out, it's probably in that sort of thing. Where...they can be difficult to gameplan against which lines are even the biggest threat offensively at times.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The thing about the Canucks is...they don't even necessarily have a "Middle-6". Or alternatively...all four of their lines are sometimes kinda "Middle-6". :laugh: They're just configured really strangely and Tocchet rolls lines a bit unconventionally and seems content in that.

So if there's a hope that Sprong will work out, it's probably in that sort of thing. Where...they can be difficult to gameplan against which lines are even the biggest threat offensively at times.
I think the Canucks looks to be a stronger version of the 2022-2023 Kraken with much better goaltending.

Reactions: Chainshot

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I suspect he's maybe not a popular locker room guy or something, because his on ice play suggests he's worth way more than he consistently earns.

Dude is a dynamic shooting threat that can create on his own, exactly what you want in a depth scoring winger.

Reactions: wetcoast

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I suspect he's maybe not a popular locker room guy or something, because his on ice play suggests he's worth way more than he consistently earns.

Dude is a dynamic shooting threat that can create on his own, exactly what you want in a depth scoring winger.
I think the big Issue is that he is a extremely limited player.

He can be relied on to score against other teams 3rd and 4th lines, but his defensive game makes him a liability against other teams top lines and he is one of the very last guys you’d want on ice to protect a lead.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

He can be relied on to score against other teams 3rd and 4th lines, but his defensive game makes him a liability against other teams top lines and he is one of the very last guys you’d want on ice to protect a lead.

Yeah I think he will be mostly utilized for home games to take advantage of a few match ups, whereas in road games his ice time will be slashed down.

Either way you have a high event player that can open up a game when you're down by 2. You don't need to have an entire forward line up playing great 2 ways, the Canucks have a lot.of those forwards I think this was a smart risk signing.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Nucks have like 12 guys capable of scoring 20 goals with Blueger being the only one that probably isnt.

Not saying they all will but this team is loaded with depth and while granted they only have 4 guys that you would look at and say they should score 30, there's several guys like Danton, Keifer and Podz that because they can hold themselves defensively, could see a big uptake in roles granted Podz would need to really have a huge camp.

I really like the makeup they've assembled, no matter how the lines play out, every line will have at least one very responsible 2way guy and every line can score.

While the D might not put up a ton of points, they will be very hard to play against and should wear down teams and make life miserable in front of Demko.

Great off-season!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Context is important, maybe ask a Penguins fan like myself or others and we'll clarify it for you.

Mike Sullivan was quoted about how to develop Sprong and before him it was MJ that was trying to figure that out and wasn't doing a good job of it. Tocchet was there, sure, but he wasn't the one in charge of that, at the end of the day, the usage and minutes were up to the head coach and Mike Sullivan wanted Sprong to learn how to play with Crosby by playing Crosby's game and getting him the puck.

You know, because why would you ask a prospect to play his game and work on his game to get better, nah mate, learn to play with 1 player that the coach didn't even bother to really try him with outside of a few shifts and when Sprong did look good with Malkin, he was immediately demoted to the 4th line or press box. They drafted a scorer and promptly had Sullivan try to turn him into a pass first winger that follows Sid around the ice only to never really have the intention of playing him anywhere near the top 6.

Tocchet, outside of being a fan of his since his playing days as a Penguin, I have been a fan of his coaching style and ideology for a while, I liked that even while his time in Tampa wasn't great, he identified Stamkos needing to get stronger and sent him off to train with Gary Roberts to gain some strength. If Tocchet was actually in charge of Sprong back then, he'd probably have a better chance. Rutherford also screwed Sprong royally by keeping him up and screwing up the waiver process for him, Rutherford has admitted this already so that's on the record. Seems like JR continues his reunion tour with ex-Pens and this time, hopefully he can correct the wrongs he did by Sprong.

Sprong played 25 NHL games under Sullivan, not sure how that “screws up his waiver process” but ok.

He then got traded to Anaheim and spent most of 2019-20 in the AHL.

He was barely a NHL player when he 18-20 years old and that has nothing to do with Sullivan.

It took him years to work up to getting consistent ice time as a 4th liner and that happened with his 3rd team at age 23-24.

IMG_8634.jpeg
IMG_8635.jpeg

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks went from arguably too few wingers, to arguably too many NHL-capable wingers:

RW:
Boeser
Debrusk
Garland
Podkolzin
Sprong

LW:
Joshua
Heinen
Sherwood
Hoglander
Di Giuseppe

Realistically it's going to be a very competitive environment for Sprong, and all the other wingers.
This is a good signing. They don't have to rely on Sprong when he isn't bringing his A game because the other options are likely much better defensively. Sprong will probably see the most ice time when Debrusk is playing the left side.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

I dont disagree with any of that and I think he was brought in to be a 4th line guy that can feast on weaker competition, I do think our overall system and staff could have a somewhat positive effect on him.

People keep referencing Kuzmenko but Tochett spent countless hours on him trying to make him better but Kuzmenko's biggest issue was he came in to camp in shit condition after spending the summer in Bali and just couldn't catch up.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Really? Are your surprised every off-season when this happens after his previous team gives up on him, only after some healthy scratches too.

He scores points. Nothing else. Negative contribution elsewhere. I would much rather the Leafs give Robertson this ice time and there is no way I want them both in the top nine...or fourth line.

Yes, because that's exactly what the Leafs need more of... A soft one-dimensional forward.
It's called internal competition. He has a contract that is below $1.3m and can be waived with no impact on the cap. Would love Robertson to be on the team full-time, but you also cannot gift players a spot either.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks went from arguably too few wingers, to arguably too many NHL-capable wingers:

RW:
Boeser
Debrusk
Garland
Podkolzin
Sprong

LW:
Joshua
Heinen
Sherwood
Hoglander
Di Giuseppe

Realistically it's going to be a very competitive environment for Sprong, and all the other wingers.
This is a good signing. They don't have to rely on Sprong when he isn't bringing his A game because the other options are likely much better defensively. Sprong will probably see the most ice time when Debrusk is playing the left side.
5 nhl wingers a side is not "too many", it's what you need. And 2 of the guys on that list (Podz, DiGiuseppe) really aren't truly NHL-capable. Or at least they have not demonstrated the ability to be everyday players. You can add Sprong to that list.

It is indeed some competition and I would also throw Lekkerimaki in the fold as well. But it's not obscene depth or anything. It's still very much top heavy and a bit of finger crossing at the bottom of the lineup. In the end, the "too many" wingers/forwards is really just these are the 14-15 guys that are going to see NHL time. Some will be call ups.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Does Sprong translate in Dutch to Kuzmenko lite?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
5 nhl wingers a side is not "too many", it's what you need.
Having five NHL-caliber wingers on each side is very strong depth, when comparing to most other teams it's a lot of competition.
Ideally, if five wingers per side is what you need, you would also need 5 good centres, because you would want depth at that position too
You would also want to carry at least 8 defensemen (cause you want an extra on each side)
Then you would also want to make sure you have two good NHL-quality goalies.
Except now your roster is 25 players.
Fact is, most NHL teams will not carry 10 waiver-eligible wingers on their team for very long, because they usually leave the extra reserve spots open for more important positions, so wingers become an afterthought. The depth becomes logistically very difficult to retain.
Most teams are only able to carry this many NHL wingers by taking advantage of waiver-ineligible young players who can clearly play NHL minutes, but who can be sent down to make roster space. The Canucks look like a team that has already loaded up at depth at the deadline (with guys off due to injury or something, and due to return for the playoffs).
It's likely someone gets traded or claimed at some point, if there aren't a dearth of injuries at training camp.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Having five NHL-caliber wingers on each side is very strong depth, when comparing to most other teams it's a lot of competition.
Ideally, if five wingers per side is what you need, you would also need 5 good centres, because you would want depth at that position too
You would also want to carry at least 8 defensemen (cause you want an extra on each side)
Then you would also want to make sure you have two good NHL-quality goalies.
Except now your roster is 25 players.
Fact is, most NHL teams will not carry 10 waiver-eligible wingers on their team for very long, because they usually leave the extra reserve spots open for more important positions, so wingers become an afterthought. The depth becomes logistically very difficult to retain.
Most teams are only able to carry this many NHL wingers by taking advantage of waiver-ineligible young players who can clearly play NHL minutes, but who can be sent down to make roster space. The Canucks look like a team that has already loaded up at depth at the deadline (with guys off due to injury or something, and due to return for the playoffs).
It's likely someone gets traded or claimed at some point, if there aren't a dearth of injuries at training camp.

They aren't all nhl caliber wingers though. DiGuiseppe and Podz really aren't true NHL caliber players. They are callup quality. Sprong is likely the same category. Yes there is a waiver eligibility thing but that is different issue entirely. Having guys claimed or not is mostly dependent on when you send them through waivers especially during camp. Most guys will make it through with no issues and those that do get taken are easily replaced.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's called internal competition. He has a contract that is below $1.3m and can be waived with no impact on the cap. Would love Robertson to be on the team full-time, but you also cannot gift players a spot either.
I get internal competition and am all for it. The Leafs have at least 17 F competing for 12 spots. I don't think we need to add Sprong to this mix.

I am good with Robertson battling Cowan, Steeves, Grebyonkin, Holmberg and Reaves for ice time. I also hope Robertson shows enough to get a long look during the season this year.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Does Sprong translate in Dutch to Kuzmenko lite?

No, speed skating bigger then hockey in the Netherlands. 0 percentile skating speed. I don't think it was only about defense,

1721664914070.png

For comparison. Defensive numbers took a nosedive with Sprong in the second half the season. Not sure why Lalonde thought it was a good idea to play Fabbri and Sprong on the same line.

1721666316527.png

Reactions: Grantham

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That should tell you something
It doesn't actually... It adds more confusion.

He is obviously performing well offensively and when u look at strictly offensive numbers comparison around the league, he should me making multi millions per year on long term contract.

But there is obviously a part of his game that teams really dislike about him... Whether it's off ice or defensively or other.. who really knows

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The very definition of a 1 dimensional player and yet that dimension is one of the hardest things to achieve in hockey.

Tocchet would deserve his jack Adams award if he could mould Sprong to be more well rounded and improve his work ethic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong's issue is that he's an extremely one-dimensional player who offers no value when he's not producing. While his numbers in the past few years have been really good out of a depth scorer, him losing any of his scoring touch is immediately going to make him a liability on the ice. I think that risk is why Sprong's limited to getting these 1 year deals and likely won't find a long-term home.

Reactions: OKR

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It doesn't actually... It adds more confusion.

He is obviously performing well offensively and when u look at strictly offensive numbers comparison around the league, he should me making multi millions per year on long term contract.

But there is obviously a part of his game that teams really dislike about him... Whether it's off ice or defensively or other.. who really knows
Watch him play, it will clear up much of that confusion

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
5 nhl wingers a side is not "too many", it's what you need. And 2 of the guys on that list (Podz, DiGiuseppe) really aren't truly NHL-capable. Or at least they have not demonstrated the ability to be everyday players. You can add Sprong to that list.

It is indeed some competition and I would also throw Lekkerimaki in the fold as well. But it's not obscene depth or anything. It's still very much top heavy and a bit of finger crossing at the bottom of the lineup. In the end, the "too many" wingers/forwards is really just these are the 14-15 guys that are going to see NHL time. Some will be call ups.
I don't see it as top heavy at all quite the opposite. We have an entire forward group minus Teddy that has or can score 20 goals, that is an insane amount of depth. Where I see a question mark at least until Lekkerimakki is ready is the lack of one more preferably Two,bonafide top six wingers.
I think there's a very good chance Heinen becomes a burrows type but only Brock and Debrusk or proven top six wingers. But that's ok because we have so much depth.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Watch him play, it will clear up much of that confusion
I’m going to go on a limb and say he plays better in a better system with better players and good coach and not whatever random trash he played for during his time in Anaheim.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He’s the Canucks Jeff Skinner just at 1/3 the price.

Both have defensive warts
Both have coaching warts
Both had near identical production last season
Oh it's you again.

6 time 30+ goal scorer vs. 1 time 20+ goal scorer. Hmm, I wonder why one gets paid 3 times as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad